Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* NYC (Times Square-Theatre District) Millenium Broadway

ldtraveler
By ldtraveler,
in

Hi, I am going to NYC for 11/25 and 11/26, I realize that it is Thanksgiving week and probably very difficult. I would like to stay in CPA, MTE, MTC areas in that order of preference. I did see a 3.5 star hotel for $165 a night. I am going to bid in hopes that I could get it for less than $165. I did not think that was too much considering it is such a busy week. But obviously, I would like to pay less since I will have to pay for parking for my car. What is the least amount that I should bid for CPA, MTE, MTC, and I would accept 2 star or higher. Thanks.

Welcome to BetterBidding... we're glad you found us too! :)

Few comments before suggesting a bidding strategy...

"Central Park Area" is a HOTWIRE zone but you're talking about bidding on PRICELINE, so please look at the PRICELINE zones and let us know which one(s) you're willing to accept. I'd also think twice about this zone (based upon HOTWIRE's boundaries), especially at a low 2* level... while the south part of the zone is 'fine', the upper streets (80's and 90's) are a bit out of way for the typical visitor and train options begin to get reduced to just one or two lines and then also begin to involve a transfer for most places you're interesting in going.

I'd also advise against a low star rated hotel in NYC... while some many be fine, others may not be, and with the opaque providers you dont' really have the ability to choose which type you will get. HOTWIRE does show a 3.5* hotel in the MTC zone for $165/nite and i would sooner use that as my baseline and try for a 3* hotel in any of the midtown zones at $165 or better... but it's your trip and your budet so you know your needs better than i would.

Speaking of zones, you mention bidding CPA (which i've discussed above) and MTE and MTC... again, MTC is a HOTWIRE zone, if you're looking for a bidding strategy (for PRICELINE) please use the PRICELINE named zones and let us know which one(s) you're willing to bid. For most users any of the midtown zones work out to be convenient, but i'll also add that some of the 3.5* and lower hotels in the MTE zone begin to get a little far from the subway (still do-able at an under 15 minute walk, but you need to decide if this is acceptable or not if you're going to bid this zone).

Lastly, depending where you're coming from, there you can find a garage outside of the city and commute in or find a less expensive (notice i didn't say cheap :) ) garage near the hotel.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts regarding the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thank you for the very thorough response, I was confused about bidding but now realize that priceline is the site for bidding. Also, I appreciate your commments about the locations, I should have mentioned that I am going to visit someone who lives on 97th and Madison, and I will not be doing any site seeing. So that is why I picked those out of the way zones and I agree for a normal traveler they would not be the best location from which to see NYC. I also, appreciate your comments about the 2 star hotels. The zones that would be the best location for me are probably Upper East Side, Upper West Side, Central Park South and Midtown East. I looked at the hotel lists for those areas and it looks like the lowest rated listed hotel is 2.5 star. THere is a 2.5 star listed for Upper WEst Side (Excelsior) and a 2.5 star hotel listed for Midtown (Court Yard by Marriot). Those would both be ok with me. I realize that there is probably a risk that there are some other 2.5 stars on priceline that are not listed that I could end up with, is that right? It looks like there are very few hotels in Upper East and Upper West, a total of 3 listed, I realize that there could be more. As for parking, I am traveling with a small child and will need to drive my car to the city with all of our "stuff." Thanks for the suggestion. So if I bid Upper East Side, Upper West Side, Central Park South and Midtown East for a 2.5 star what should I bid? The prices do go up quite a bit for the night before Thanksgiving. The Courtyard by Marriot UES is listed at Tues $186 and Wed $305, Empire Hotel Tues $309, Wed $339, Excelsior Tues $274, Wed $344. Thanks again.

One more comment... if you intend to take taxis you should be fine with the UWS as you can cut thru the park, but if you intend to use the subway getting from UWS to UES. I'll also reiterate may caution about a 2.5* hotel... but wont' comment further.

Regarding the hotel lists... you're correct, that you could receive a hotel other than the ones on the list. Not only could there be others, but it's likely, since we don't see much bidding in the UES or UWS zones, and when we do, it's not typically at the low star ratings.

what should I bid?
Based upon the hotel direct prices you've provided above, how much of a discount would you need in order to make an 'opaque' purchase worthwhile? Once we know your maximum bid we can determine where you should start and outline a strategy for you to follow up to your maximum.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I have been looking at hotels all day. I did find two hotels on the West side that are within my budget that I could book direct. They have mixed reviews but the locations would be good for me and as I mentioned I will not be in room except to sleep. Also, I have the option of the hotwire booking that I saw earlier today for $165 for a 3 star. I would like to keep my total cost including taxes and fees to $400 total for the two nights. So that is a maximum of about $165 a night bid. I do not want to create work for you if it is unrealistic. I guess since I can get a direct deal from the hotel on Tues $159/ Wed $179 that I would want to bid up to $130 a night. Actually, before you create a strategy or put any more thought into this bid, can I think about it for a day or two? Thanks!

I guess I missed the boat with the hotels that I could have booked directly with. One was Hotel Belleclaire $159/$179 shared bath and the other was Days Inn $126/$211. Days Inn is not showing any availability and the Belleclaire rooms are no longer available. It is probably a good thing and was probably not a good idea. Hotwire has a 2 star CPA hotel for $153 a night, I think it might be the Amsterdam Court Hotel? 3 out of 5 rating based on 260+ reviews and amenities are boutique and internet. It would be within my budget. Anyway, I was wondering if you could recommend a bidding strategy for priceline. My zones would be Upper East, Upper West, Central Park South, Midtown East and I could also include MTW, Times Square and ESB, if it would get me a better deal. My maximum bid price per night would be $150. 3 star quality level. I would accept 2.5 star in UES, UWS. Thanks.

At the 3.5* level you have THREE re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 3.5* UES, UWS, CPS,...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $95, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTE, MTW, Times Square, and ESB,...

Select 3.5* UES, UWS, MTE,...

Bid $100, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $105, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $115, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* CPS, MTW, Times Square, and ESB,...

Select 3.5* UES, UWS, MTE, CPS...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $135, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3.5* UES, CPS, MTW, Times Square, and ESB,...

Select 3.5* UES, UWS, CPS, MTE, MTW, Times Square, and ESB...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $155 (if you want to try another $5)

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

thanks, this looks great, I just tried to figure out the "re-bid zone 1,re-bid zone 2, re-bid zone 3" part.

Select 3.5* UES, UWS, CPS,...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone1... (chelsea?)

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone2...(Long Island City)

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone3... (?)

I can only figure out two re-bid zones. Chelsea area and Long Island City. They are the only two zones that do not offer a 3.5 star of higher property. So am I correct that if my first attempt fails, I should add the chelsea area zone, then if rejected add Long Island City area? Are these what you meant when you wrote re-bid zones? Thanks.

There are still currently three re-bid zones available at the 3* level in NYC.

List each zone in the NYC region and the highest star level associated with each... making sure that only one zone is selected each time you determine the highest star rating in that zone. We'll then figure out where you're not seeing the third re-bid zones.

In NYC there are 12 zones, here are the highest star level offered in each zone

Brooklyn 3.5 star

Central Park South 4 star

Chelsea 3 star

Downtown, SOHO, Financial District 4 star

ESB 4 star

Long Island City 2.5 star

MSG 3.5

MTE 4

MTW 4

TS 4

UES 3

UWS 4

So I think that still means, two rebid zones, Chelsea and Long Island City, the UES is 3 stars BUT that would be my original bid so it would not be a rebid zone, right? I am not sure if I am missing something. Thanks.

Yes, you're correct (since we don't see much UES bidding i didn't check to make sure that 3.5* bidding was offered there. Since you're unable to win a 3.5* hotel in the UES zone, it would be silly to include it in your previous bids (other than as a re-bid zones). I'll revise the bidding strategy as follows:

Start with our link to PRICELINE

Select 3.5* MTE, UWS, CPS,...

Select 3.5* MTW, Times Square, and ESB,...

Select 3.5* MTW, UWS, CPS,...

Select 3.5* MTE, Times Square, and ESB,...

Select 3.5* MTE, UWS, CPS, MTW...

Select 3.5* MTE, UWS, CPS, Times Square, ESB

Select 3.5* UES, UWS, CPS, MTE, MTW, Times Square, and ESB...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $155 (if you want to try another $5)

Any questions feel free to ask

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

I just tried the first half of the strategy

Select 3.5* MTE, UWS, CPS,...

Select 3.5* MTW, Times Square, and ESB,...

Select 3.5* MTW, UWS, CPS,...

Select 3.5* MTE, Times Square, and ESB,...

got rejected, but I did notice that Hotwire has a 3 star hotel for $113 in ESB, do you think that I should do that? The amenities are fitness, laundry and kitchenette, I think it is Murray hill east suites? Do you think it is? It seems like a really good price. Thanks.

It depends what you're looking for reom this stay...

The Murray Hill Suites is functional but it's probably not as nice as most of the 3.5* properties you'll likely receive via PRICELINE. On the other side of the coin, the Murray Hill Suites is a converted apartment buidling, so the rooms will have a small kitchenette and will provide you with more space than the average NYC hotel room.

PRICELINE rates the Murray Hill East Suites as a 2* property, so comparing it to a PRICELINE 3.5* property (the star rating you're currently bidding) is not really an apples-to-apples comparison.

Let us know what you decide and the route you take or if we can be of further help.

I just got a room through PRICELINE. I followed your strategy exactly and ended up with the Millenium Broadway. THe reviews look pretty good. I was about to give up and just book through HOTWIRE as they had what I suspect was the Murray Hill East suites for $129 a night which with fees turns out to about what I just paid on priceline. However, as you mentioned this is a 3.5 star property versus what priceline would rate as a 2 star property for the same price.

I used the PRICELINE hotel link.

Thank you again for all of your help!

Thank you! Thank you!!

Tuesday, November 25, 2008

Check-Out Date: Thursday, November 27, 2008

Hotel Name: Millennium Broadway Hotel

145 West 44th Street

New York, New York 10036-4012

Your Offer Price: $130.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 2

Subtotal: $260.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $52.02

Total Charges*: $312.02

Congratulations on your win! :)

Glad to see you're happy with the results... we love to see reactions such as yours! While the Murray Hill Suites is 'fine' and provides a lot of space, it really doesn't compare to this property as it's truly a class above. (as the star rating indicates)

Thank you for sharing your results with the board and for using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Have a great stay and enjoy your time in NYC.

xuan_xuan,

Can you please post your win to the board as a NEW TOPIC... the information will be able to help others (who won't know to look in this thread to see a win for 11/21) and posting your win as a new topic will anable this thread to appear in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

Thank you.

I recently booked a 3.5 star hotel Millenium Broadway $130 a night on priceline with your help and did use your link. However, I keep checking hotwire out of curiousity to see the price fluctuations. It is all very interesting and obsessing. Anyway, I just found a 2 star condo on hotwire for $76. Do you have any idea what it is? That seems ridiculously low. It is in the CPA and the amenities are condo, kitchen, studio, a/c, fitness center, in room laudry, laudry facilites, high speed internet access. Thanks.

This property has not been reported to the board... nor would i necessarily recommend it. Parts of the CPA zone go very far north (bordering Harlem) and i wouldn't recommend a 2* hotel in NYC.

Note that the price fluctuations are normal and to be expected... HOTWIRE fluctuates the price from search to search in order to increase opacity.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]