Priceline Hotel: 3* New Orleans (Airport MSY) Four Points Sheraton

mfinn
By mfinn,
in

I need help with bidding on Priceline in New Orleans. This will be my first time using Priceline and I am a little nervous.

Desired Zone: Convention Center District. I would like to get the Hilton Riverside close to Canal Street, next to the Riverwalk. I believe this hotel is considered 3*. We are going on a cruise from this port and would like to be as close as possible.

Second Choice: French Quarter, no specific hotel in mind.

Check-in: 11/26

Check-out: 11/28

4 people, 1 room

Free rebid zones: NO East, NO West Bank

Max. Bid $60.00/nite

Current rates for these dates:

Hilton Riverside - $249/nite

Renaissance arts Hotel - $159/nite

Hampton Inn Suites Convention Center - $212/nite

W New Orleans - $209/nite

All of these rates found on Sidestep.com

Also, can one use a debit card instead of a credit card with Priceline? I need to save my credit card for the cruise.

Thanks for your help!

I'll let someone with more experience give you a strategy, but a couple of things I notice.

First of all, the Hilton is a 4* on Priceline, and I think the R.A. & W are too. Also the Sheraton on Canal, in the same zone. That actually helps you, since I think at the 4* level, there are more free rebid zones.

Next, double check some of those rates. $200+ seemed high for the Hampton, so I checked the Hampton website for your dates and found it for $159.

If your goal is to be as close as possible to the cruise line, the Hampton is probably a half mile closer than the Hilton, as would be some of the Marriott properties (Res. Inn & Courtyard). That said, with luggage, you'll almost certainly be taking a cab to the cruise, right? and the difference in fares between those or even any others in the FQ is likely just a buck or two. And the Hilton is very nice, IMO.

Good luck and enjoy your cruise!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I'll wait for a response to Swag's comments before suggesting a strategy, but will also point out that Priceline only guaranteed double occupancy... after that it's at the discretion of the hotel. It's sometimes a problem in crowded cities like NYC, but rarely a problem in family oriented cities such as Orlando.

I don't know enough about the New Orleans hotels to know if this is a problem or not (perhpas Swag can add his thoughts) but i bring it up because i do know that much of the French Quarter is small and quaint, don't know if that carries over to the room or not, which would make 4 in a room a difficult proposition.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you Swag and thereyouare! I appreciate the information.

The NO C&VB gave me a link to info. regarding different pre/post cruise packages around the port (http://www.nomcvb.com/travelagent/cruisedetails.htm). I called the Hilton toll-free # (1-800-Hiltons) and requested the code "HILTON CRUISIN" and received a 99.00/night for a 2 bed deluxe room that includes free 7 day parking while we are at sea (a $84 value). The total with tax came to $114.87. I thought this is a good deal since we would have to pay for parking anyway making the room $30.87 for a Saturday night. I was told the Hilton Riverside is 8/10 of a mile from the cruise ship port, so this is going to work out real well. The package price is only good for the Sat. night stay and you need to show the front desk your cruise docs. in order to get the rate. I inquired about Friday night and it was $279.00 for the night, plus $22.00 to park the car, so I am still interested in trying to get it at a better rate on Priceline. It would make it so much more convenient to stay at one hotel the entire time. If we were to get a room with only one bed, it would not be the end of the world. However, I am hoping since we requested a room with 2 beds for the Sat. night, they might be willing to accommodate us for Friday night.

Also, the Hilton does accept Debit cards to pay for the room as long as it has a MC or Visa logo on it.

Thanks again for your assistance. I really appreciate it!

Mary in KC

thereuare - I clicked on the Cruise Port Schedules link before I posted previously, but I did not see New Orleans in the pull-down list.

You are right... sorry.

I know it was in the list for inclusion, i'll have to take a look to see if it fell thru the cracks or if there was a reason it was removed.

Thanks for bringing it to my attention.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Well, besides possibly the boutique hotels, most of what I've seen in N.O. are typical of any big city, vis a vis room size. It stands to reason that the larger the hotel, the more likely they are to be able to honor your request, and the Hilton is the biggest hotel in town.

If you do get the Hilton on PL for the first night, you will have to pay the same parking fee as you would with a regular booking. There's a Harrahs right across the street, though, that may offer cheaper rates (or free if you gamble).

I used Priceline for Friday, Nov. 26th in New Orleans (Metairie). First bid of $30 was accepted.

Congratulations, you got your price of $30 for a 3-star hotel room.

Four Points Sheraton New Orleans Airport

New Orleans Airport (MSY)

6401 Veterans Memorial Boulevard

Metairie, LA 70003

504-85-5700

Check-In Date: Fri, Nov 26, 2004

Check-In Time: After 03:00 PM

Check-Out Date: Sat, Nov 27, 2004

Check-Out Time: 12:00 PM

Your Offer Price: $30.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 1

Subtotal: $32.00

Taxes and

Service Fees: $10.12

Total Charges: $40.12

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]