Priceline Hotel: Advice for NYC MTW 10/9-11

shanegerson
By shanegerson,
in

I am looking to stay in a 4* in New York, Midtown West (Priceline) from Saturday, 10/9 until Monday, 10/11. I need 2 rooms (does that make a difference when it comes to success of bids?)

I have looked at Hotels.com and hotwire. The going retail rate seemst to be $220-$350+ (This is Columbus Day weekend).

I have pulled up on Hotwire a 4* (out of 5) in the Theatre District for $245 w/restaurant, pool, fitness center, business center. Also, a 3.5* in Midtown Central (corresponds to Priceline MTW) for $187.

I would like to find something around $150 or less. Do I need to go to 3* or am I just out of luck for that weekend?

I appreciate any advice. Thanks.

Shane

First question i would ask is why restrict yourself to MTW only? You would greatly better your chances by allowing other midtown zones, such as MTE and UM/CPS. These zones are so close together, and transportation (taxi or mass transit) is so readily available that zones placement in this area isn't usually that big of a deal.

In MTE you could get the UN Millenium Plaza which is pretty far each, but even that is less than a 10 minute walk to Grand Central (where there are plenty of subways available) as well as busses that pass right by the hotel that can take you in almost any direction (or to a nearby subway stop). Give this a read: PRICELINE ZONES FOR NEW YORK.

Have you tried bidding at all yet and do you understanding RE-BIDDING.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have not tried bidding yet. I'm trying to figure out where to bid. I have time, so I don't want to give a sucker bid that's too high., but I don't want this to end up as a drawn out process. I do understand rebidding, so I think I may try starting with a 4* and then go to a 3*. I can also have the other person I'm traveling with start an account to doubly my re-bidding attempts.

As far as location, I would really rather stick with MTW. Taking the subway is fine, but for this particular trip, I don't want to walk 10 minutes to take a subway to walk another 10 minutes. Perhaps UM/CPS will work.

I'm really looking for thoughts on a starting price, and to know if Columbus day is a valid holiday weekend (as far as higher rates) in NYC.

With rates i'm currently seeing i don't think you'll be successful for a 4* for $150 or less.

I would start as follows:

4* MTW

Bid $120, if rejected add UM/CPS zone and...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $150.

If that's rejected try:

3* MTW

Bid $90, if rejected add UM/CPS zone and...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $120

If that's rejected have your traveling partner bid:

3* MTW

Bid $130, if rejected add UM/CPS zone and...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $150

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I got up to $195/night for 4* in MTW & Central Park South with no takers, and I thought most of the hotels listed on this board as being 3* were dumps (based on reviews from various web sites), so I booked a stay at The Edison Hotel for the same price, plus I have the flexibility to cancel.

Perhaps I could have gotten a better hotel for a little more or a little farther away, but at some cost I would rather have more control over where I stayed.

Thanks for the help.

So your limit isn't $150?

It sounds as if you're giving up hope on Priceline but i wouldn't do so yet. Keep your cancellable reservation and continue to bid once a week or so. If you're limit is actually $195 i think there is a good chance you will ultimately be successful (if you're willing to add MTE i think it even betters your chances).

If you add your <new> bidding limit we'll provide an updated strategy.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]