Priceline Hotel: 3* NYC (Downtown-Soho-Financial) Embassy Suites

windjay
By windjay,
in

NYC starts to get busy in October and gets increasingly busier each week as we approach Christmas.

Whether rates will come down or not i don't know, but based upon current rates i think that $140 is too low for midtown. You're not terribly far off as i think you can likely be successful between $150-$180.

You stated above that you can stay anywhere in Manhattan, does this include the Downtown/Financial District? If so, did you bid it in the above bidding up to $140?

Hotwire shows what i believe to the Embassy Suites for $148 for your dates and maybe that's an option if anywhere on the island is good for your needs?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Always better (IMO) to bid early while making sure that you don't overbid. This allows you to be flexible and try some lowball offers.

I think the real question is how high are you willing to bid? As i said above i think it will take between $150-$180 to be successful. Of course we'll start lower, but to put together an appropriate strategy, is $140 your top bid?

It comes down to this: what is more important: price, star quality, or location.

The downtown Embassy Suites is a great hotel but not a great loation. A walk to the subway is probably just under 10 minutes, then another 15-20 minutes to midtown. It's not the ideal location for a midtown tourist, but certainly do-able and just over your budget. A perk of the ES is included hot breakfast and a mangager's reception cocktail hour each nite.

By raising your maximum bid you'll end up in a more centrally located area. The rooms will almost certainly be smaller than the above mentioned ES but it will take less time to get to all the sights you're interested in visiting. As well, with a midtown location it's much easier to go back and 'visit' the hotel to freshen up and/or lay down and rest for 15-60 minutes throughout the day.

The other option you have is to lower your star quality.

The downside of waiting is that currently a 4* hotel in the area will likely cost you close to $250+ if booked conventionally. If hotels begin to fill-up, rates could rise even more, and the rates of today will then seem inexpensive. Of course the opposite could occur and rates could go down, but it comes down to weighing the risk (Priceline rates go down $20 per nite or so) vs. the reward (locking in and saving $75+/nite).

Let us know which route you want to go and we'll advise an relavant strategy.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

In answer to your ?s I usuallyt go to NY 2 or 3 times a year. we travel by subway or walk mostly . Occasionally by cab. We will be spending more time at lINCOLN cENTER THAN ANYWHERE ELSE SO THE sOUTH SIDE OF cENTRAL PARK OR UPPER wEST SIDE ARE IDEAL. But we are flexible as to quality of hotel and location as longas it is clean. The best place we have stayed is Millenium UN. Price is an sissue but I have time to get the best deal possible. The Embassy suite seems to be a 3 star on priceline so I will try it at 125 and up today.

Keep in mind that there are other 3* rated hotels in this area which aren't as nice as the Embassy Suites (the ES was just downgraded from 4* to 3* according to the last report). The Holiday Inn has been reported in this zone as a 3* hotel. You can see the full list of hotels that we know about in each zone in the PRICELINE NEW YORK LIST.

The Marriott is down there as well but has not yet been reported on our board, not sure if it's a 3* or 4* according to Priceline.

If you will mostly be around Lincoln Center the MTW and UM/CPS zones would really be much more convenient for you.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]