Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTW) Hilton New York

slazman
By slazman,
in

Hi - after some general bidding advice given a month ago, it's time to get stuck into some bidding for a room on 7th and 8th September.

I've read the items on rebidding and zones etc. as recommended and decided that until I actually get involved there's nothing more that can be researched. I've seen that you help out with bidding strategies so any chance on some guidance?

Need to be close for Theatre, Shopping and Sightseeing, so looking for MTE/MTW or UMT-CPS for those dates (I guess with public transport you're never very far away from these).

4* sounds great but will be happy with 3*, even the article on star ratings suggest 2.5* would do - a nice well serviced room is all we want ... amenities aren't that much of a consideration. From other posts, there is a suggestion that rates are higher for this week.

Am I going to get the best deal on Priceline or should I look at Hotwire? Should I have a fall back strategy if so what should that be?

As to cost I really don't know as we are used to being ripped off by hotels in the UK - but $150 per night feels like the right maximum ... anything less means more spending money for my Wife!

Once the room is sorted out, further guidance on an itinary for our first visit to New York would be really great ... you seem to have a very good handle on this sort of thing.

You have some time so i would start with the following approach. I have raised your limit slightly to $160 as they may be what it takes (rates are indeed a tad high). If you don't want to go that high you can change the last two bids to $145 and $150.

You have two re-bid zones in there area when bidding 4*, feel free to confirm with the board if you're unsure.

This is what i suggest:

Select 4* MTE and...

Bid $120, if rejected add MTW and...

Bid $130, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $160

Feel free to ask any questions regarding the above. Good Luck and let us know how you progress.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, you got it :)

Just remember that if down the road you ened up switching to 3* then they both no longer qualify (only one of them does... as the other has 3* hotels).

Don't know when you intend to start bidding, but double-check these before each bidding cycle just to make sure that no 4* hotels have been added to either of these zones.

Good Luck.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Can you double-check the zone and hotel?

There are two Hiltons that i know of in midtown (Hilton Times Square and Hilton New York) and they are both in the MTW zone. Can you confirm the zone you won and which hotel?

It seems obvious, but the key to seeing as much of NYC as you can in a short period of time is planning!! Sites where there will likely be lines (ie- going to the top of the empire state building) are best done early in the morning or near closing so that the wait is least... no sense in waiting in line while you could be doing other things. Some things you want to do will be avialble 24/7 (or nearly anytime you want)... so plan those things late at nite so you're not missing out on another event that has limited hours. Also, travel short distances by foot and further distances by subway... the subway is the least expensive and often the quickest mode of transportation.

If you mention your age bracket and what sort of things you like to do we can probably offer additional suggestions. If you put together an itinerary i'll also take a look at it to see if it can be improved upon.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]