Hotwire Hotel: 2.5* NYC (MTC) Belvedere

chrislee
By chrislee,
in

Howdy,

After countless attempts with Priceline, I was unable to get even a 2.5* in the Midtown area for $155. However, I was able to get a room at the Belvedere (2.5*) for $126 through Hotwire. I happen to be one of the "lucky" folks who happen to be in NYC at the same time of the Republican convention and I believe that most of the available spots have been gobbled up. So, good luck to everyone else in their quest.

Since I'm driving into New York, I'm looking for the safest & cheapest way to stow my car while in town and wonder which is better (garages in the city -- meaning I'd have to drive in the city :) or parking at a nearby airport (hopefully bypassing a majority of city traffic) and using it's parking spaces there.

Any ideas?

Have a great day!

chris

Welcome to BetterBidding and thank you for sharing your results.

Can you also add the amenities icons associated with this property... that information will best help others try to identify it in the future. You can still view the amenities by clicking the MY ACCOUNT link on the top right corner of Hotwire's home page.

From what direction will you be coming into NYC (and where are you leaving from)?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Oops..forgot about the amenities.

This hotel features the following amenities:

Restaurant(s)

At least one restaurant is located on the hotel premises.

Business Center

Hotel offers guests access to business equipment/services.

As for directions to NYC, I'll be coming from Stony Brook (part of a eductional course for the wife).

Why not just take the Long Island Rail Road?

No parking hassle, no traffic, no worries.

There is some talk by some extremist groups of making a whole mess of the convention and doing (non-violent) things to cause rail delays, but i've got to think that rail service is going to be better than highway/tunnel/bridge traffic.

If this isn't an option for you let us know and we'll look at further options, but i think rail is your best bet.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I should have clarified the Stony Brook part. We're just there for a few days (driving up from North Carolina). After Stony Brook, we plan to spend a few days in the jungle known as New York City :)

Thus, that is the basis for my questions regarding parking garages vs. airport parking (safety, price and hassle).

Others may disagree but given my general dislike for driving and sitting in traffic, i would recommend either:

1) take the LIRR in from Stony Brook (or some other LIRR staion). Here is a LIRR LIST OF STATIONS and if you click on the one for Stony Brook you will find a link to a PARKING MAP which states that parking is free, unrestricted, and no permit is required. I would think that 'unrestricted' would mean that overnight parking is allowed, but you may want to double-check on that aspect. If you are visiting friends in the area i would ask them about how difficult it is to find parking there and if you can leave your car overnight. If you don't have access to anyone in the area let me know and i'll try to get you a phone number of someone that you can ask.

OR

2) start your journey home before your NYC trip, head south and leave your car at the Metro Park train station. Then take the train from Metro Park into NYC; after your NYC stay take the train back to MetroPark. This station is located near the intersection of the Garden State Parkway and the NJ Turnpike so it will be very convenient for your return trip (and you'll already be about 45 minutes closer to being on your way home). I called the MetroPark garage and parking is $5 per 24 hours.

Here is a link to the entire NJ TRANSIT SYSTEM MAP in case you want to head even further south to make for a shorter drive when you head back home (MetroPark is on the RED line, click the map to expand it). What's cool about that system map is that you can click on a station and the click another station and you will be taken to a schedule page for travel between those two stations. There is also a link under each station for "INFO" about each station.

If you choose the NJ Transit train option, i think the best route for you to take would be to take the OuterBridge Crossing Bridge (but double-check a map on your own), which would take you totally around Manhattan and you won't have to deal with any of the driving headaches associated with the convention. It appears that the OuterBridge would take you about 5 miles south of the MetroPark train station so you'll actually need to head north after crossing the bridge, but this still may be a better option than the Goethals Bridge since i think it's somewhat more direct from Long Island and also keeps you away from the Staten Island Expressway which can often have its own traffic issues. (again, double check all this on a map)

I don't mean to be so 'down' on driving in NYC as i do it frequently, but there's a lot of talk of the headaches that this convention is going to cause and i even know people who take mass transit to work and are planning on not coming in that week!

I know i covered a lot above, so feel free to ask any questions.

Thanks, that's just the kind of info I was needing. I think I'll go with the MetroPark idea as it seems to be the best option that I was looking for b/c I do not want to drive in the city if I can prevent it.

Thanks again for your prompt assistance.

Have a great day!

chris

FYI, just heard that during the Republication Convention they'll be diverting all 'direct' Penn Station trains thru Hoboken... requiring travelers to get off in Hoboken and then either take the PATH train or ferry into Manhattan.

Both alternative forms of transportation are right there but just want you to be prepared that you may need to transfer and/or walk a short distance in order to catch the connecting transportation.

If i hear more i'll update.

• 5 weeks later...

Driving could be a major headache, if you want to check out a list of lots near your hotel, go to the following website: http://www.iconparking.com/ Call beforehand in case they have special rates in effect for the convention.

You could drive to NJ and park at a PATH station, take PATH into Manhattan and it will leave you at 31st and 6th ave. (Right in front of Macy's) and take the subway to your hotel or take a cab. This station is right on the edge of the area that will be "blocked off" for the convention.

I like the idea of taking the LIRR in, I believe this takes you to Grand Central Station, away from Penn Station and all of the commotion.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]