NY NYC Sheraton NY Hotel and Towers

designer2
By designer2,
in

Stayed one night at $105 (had 2 rooms). All I can say is WHAT A BARGAIN! I really felt that I got more than my money's worth.

Initially I was concerned that the location of this would be out of the way from the action, but the hotel is located just far enough out of times square to make the streets less congested and quieter but still within VERY easy walking distance to the very center of Times Square , Rockefeller Center, Radio City, Central Park even. (Very easy means with 2 kids and their grandparents - not the quickest bunch) , The hotel is located on 7th and 52/53rd, which is one tiny block off Broadway. Subways are conveniently located all around, many different lines as well. Restaurants are plentiful.

The hotel itself is very nice. The lobby looked very clean and upscale. The receiption desk was pleasant and quick and easily accomodated our request for double beds and rooms near each other. We were able to check in at 12:00noon, as well. No mention of priceline was made. (Though at checkout, the bill slipped under the door did say "priceline") We were on the 28th floor and I'm going to guess that this was a former smoking floor as it did seem a bit stale. The hallways could have used some vacuuming, but I'm not that picky. The room was nice, clean, but small. The double beds were TINY but extremely comfortable. And with 2 beds in the room there was very little room to walk around. But what the room lacked in size it made up for in cleanliness. The closet was large enough to stow all our bags. The bathroom, while also small-ish, was very clean and well appointed. The biggest issue, is that they've installed countertop/desks along the along the windowed wall. It completely covers the air conditioning unit, which is located underneath, though there is a vent in the top of the counter, but it makes air circulation very difficult. We propped up the vent on the desk and that made it better. The 2nd room had no such trouble.

On the 2nd day of our trip we left our bags after checkout in their special 'luggage' room - for $3.00 a bag! Don't know if this is a new trend for hotels or what, but I was a bit surprised. But still convenient.

Overall, I was quite happy with my stay there. I would never have a problem if this hotel came up for me again in another bid, and I would certainly recommend it to anyone.

• 2 weeks later...

We stayed here two nights 7/17-18/2004 for $120 a night.

This hotel has a nice location especially if you are in town for Broadway shows or Letterman. The staff is friendly.

I would not rate it a 4*hotel. The beds are comfortable, but the amenities are 2-3*. The TV has few channels and the only furniture other than a built in formica table is a TV cart that doubles as a place for a coffee pot with Maxwell House. Very stark college dorm room type room.

Warning**** There is NO soundproofing between walls- at least on our floor 36- you can clearly hear who ever is next to you which was a problem- we were even in an end room. The hotel restaurant is not open at night. We were told to go to the Sheraton across the street.

They offered a $50 "Sheraton guarantee" credit, but we still would rather have stayed else where and would not stay there again because of the stark amenities and noise problems.

• 2 years later...
  • 2 years later...

The Sheraton NY went above and beyond for us during our recent stay http://www.betterbidding.com/index.php?sho...c=66082&hl=

We arrived approximately 1 am. I'd sent an email ahead requesting one bed and a higher floor if possible. The email response was that they had me down for a king bed, the floor would have to be determined when we checked in. No biggie there. When we got there we were assigned to a 15th floor room but the desk clerk took it upon herself, upon reading the comments, to find something else. And a 24th floor room it was... we didn't mind either way so we headed up there and it was a handicapped room, there was no tub, just the accessible shower area. I didn't think we'd be keen on that for four nights (not to mention, they might actually need to assign that room to someone who needed it,) so we went back downstairs to let them know the 15th floor would be okay. However, I barely got out "I'm sorry, that's a handicapped room" and the lady went to work. She headed back into the office (to talk to a supervisor?) and when she reappeared five minutes later, she'd found us a room. She whispered "it's on the club floor."

So.... the Club floor offers free breakfast and the manager's reception (we never made that, but we went to breakfast twice -- note these are weekday offerings, not weekend).

Housekeeping was very good, conscious of our west-coast tendency to sleep in after staying out until 4 am.

Our last day there, we had a 5 pm flight and although the website says noon checkout, our Priceline reservation indicated 11 am checkout. I called down at 9 am or so to ask for a late checkout, and was basically asked what time I wanted to leave? I was hoping for an hour leeway but I shot for the moon and asked for 2 pm, and it was granted, no questions.

As it turned out, the weather was so poor, between 9 am and noon I rerouted our flight twice and we were now taking a 7:30 pm flight from a different airport, so we sampled the hotel lounge -- excellent sized portions for appetizers, they were certainly meal-worthy. Prices were not out of line for midtown.

Internet: I hooked up for free with the London NY Hotel briefly, but the connection was poor. I ended up paying for two 24-hour connections out of our 4 days (two days we just weren't in the room long enough to justify using it). $15/day. People were hooking up online right and left in the lobby, I presume for free though I didn't inquire. They also had numerous PCs in the lobby for guest use. The best feature I noted computer-wise was the ability to go to the lobby and print out my boarding passes free on their dedicated computer for that. What a convenience.

The bummers: Model United Nations conference with about 2200 students coming in on Sunday nite. The elevators changed from Express to Locals just like that. But what can you do? Met a few nice people that way, lol.

I can't quibble about the room or the amenities, but I will say the location is fantastic, the employees were fabulous, and I'd be happy to stay there again, even if it wasn't the club floor.

• 1 month later...

Just came back from a 9 night stay here. This would not ever be my first choice for a 4 star rated Manhattan hotel, and if it were up to me, I would say that this is not a 4 star hotel, maybe at best 3.5 stars.

Prior to arrival, we emailed the hotel ahead of time asking for a king bed and a higher floor. We received a reply saying we were confirmed for a king bed, and that floor positioning was contingent at check-in. We arrived at the hotel at about 8pm, and the place seemed like Grand Central Station. The desk clerk noted our preferences, but apologized that we could not get a king room anymore, as the hotel was oversold, thus we had 2 doubles.

Other complaints: during the weekend part of our stay, it seemed there was a huge group booking of mid-late teen girls staying at the hotel, particularly on our floor. We could hear everything that was going on in our neighbouring room, and the floor seemed to be one big pyjama party. I made a complaint downstairs, and heard the phone go off in the room next door after 15 minutes. Silence cut in shortly thereafter, but I don't know if it was a reflection that it was midnight, and a curfew kicked in or supervision came in. The next evening and seeing the potential of a repeat, I mentioned it to the house cops, and they told me they made 3 trips to my floor specifcally the night before. Their suggestion was to suggest that we ask to be moved. Again, we put up with the noise until about midnight, and then it was quiet.

The hotel lobby and hallways make the place look nice, but the rooms are another thing. I felt the rooms were in serious need of a refurbishment, as the paint on the walls was starting to showing age, and the wallpaper in the bathroom was peeling. The room, while small, was probably the normal size for a Manhattan hotel. The $15 internet in-room charge was ridiculous, but you could always go downstairs with your laptop to access the wireless there for free.

To be fair, the hotel is located in a very good location. Located on 7 Ave, between 52 and 53 Streets, you are close enough to Times Square without all the busyness and noise (that I learned staying at the Renaissance 4 blocks south for one night). You are also conveniently located to several subway lines, with 4 subway stations within easy walking distance and several lines available, including the 1 (50 St station), N/R/Q/W (49 and 57 Street stations), and B/D/E (7 Ave). You are also a few blocks away from Central Park, and picking up essentials was easy with the Duane Reade drugstore nearby on Broadway. Restaurants are plentiful around the hotel, and it should not be too hard to ever get a cab there.

Proud to be Canadian!

• 3 years later...

I can't complain about the rate I got, or the hotel itself. As others have pointed out, the hotel is very nice however... it is not a 4-star property (listed as such on Priceline). Although nothing was out of place or wrong, the difference between a 3-1/2 and 4 are the little things: no bathroom robes, decent but not great toiletries, not enough to make you feel pampered.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]