Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (Times Square-Theatre District) Hilton Times Square

CrazyOne
By CrazyOne,
in

Just been ages since I tried to bid NY. 5 years ago you could get a 4* for 100 bucks. Doesn't seem to happen much now!

The new 3.5*, while good in the long run, is kind of a hinderance here because we don't yet know which will go what way. I'm more concerned with the locations of the hotels than what's in them, really, although I do hope it comes out reasonably decent. Nothing worse than getting plunking down the 200 bucks here, even though it's NYC, I know, and thinking "Oh, I had a better night at the Hampton Inn." My mother is passing through NYC that day, arriving into Grand Central on the Metro North, then departing late morning from Penn Station on the Amtrak. So funny, I remember her telling me the other day when she stayed at another place that she'd never paid so much for a room before (150 bucks, haha). But the stated limit was 250, and so while we normally quote that pre-tax I want to keep it to about 200 so that it's no more than 250 after tax and fee.

So far yesterday and today I've bid up to $207 with MTE and ESB 4* and all the rebids. The rebids make 4* pretty easy to start at $150 and work up. I haven't ventured beyond those zones. The MTE 4* seem to be closer to the middle in general, and the 4* listed in ESB were in good locations so felt safe. Haven't looked up the TS and MTW 4* to see where they are, but I suppose those could work reasonably well. Want to keep them in walking distance of the stations, basically. I did find what appears to be the Millennium UN Plaza on Hotwire under $200, but that seems a little far east and figure I can do better.

Only a couple of the TS hotels have been noted that are 3.5*. MTE and TS say the "best deal" is 3.5*, but MTW says 4* is the "best deal". Hm. ESB says it's 2*, LOL, so maybe that's just pointless. ;-)

Any thoughts? Looks like there would still be 4 rebid zones even with 3.5*, so that's not as bad as I was thinking. Am I more likely to get 4* hits cheaper in MTW/TS vs MTE/ESB? Back in the day one of the zones used to hit more often at lower $, but I don't know if that is still true. How much of a "risk" am I taking going down to 3.5*, if any? I'm going to keep poking around but suggestions are most welcomed.

Well, a bit more checking and I discovered that every 4* in TS zone seems well-located and fairly well-liked most of the time, so it seems ideal. I bid up to $207 again with no luck. Just to push it a bit, I tacked another $5 on to $212 and got a counter. A-ha! But $25 more, yeah, right. Get this, because I started again after that, I got another counter at $217, still wanting me to add $25! Gotta love it. I'm closing in on this. If anyone balks at the price I'll eat the difference because it looks like it might be worth a few bucks more to get one of these.

$220 and $225 were winning on this date before according to the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins, but $220 and $223 (had to test it, still have some rebids ;-)) have been no good so far. Trying $225 and we'll see.

Well, it made me bid $230. But I'm happy at this point and it's done.

Apparently Sunday is easier; it wants me to extend my stay at the same rate.

Check-In Date: Saturday, October 4, 2008

Check-Out Date: Sunday, October 5, 2008

Hotel Name: Hilton Times Square

Your Offer Price: $230.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 1

Subtotal: $230.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $46.28

Total Charges*: $276.28

Lemmee see if I can edit the original title for a bid win....

I guess I can't edit that one anymore. You want to edit or you want me to post a new thread? Seems like usually these get edited.

BTW yes I even remembered to use your PRICELINE link. :-) Have to say the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins was very helpful in realizing I might be just $15-20 shy of a win. Thanks!

Congratulations on your success!

This is a very nice hotel, gets pretty good reviews, and is close enough to Penn Station that it should work fine for your (or your mother's) plans.

Thank you for sharing your results with the board and using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Have a great stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]