Priceline Hotel: Need bidding strategy for Jekyll Island, Ga

SavannahMacGuy
By SavannahMacGuy,
in

Properties on the island in general are pretty dated/shabby. Would love to get the Jekyll Island Club hotel, but not sure it ends up on the discount sites.

I have Pricelined the Holiday Inn in summers past for about $43. Not sure what other properties come up.

Any suggestions, insights appreciated. I would love to get the JIC for say, $60 or $70, but not sure if that's ever an option.

• 1 year later...

To update my information for this particular stay, I stayed at the Jekyll Inn (now the Clarion Resort) via a half-price Entertainment Book Offer that offered rooms at 50% off rack rates.

I was advised by the hotel list on another board at the time that the Entertainment Book values would often beat Priceline prices for a couple of properties on Jekyll, and that proved to be the case.

I have spent many years traveling to this island for a family gathering (I prefer a hotel for a little extra privacy while most of the family rents a house).

Many of the hotels on this island are sadly in very shabby, deplorable condition. It is exceedingly hard to find a nice room on the island.

From my Priceline experience, the 2.5* odds are overwhelming that you will get the Holiday Inn.

This is an awful, awful property.

The last time I stayed there there was vomit in the hallway that the staff didn't bother to clean up for two days.

For this reason, I can't in good conscience recommend that you make a 2.5* bid here, unless you see that people are having consistent, recent success at another property.

There are other, non-chain alternatives that are far better choices. The Jekyll Island Club, The Beach Club, and the Jekyll Oceanview Resort.

If you must stay at a chain hotel on this island - shoot for the Clarion Resort (recently renovated but still feels like a government housing project) or the Days Inn (barren but relatively clean).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]