Priceline Hotel: Where should I stay?

1Venus
By 1Venus,
in

Hi. I hope someone can help me here. I'm traveling to San Jose, California, from December 15-22, 2008. I will be meeting a friend for a couple of days, but for the rest of the trip I'm going to be a woman traveling alone and I want to stay somewhere convenient, but safe. I do plan to use Priceline (or maybe Hotwire) but I don't know what zone/city would be best for my tourist base. It looks like the main 4* that have come up currently are the San Jose Marriott, the Santa Clara Hyatt, and the Santa Clara Hilton with all coming up well under $100/night (actually I'd like to stay under $75.) Which zone do you think would be best for me? As I said, I'd just like to use it as a base for touring the area, but I'd like to be close to restaurants and shopping and feel safe venturing out at night. I am planning on renting a car, if that makes a difference.

Thanks for your help. :)

PS - For those of you with knowledge of the area, I'm open to tourist attraction suggestions, as well. :)

San Jose/Silicon Valley is very spread out. Wherever you stay you'll be driving. Here "close to restaurants and shopping" means a short drive, not walking distance. Downtown San Jose is pedestrian friendly but there's not much shopping there.

Do you only want 4* hotels? Santa Clara usually has the best 4* rates. Milpitas zone often has great bargains (under $50) on 3.5* or 3*.

Do you want to stay at one hotel for seven nights? Or would you split your bid to experience two hotels in different areas?

As for "single woman travelling alone" I don't think there are any bad areas or zones you need to avoid, as long as you're bidding 3* or higher.

Thanks for the advice. :) Actually I'm fairly flexible in terms of my stay. I could split the stay between 2 hotels and I certainly could bid for a 3* rather than 4* room. It's good to know that downtown is lacking shopping opportunities, so I think I will look to the other zones. Thanks again.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]