AZ Phoenix Orange Tree Golf Resort Scottsdale

sfman22
By sfman22,
in

I stayed for one night at the Orange Tree Golf Resort in Scottsdale this past weekend. It is a 4* resort on Priceline, and while I was impressed with some of the things about the resort, ultimately I feel it does not deserve a 4-star rating.

I arrived late, around 9:00 p.m., and went to check in. The check-in area is small and had only one person working it, but there were only two people in front of me and I reached the front quickly. I gave the girl my name and she looked up my reservation. She then asked if I would like a king or two double beds, and I told her I would like a king. A few moments later she looked up from her computer and told me that there were no kings available, and I would have to use a room with two double beds. She noticed my disappointed reaction and added, "It happens." Now, I understand I was checking in late, and with a Priceline booking I could accept that I had to settle for two doubles (though two queens would certainly be nicer). But the fact that she did not know there were no kings left and offered me one, only to revoke the offer moments later, was frustrating, and she offered no apology.

I grabbed my room key and headed to my car. The parking is admittedly not good, but I managed to find a spot fairly close to my room. I found out the next day that it was about a 3 or 4 minute walk from my room, but the night I checked in I was offered a ride by someone from the hotel in a cart (not sure if he was security or just courtesy patrol). Either way, this impressed me. I arrived at my room and walked into the living room. It was pretty spacious with seating for five, and an old 27-inch television sat across the room. There are also TVs in both the bedroom area and the bathroom, but they are very old and small. The rooms do not have Pay-Per-View and the facility actually rents DVDs (there was a DVD player in my room). The decor of the room was very 90s, and the old TVs added to the out-of-date feel.

There is a nice porch area (balcony on upper floors) with two outdoor recliners. I checked this out and then wandered into the bathroom. The towels and rags were decorated creatively like swans and seashells, which was a nice touch. One of the best things about the room is the personal spa that is included with jets and all. The tub was pretty deep and very relaxing. The shower and toilet were on the opposite end of the room, with a closet in the middle that provided a couple nice bathrobes to use during the stay.

Back in the main room, there is an area with a small fridge, microwave, toaster, and sink. There is a large amount of silverware, flatware, and glassware provided, along with directions to the nearest grocery stores. I therefore found it odd that there was no stovetop or anything further provided, given that they provide such a large amount of dinnerware. There was also a coffee pot, which worked well when I used it the following morning.

The beds had memory foam mattresses, which some may enjoy. However, I found these mattresses to be too firm and actually woke up fairly stiff. I closed all the blinds to the windows before going to bed (there are seven in the suite) but it was still pretty bright in the room when I woke up at 8:00. This may be a problem for some. I enjoyed the light the windows provided, and there were also several lamps that kept the room well lit during the night. My room was right next to the pool, which was a nice area, and the area around the rooms is very pretty. I enjoyed my walk back to my car, drove to the front, and checked out with no problems. NO RESORT FEE, which is great.

A few other small complaints:

-The showerhead was broken where it ran into the wall, still functional, but ugly.

-I had no cell phone service in my room (AT&T)

-There is a $10 charge for internet use

-There were some strange scratches on the ceiling in my room and a few other things that just made it look out of date.

Overall I would not rate this resort worthy of four stars. It easily would have been a decade ago, but there seem to have been few upgrades since then. Even the room keys are old and not electronic. The amenities the resort offers are nice, and some room features are good, particularly the spa and the pretty good amount of cooking options provided, but ultimately I would rate this hotel in the 3 to 3 1/2 star range. Nevertheless, I enjoyed my stay overall and got a good price, so if you can get this resort for a good price you will probably be satisfied.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]