Canada Toronto Le Royal Meridien King Edward

reavtrain
By reavtrain,
in

Hotel Review

Beautiful hotel, excellent location. Definetly a 4 star hotel. Front desk gave me a free upgrade to a single queen with a large sitting area. Concierge was available and very helpful although there was a significant delay getting my car one time. Parking was $28 canadian a day. Overall everyone was curtious and I had a great time.

• 1 year later...

This 4* rating is very much in the eye of the beholder. The hotel was built in the early 1900's and it has the style of a Grand Hotel of that era. Like many similar hotels in New York, Chicago or Europe - what makes it a 4* hotel is related more to the "Common Ammenities" of the hotel (eg. Restaurants, Ballrooms, Conceirge) rather than the actual rooms themselves.

We were given a seventh floor room that was about 450 sq. ft. It was a room that told you a lot about the architecture of the hotel - huge 12 foot celings, but only one little window. The wallpaper was old, and their wasn't enough furniture to fill the space - a larger bed or a loveseat/coffee table would have made is feel less sparse. The 12 foot celings also meant that it took a long time to warm the room up.

The Queen bed was old - and didn't really have 4* bedding. I know that may sound picky, but even the 3* Radisson's have tried to keep up with the whole Heavenly Bed, Sleep Advantage strategy that Westin and Crowne Plaza.

The bathroom was pretty nice (all marble) and appeared newer than the rest of the room.

Like all 4* hotels they ding you for everything -

Local/1-800 calls = $1.50 CDN

High-Speed Internet = $13.95 CDN

Parking = $27.00 CDN (Valet Only)

My personal room/bedding preferences lead me to choose the 4* Westin, Sheraton, and Intercontinental in the Toronto DT zone - but if you like a 4* hotel for the restaurants and bars then this place might work for you.

If I had paid the $230.00 CDN rack rate for this room I would have been upset, but $60 USD on PriceLine still makes it a good deal since you couldn't get a Super-8 in the GTA burbs for $60 USD.

• 6 months later...

A friend and I just stayed there the last weekend in May 2006. I got it for $60 on Priceline. I was a bit nervous after reading some reviews on the Internet but this hotel passed all our expectations and then some! The hotel was one of the best I've ever stayed in and the $60 rate made it even better. Great location, one block from the subway and since you are on King St. the streetcar stops right down the street. Plenty of restaurants in the area. We walked most days to the Rogers Center (i.e. SkyDome) and it was about 20 minutes, real easy.

The room we got was huge. Two double beds, two (!) closets, and a separate shower room and toilet room, each with sinks. Plus a desk and a small table. Plenty of room for two. The entire hotel and room were very clean, the staff was very courteous to boot. Excellent consierge too. We didn't try the restaurant or bar so I cannot comment on that.

I would definetely stay at this hotel again, I would even pay more if it weren't available on Priceline. I cannot say enough about this hotel!

Steve

• 7 months later...

Very nice hotel, however perhaps its not intended for the 20 something couple.

I got the room for 65 a night on priceline.

Check in was very very fast, we checked in very late, around 10pm.

This hotel is very old and charming. Its really not my style.

There is no pool, and no on site public hot tub, or sauna.

No business room with computers.

This hotel seems to be catering towards older couples.

The gym is free, which is a nice touch where the trend is for health clubs to charge an extra fee to use the hotel gym.

The hotel is spotless, but dated.

Valet parking is 28 dollars. I chose to park in the municipal lot a few blocks away on queen street, and paid 11 dollars per night. Its about a ten minute walk to the lot, not a problem at all.

We were assigned a room on the seventh floor.

It was a very large room, 12 foot ceilings.

Everything was very clean, but well worn. The couch had wear marks, the bed was worn out.

It seems like this hotel is always trying to up sell you. There is a mini bar with very expensive liquors and sodas in there (4.50 for a cranberry juice, 10 dollars for a shot of liquor in a mini bottle).

Even 6.95 for a condom in a discreet package.

The hotel breakfast did not look great. We opted for tim hortons across the street. Great coffee, and breakfast sandwiches on the cheap.

The hotel is within walking distance or a short cab ride to many destinations within the city.

The doorman was an excellent help, giving us instructions, and offering his help when ever he saw us.

Nice hotel, but I'm glad I only paid 65 a night for it on priceline, as the list rate is absurd for what your getting (and not getting).

We stayed at the sheraton centre before, and liked it much better, and it was even cheaper.

• 1 year later...

Stayed in august 2008, and this is a response to the 2005 reviews.

King Edward is in a great location. It is on King Street just East of Yonge and is about 75 steps from the lobby to the stairwell to the subway station (King). Our room, a King bed, had a walk in closet and the room was about 400 square feet or so. The bathroom had a tub sink and toilet. The carpeting in the room was a little worn but not bad. The bed had a down comforter and down pillows. I found the room to be neat and clean. The hallway carpeting on the 6th floor appeared to be new.

Pros: Location, room size, cleanliness, hospitality from the staff 9everyone said "Good morning" in the AM.

Cons: Plastic tubes for shampoo, conditioner and body gel. Only bar soap for the sink.

Rack rate was $209, got P/L for $65. Taking money paid into account, this is a 5-star hotel, otherwise a solid 4 star hotel.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]