Hotwire Hotel: 4* DC (Dupont Circle-Embassy Row) Donovan House

xtine
By xtine,
in

We're going to DC and NY in October and spending a few days in DC before bus-ing to NY. We plan to do all the usual touristy stuff (museums, capital, etc.).

1) What are good neighborhoods (safe, comfortable, convenient/close to public transportation) to bid for on Priceline? We're targeting 4* and above.

2) Should I wait till mid October to bid? Prices seem to be pretty high right now. I'm hoping for prices that I see folks are getting right now (~$80). Any advice whether I'll get better prices if I wait or will prices stay there? I'd feel better waiting if I get some advice from experienced bidders of the area and know how prices fluctuate with time.

I've placed the following bids in the past few weeks so far that were rejected.

Check In Date: October 21st, 2008

Check Out Date: October 25th, 2008

Neighborhoods: Georgetown - Foggybottom, Dupont Circle - Woodley Park

Bid Price: $70, $80

Last Bid Date: August 15th, 2008

Thanks in advance!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

The most frequently bid zones are:

Convention Center - Capitol Hill

Dupont Circle - Woodley Park

White House - Downtown

For our thoughts on "when to bid" see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ. However, in regards to your particular stay, you're about two weeks away from the presidential election, and i would think that many of the hotels will be filled with reporters, consultants, etc, etc inside that timeframe and that could explain the high prices you're currently seeing.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know when you're ready to bid again, which zones you'd like to include, and what your maximum bid is... we'll then suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 2 weeks later...

I tried bidding again today, but no luck. All of the following bids were rejected.

10/21/08 - 10/25/08

Dupont Circle - Woodley Park 4* - $70

Added Crystal Springs - $75

Added Mt. Venon - $80

Added DC Suburbs - $85

Added Springfield - $90

Added Georgetown-Foggy Bottom - $95

We'd like to stay in Dupont Circle or Georgetown/Foggy Bottom, 4*. I guess I should try again later. Any advice?

You can bid better than you are, as the way your bidding could results in an overbid for the Georgetown zone.

What is your maximum bid for a 4* hotel in these two zones? (if $95 is your maximum bid, what is the best rate you're able to find for a 4* hotel in either of these zones)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I know that wasn't the best way to add Georgetown; it was a last attempt. The max bid I was hoping for is $120, which I tried today. I also added White House - Downtown to the mix. Apparently $120 is still not enough.

Here's what I tried today -

10/21/08 - 10/25/08, 4*

Georgetown-Foggy Bottom - $80

Added Dupont Circle - Woodley Park - $80

Added White House - Downtown - $80

Added Crystal Springs - $85

Added Mt. Venon - $90

Added DC Suburbs - $95

Added Springfield - $98

(can't remember order of non-4* areas, but their order doesn't matter anyways)

Opened new browser tab and tried again

Georgetown-Foggy Bottom - $100

Added Dupont Circle - Woodley Park - $100

Added White House - Downtown - $100

Added Crystal Springs - $105

Added Mt. Venon - $110

Added DC Suburbs - $115

Added Springfield - $120

On Hotwire, the best 4* rate is in Dupont Circle for $189/night.

On Priceline itself, the best 4* is the Omni Shoreham for $341/night

On Expedia, the best price is around $389/night for the Melrose

On Travelocity, the best price is $323/night for the Omni Shoreham (AAA rate)

How much do you think I would have to bid?

The HOTWIRE offering looks like the Omni Shoreham and that would be our best guess. Hotel direct rates for this property start at $272, so still a very nice deal. Would you be willing to bid this high and use this as your upper limit? If not, how high would you be willing to go for a 4 star hotel?

• 3 weeks later...

I think the issue is the timing of this stay and not the length... it's a week before the presidentail election and all the additional news reporters, and additional political consultants and campaign works, in town for the election all need places to stay.

While a month ago there was 4* hotel offered on HOTWIRE for $189... there are currently no 4* hotels offered in any of the downtown zones for these dates. There are a few 4* hotels for individual nites of this stay, but they're priced very high (except for one nite of the four)

What is the best rate you're currently able to get at an acceptable hotel in one of these zones for these dates? (use our BetterChecker to assist in your rate search... as well as try Quickbook and GTA Hotels)

• 2 weeks later...

I looked again on Hotwire last week and saw a 4* hotel in Dupont Circle for $159. After checking on Priceline for up to $150 (and still couldn't get anything), I opted for the Hotwire hotel using the HOTWIRE link from this forum. It turned out to be Donovan House, which is perfect! Really looking forward to our stay.

4* Dupont Circle

10/21/08 - 10/25/08

$159/night -> $723.65 with taxes and fees

Congratulations on your success!

Good for you utilizing both services and going with the one which works out better for this stay. We're glad to hear that you're pleased with the results and looking forward to your stay.

Can you please add the amenities shown before your purchase to this thread... you can still view these by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Thank you for sharing your results with the board and using our HOTWIRE link to begin your purchase.

Enjoy yoru stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]