Priceline Hotel: Chicago 12/26 thru 12/30

NEWJACK
By NEWJACK,
in

looking for a suggestion for a 3.5 to 4 star in the loop/theater district of chicago for 12/26 thru 12/30 . does anyone have any suggestions for hotels and bidding strategy. This will be the wife's and mine 17th anniv, looking forward to a romantic weekend getaway. Thanks in Advance.....

NewJack :)

Welcome to BetterBidding!

We've moved your post to it's own thread since your dates are different than the thread you replied to.

"Loop/Theater District" in the name of a PRICELINE zone... i assume your fine with an hotel anywhere within the boundaries of the "Millenium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area" zone? Did you also want to include the "NMA-River North" zone or only bid the Loop?

What is your maximum bid for this stay? (per nite before taxes and fees) Are you willing to pay more for a 4* hotel vs. a 3.5* or are you looking for the least expensive 3.5* or better for this stay?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

With PRICELINE, you may get a hotel not as romantic or appropriate for the occasion.

If you want to go regular rate for these dates in order to get something more appropriate, hotels are cheap (well, as Chicago hotels go) for these dates.

One particular North Michigan Ave. suggestion would be the Talbott, which is $104.30 for these dates on Orbitz (30% off.) If you use the coupon code FABSAVE10, you get 10% off each night.

Other Orbitz suggestions (which you could also use the FABSAVE10 coupon on) that would be appropriate for the occasion would include the Westin River North ($123), The Amalfi ($128 - includes breakfast + evening reception). The Westin and Amalfi are right by the river, which makes it easy to get to both the theatre district and Michigan Ave. shopping.

If any of these ideas are of interest, it would be greatly appreciated if you could use the site's link to Orbitz.com (click the Orbitz.com)

Otherwise, if these are not of interest, we would be happy to help with PRICELINE or HOTWIRE strategies.

Thanks for all the replies. What i've had in mind is catching a train from KC on friday and getting into Union Station Chicago. We've got tickets to My Morning Jacket at the chicago theatre on Sat night, sun our anniv, I was thinking Wicked at the Ford Theatre or one of the Steppenwolf theatre's show, then Monday going to wicked if we didn't make it on Sun. Probally want to keep it $100 or under for a room for 4 nights. I see someone was successful witht he Hyatt for $59, but not sure if this would be ok, price seems right...any opinions out there..How about Hard Rock, Hotel Sax, anyother recoomendations.... Guess I'm looking for something romantic, but that will allows us to enjoy, some of th eother things we'd like do during the weekend...If any one has any suggestions on other activites, I'm oplen to suggestions....

Newjack :)

...Hyatt for $59, but not sure if this would be ok, price seems right...any opinions out there..How about Hard Rock, Hotel Sax, anyother recoomendations.... Guess I'm looking for something romantic

You have to realize that you're giving up control over choosing the hotel you will receive in exchange for a deeply discounted price.

If knowing the hotel you receive is more important than price, then booking direct where you'll know the name hotel before your purchase (some of the Orbitz suggestions given by AaronJB above) may be a better option, although i think there won't be too many choices given your $100 budget. You should also search HOTWIRE to see if you can identify any of the properties offered and see if they will meet your needs for this stay... still a bit of risk since you have to guess correctly, but at least you'll have an educated guess as to the property you'll likely receive.

Let us know your thoughts and how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Personally, I wouldn't recommend staying in the Loop area by the Ford theatre. There are plenty of public transit options that can get you there very easily from the North Michigan Ave. area. Given that this is an anniversary/romantic weekend getaway, I'm guessing that you're going to be heading out at night to go to a restaurant/etc. The Loop area where the Ford is is largely very quiet at night - you'll find walking around later in the evening more enjoyable around Michigan Ave & if you need to go to Ford theatre, it's not a long taxi ride.

I'd still recommend the Talbott, as I said earlier in the thread.

Another option would be the Swissotel, which is $99.50 via Expedia.com. If you use coupon code FAN50, you get $50 off the total.

If the Swissotel option is of interest, please use the site's link to Expedia.com. (click the Expedia.)

Thanks again for the help, so I'd be better off targeting the N MI. Ave are for a hotel if I use priceline. Do you thinK anything I get between $75 and $100 would be worth it. Already have tickets to shows on the 27th and the 29th, looking at filling up the 28th actual anniv. date, any suggestions for things to do this day/eve in Chicago. Once again, thanks for all the info......

NewJack

It's mainly whether or not the hotel will be a good fit for an anniversary. There are many fine 4*'s in the River North/North Michigan Ave area of PRICELINE, but some of these hotels are more business-like and - while they may be fine hotels - they would not be what I would classify as romantic.

Overall, it's a matter of are you willing to risk paying probably around $80 (as I'm guessing an acceptable Priceline bid for the River North/NMA area 4* for these dates will be in the range of $75-85) to get a 4* hotel you won't know in advance, or are you interested in paying $85-100 or so for a hotel that will be more suited to the occasion? You mention that you want something romantic - as mentioned, Priceline will not guarantee that. I'm trying to suggest things that would be more romantic.

If you are interested in paying a little more to get something more suited to the occasion:

The Swissotel deal via Expedia.com that I suggested in the prior post would be an example of romantic, because at least the majority of Swissotel rooms have a view of some sort. The Swissotel is $99.50 on Expedia.com (limited time only 50% off sale), plus if you use the coupon code FAN50, you get $50 off the final total.

There's also the Talbott, which I mentioned earlier in the thread, is $104 on Orbitz.com, but you can use coupon code FABSAVE10 for 10% off each night. This would be a strong recommendation, given that this is a smaller, more intimate boutique hotel with a great location only a couple of blocks from Michigan Ave.

HOTWIRE has a 3.5* Boutique for $82 in the NMA/Water Tower/Gold Coast area with the amenities: Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Golf, Tennis, Spa. This would likely be the Hotel Indigo, and would be another excellent boutique hotel choice. HOTWIRE also has a 4.5* for $93 in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area with the amenities: Restaurant, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business. This is likely the Intercontinental, and would be a very nice choice right on Michigan Ave.

If any of these are of interest, it would be greatly appreciated if you could use the site's links to Expedia.com, Orbitz.com or HOTWIRE.com to start your purchase.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

2 listings on this date for HOTWIRE 4.5 * Mag Mile/Steeterville ..amenities fitness, rest.,business center high speed internet, customer favorite, low price guarantee, best value

next listing is 4 * NMA, gold coast , water tower...amenities are the same as the 4.5 star any ideas...

ready to secure my hotel , seeing has i've had to pay in increments for this anniversay weekend, price at the talbott went to stepp, but would like a room with some space, even a free breakfast would be great but know i won't get it at this star level, once again thanks to all for suggestions.....

NewJack

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

The 4.5* property, assuming it also shows a 4.0/5.0 Tripadviosr rating with 280+ reviews, this is a match for the Inter-Continental so that would be our best guess for this one.

The 4* property matches the Drake, Westin Michigan Ave, and the Millenium Knickerbocker, and there are no additional clues given to help determine which one is most likely, so any of these would be our best guess.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes.

After much thinking and a couple of unsuccessful bids on some 4 stars I used the ling and got the ambassador east thru the Orbitz link. Used a code for an additional $75 off total cost , total was $284. Reviews seem good, nice location, hoping the wife will like it, looks like some old skool charm. Thanks to all for your help and advice, looking forward to my 1st visit to the Windy City. :)

newjack

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]