Priceline Hotel: What is on in New York Dec. 5-10th?

valencia
By valencia,
in

I have been helping my daughter get three rooms for some friends going over from Spain. Tickets bought, so can't change dates.

No luck at all for 3 rooms up to $230 for 4* in almost all zones. We have been maxing out the free bids everyday.

Internet rates are way up there.. in the high $300-$400's for 3*-4*.

Is there a convention or is this just the most expensive week to go?

They actually could get only two rooms (not with Priceline) as there are 5 adults and one child. Any ideas?

they would like the entire stay to be under $4,500 somehow, but not so sure that can happen!

Thanks for any advice.

Seasonally it's a very expensive time of year... lots of tourists come in to see the Christmas Tree and store window displays.

Have you thought about trying HOTWIRE for 2rooms/5adults/1child... there are some 3* and higher hotels within their budget, including what appears to be the Holiday Inn Midtown for $369/nite which has generally positive reviews of late.

Is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We saw that.. and will probably make some type of decision soon, as three rooms on PRICELINE are going to be more than two on HOTWIRE with this 6 yr old child, it is too much of a risk to do two on PRICELINE, IMO.

but i see that one is gone right now .. and i see a 3.5 star, midtown south, $389 with restaurant,. fitness and Hi speed internet. I do not see anything like this listed. any idea which hotel it might be?

splitting bid is not an option on such a short stay. thanks for the info/observations. we will use your links.

Those amenities are common for NYC and i'm seeing a slightly higher price, but if we're seeing the same hotel (amenities as you've posted above and Tripadvisor 3.5/5.0 rating with 740+ reviews) it is a match for the New Yorker Ramada Plaza so that would be our best guess.

Thanks for using these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know what you decide or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thereuare.. with your experience.. do you think prices will just keep going up and up or will they have a better chance closer to the date?

wondering if they should max out their bids now with 3.5 and 4 star, then 3 * and if rejected go for hotwire before EVERYTHING goes up, instead of just playing with this til next month.

any comments/observations? we just can't get over the prices!! thank goodness for this website!

BTW, that 3.5 MS for $389 is still available that you feel is ramada plaza new yorker. Does anyone know if ALL the rooms have been remodeled yet?

Nobody outside of the hotel management can really make a call as to whether prices will go up, or down, for these particular hotel as we just don't have access to the number of rooms still available and the number of reservations already booked, as well as what percent are refundable and which are non-refundable.

Seasonally this is a very busy time of year, but things with the economy aren't looking so good at the moment (especially with the NYC economy given the current financial mess), so can't really say how this will impact hotel rates 2 months from now.

If you do choose to wait i would certainly book a refundable reservation to protect yourself from rates going higher. (try Quickbook, GTA Hotels, and our BetterChecker to help in your search)

I called the New Yorker and was told that all rooms have been renovated, the lobby is still being worked on but should be completed by mid/end of October.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

when i search it says not available.

2 rooms, 3 adults/ 2 adults 1 child. it is not even available if i put only two adults in each room.

have looked into splitting bid. but will not give up.

i also see that on HOTWIRE, if i book the rooms separately, they save money. otherwise hotwire charges the 3

person price for both rooms. when if i do it separately, the 2 adult/ one child room is cheaper.

seems they can save a lot on HOTWIRE..( only two rooms,) and splitting the bid i think i can make it work if they don't mind moving on day four.

Will keep you posted.

Would staying outside of NY and commuting every day an option for your daughter? If so I recommend she tries to get a 3* and above in the Jersey City area - most likely she'd end up at the Hyatt Regency on the Hudson or at the Doubletree. Rates are usually much lower than in NYC, but these two hotels are only one PATH (New Jersey subway) station away from Manhattan, so it's almost as convenient as staying in Manhattan itself.

If she doesn't mind commuting by bus, the Secaucus - Meadowlands area is also a good option. Frequent NJ Transit buses will take you to Manhattan in about 30 minutes, and you can still find 3* hotels for 99$ per day on Hotwire - probably around 70$ on Priceline.

Both these areas are great choices if they don't plan on going back to their hotel during the day. If they want to visit, shop, eat in Manhattan and go back at the hotel in the evening, then staying in New Jersey is definitely a good way to save lots of $'s.

i am concerned for this group, of two grandparents, one young couple and young child and one uncle to be "who knows where".. as far as public transortation is concerned. i know SOME jersey hotels are near transportation.. but perhaps not ALL that participate. could be a disaster. at least in manhattan they are where THEY think they should be.

will work on this sunday evening.. too busy right now. will keep you posted.

thereuare.. trying to split bid.

can you please help identify dec 8-10, 2 rooms, 5 ad. one child.

3*downtown soho $332

amenities REST:, Business, HI Speed internet?

rated 3.5 with over 120 reviews september 2008 last one.

also, for dec. 5-8th 3* downtown soho $293

fitness,rest., internet, business

thanks

These amenities are common for NYC hotels, but the first 3* hotel has not yet been identified, the second is a match for what has previously been reported for the Holiday Inn Wall Street (aka- Wall Street District Hotel)... but i wouldn't consider this to be the only possibility given how common these amenities are for NYC.

wondering if secaucus area is very inconvenient? Where are your hotel links?

support page (tab at the top of the board)

Most of secaucus is convenient (some more convenient then others so HOTWIRE may be a better option than PRICELINE if you're able to identify the property beforehand) but it is a distance third choice relative to staying in the city itself and the Jersey City area. The bus schedule is fairly convenient, but less so than the PATH train (for Jersey City), and also stops running between midnite-2am depending upon the nite and/or route. Similar to Jersey City you do lose the "nyc feel" of staying directly in the city. While do-able, the 20-25 minute bus ride can get tiresome after a few days, and it really comes down to price vs. convenience.

Thanks. I have never even paid attention to that and will use it from now on.

I have been told on another forum that if I book a hotel on plaza drive or harmon meadows lane the bus stops right in front fo the hotels and has its own lane to go into tunnel.

This is looking like a feasible idea at this point, since most of these hotels have free breakfast and also free shuttle to take you to the mall ( no taxes in NJ on clothes). I am warming up to the idea and at least will probably make a cancellable back up over in secaucus since we cannot find a decent one in manhattan.

...since most of these hotels have free breakfast and also free shuttle to take you to the mall ( no taxes in NJ on clothes)

Not sure what star level you intend on bidding, but i wouldn't say that most of the hotels offer free breakfast (some do, but not most) and i'm not sure about the shuttle to mall (or which mall you're refering to as there are two)... one mall is Mill Creek which is currently closed for remondelling except for the anchor stores and the other is the Secaucus Outlets which is fairly spread out, so even if you're able to get a shuttle to this area, it would be difficult to get around from store to store as the area is spread out over a few mile radius.

The Hyatt ended their affiliate program so we have to remove that link... but if that's the hotel you want then by all means go ahead and book it (thanks for trying)

However, not sure how many rooms or occupants you're including on your search, but when searching for one standard room i'm able to come up with a cheaper rate thru GTA Hotels (althought still listed under "AmeriSuites Secaucus") than a direct booking at the Hyatt Place website.

Please keep all posts for the same stay in the same thread.

Be sure to read the comments at the top of every Priceline Hotel List on the board. While this is currently the only known 3.5* property in this zone, i suspect that the Doubletree could be upgraded to a 3.5* (last reported at the 3* level) at anytime. They are building a new Westin in this area (due to open Feb '09) but that is not currently an option.

Given rates average nearly $400/nite for your dates above i'd be interested to hear what you're thinking.

what I am thinking is they will be right at budget, ($4,500 for entire stay) as we can get two rooms there only.. each one under a senior's name for three people each. ( one actually two adults/one child, the other three adults).

This Hyatt regency seems to be the nicest hotel for the money.. as I cannot find another in this same price range that is so luxurious, or seemingly so.

I would LOVE to try to get this on Priceline, but need three rooms then.. and then the added risk of getting another hotel.. although perhaps the other hotels at this level are also near this PATH station, which would not be a problem then. I will try to research that option.

Seems like Manhattan, itself, is out for them on Priceline, ( 3 rooms)and nothing is coming up on Hotwire ( 2 rooms) anymore in the $300 range we were seeing the past days.

What am I thinking? ... grrrrrr. sorry I offered to help on this one! they have cheap flights, but.. the hotels are a killer this week. I am hopeful we will come to a logical decision soon.

thanks for all your comments.

The Hyatt is a very nice hotel... when it provides a subestantial discount to Manhattan rates, which in this case i dont' think it does. At $400+ per nite i think you can find something directly in Manhattan...

If you search HOTWIRE for 2rooms/4adults/2children (still triple occupancy, but you'll need to check-in 'smartly' and not have everyone go up to the desk together... best if just 2-4adults, leave the 5th adult back with the child) there is a 3.5* hotel in the MTS zone for $379/nite with a TripAdvisor rating of 3.5/5.0. My best guess is that this is the Ramada Plaza New Yorker, which while not my favorite hotel, the reviews (see previous link) have improved since the room renovations, and gives them a good location in Manhattan itself. Even if not the Ramada New Yorker (although i think it likely is) it's still a 3.5/5.0 user rated hotel by reviewers.

Likewise there is a Junior Suite (which holds three people, although one of the beds may be a pullout couch) at the Eastgate Tower thru Quickbook and the reviews are generally very good... $387/nite for a non-refundable reservation or $429/nite for a cancellable reservation. It's not luxurious, but it's a well run hotel with nice sized rooms and a good location.

While each may not be as polished at the Hyatt, for the same price i would take either of these in order to be in Manhattan.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (or our Quickbook link in this thread) If you won't be the one doing the purchasing, please have the 'purcahser' of the group visit the board and use our links for their purchase.

Your thoughts?

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]