PDX Portland Compact Avis

dlbeck
By dlbeck,
in

I'm supposed to pick up my Avis car that I bid on in Portland Oregon today. However, Portland is completely snowed under and the roads are so icy that they have issued a mandate that ALL vehicles must now have chains. Avis said they don't supply chains. Therefore I can't even drive the car off their lot even if I get there which now looks doubtful as Southwest just informed me my flight will probably be canceled from Denver to Portland. So how can I be expected to pay for a car I can't drive even if I was there? By the way Avis says they don't rent or supply chains because they think they hurt their cars. Screw the customer let's protect our cars. Interesting concept. Avis also told me the fine for driving without chains is $150. So I'd be immediately subject to a fine if I didn't wreck the thing first. Any advice would be appreciated.

Don

I'd contact PRICELINE immediately if that is where you got the car from. As you said, if you can't take the car off the lot without being fined even...

The first two flights this AM by Southwest to Denver have been cancelled, but the 12:45 is not yet listed as cancelled.

Thanks for the reply. I just filled out the Priceline online help request so hopefully I will hear from them. Based on a phone call I just received from family members in Oregon they all said don't even bother to get on a flight. Things are really bad up there. Avis said I could buy chains if I can find them but that the roads are so bad I couldn't get to a place to buy them. This is a catch 22 and I hope Priceline has a heart. I've used them many times but never run into a situation like this.

ok I just spoke to Priceline customer care. They understood the situation and have escalated it to another department in Priceline. They said I would receive an email as to their decision in January. I'll be surprised if I ever see this money again but I still don't understand how they expect a customer to pay for a car that can't be driven off the lot without getting a $150 fine or in a wreck due to an ice and snow storm. We have decided not to even bother flying there today. It's not worth it. Any other advice is still appreciated.

• 4 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]