Priceline Hotel: 3* San Francisco (Cathedral Hill) Holiday Inn Golden Gateway

Gallus50
By Gallus50,
in

This was a mistake, pure and simple. Probably an overbid, too.

While I thought I was bidding boutique, I glanced up and saw I had hit 3* instead. My fingers kept thinking boutique and I hit the usual re-bid areas. My bid was accepted in Cathedral Hill. Whoops. (Forgot that CH has 3* hotels) Was really only interested in USE and USW.

Nonetheless, it's booked now. And I will have the opportunity to take the California cable car as much as I want to get to the office, which will be fun. (One of the few you can actually get on, especially in the summer.)

Bidding History

BOU- 70, 74, 77, 79, 81 - USW + CH + CC + LS + SSF

BOU- 70, 74, 77, 79, 81 - USE + CH + CC + LS + SSF

3* - 84, 85 - USW + USE + CH (Thought I was bidding boutiques. This is where I screwed up)

Rack rate appears to be $142 or so. Hotel has fitness, pool and views. It gets pretty good reviews on TripAdvisor, so ces't la vie.

Sorry to hear of your bidding error, but glad to see you're taking it in stride and it appears that you can actually make this work for your needs.

Thank you for sharing your win with the board.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Enjoy your stay.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

After I emailed them, Priceline offered to refund my money, in a complicated way where they keep $101, then I rebid. If I'm successful, they'll refund all except for $25.

If I could feel sure I'll get a comparable place and rate in USE or USE f, I'll do it. But there have been so few bids for these dates, I'm not sure what to do.....

Any advice?

Not really sure how positive/negative you feel about this property.

As well, using HOTWIRE to get a feel for prices, rates are quite high and doubtful you'll currently be able to get anything very close to this price, imo (although a decent chance at something around $120 at the 3* level)

Let us know what you decide or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

After I emailed them, Priceline offered to refund my money, in a complicated way where they keep $101, then I rebid. If I'm successful, they'll refund all except for $25.

If I could feel sure I'll get a comparable place and rate in USE or USE f, I'll do it. But there have been so few bids for these dates, I'm not sure what to do.....

If I understand this correctly, if you're able to bid successfully in any of the other zones for your travel dates, Priceline will refund your original purchase less a $25 fee? Can you make multiple bids (over several days, for example) until ultimately successfull, or does PRICELINE just give you one shot at it?

Hi Beav:

Here is their exact wording:

Upon receipt of your approval via e-mail, we will cancel your

reservation minus a cancellation fee of $101.39. The refund for the

remaining amount will be posted to your credit card account within 10

business days.

We will send a separate e-mail with instructions outlining how to submit

a new request on our website with the correct information. If you follow

the instructions and are successful in booking a new reservation, we

will refund the cancel fee minus a flat change fee of $25.00.

I'm thinking that they will allow you to bid more than once, but they won't give you most of that of $101 until you are successful. In other words, you have to be successful or you're out the $76.39. Highly motivating, but no guarantee you'll get a really good rate.

Thereuare:

My only real issue with the HIGG is the location. My office, which I visit twice a year, is right on Union Square. I always stay in USE or USW and walk to work. HIGG is a bit far and you go through a slightly sketchy area.

That being said, I really like to save money on my accommodations, while appreciating amenities like a fitness center and/or breakfast.

If it's your intuition/educated guess that I can't get a similar rate in USE or USW, I'll just deal with it and take the bus or cable car over to Van Ness. If I have to bid high, then add the $25 fee, it probably wouldn't be worth it to me.

If I could get 3* or better for under $95, however, I would probably do it.

As a side note, the HIGG does get quite favorable reviews on TripAdvisor, Orbitz and Expedia.

Based upon current rates i'm guessing that a 4* will cost you much more than your current reservation ($150+... probably closer to $200).

HOTWIRE has what is potentially the 3* Maxwell Hotel for $95... last reported on PRICELINE at the 3* level as well. Since only two amenities are shown, risk is that this is some other hotel which is not 3* rated by PRICELINE, so may not be apples-to-apples comparison... and i think other 3 star properties in this zone will be going for more (~$125/nite as a ballpark figure)

Hope the above helps in your decision.

If Maxwell is most likely for a low rate, and others might likely be higher, I'll just stick where I am for now. Reviews on TripAdvisor aren't good, and amenities are sparse.

The CSR said I have to respond before the 25th, so I may have a few days to see what happens on BB ....

Thanks for all help and advice.

If you belong to Holiday Inn's Priority Club show your card and they may give you a high floor facing east, even on a PRICELINE reservation. The views of Downtown from up there are terrific, better than the views from a lot of Union Square hotels because the buildings are so dense in Union Square that most views are partially obstructed. There aren't other tall buildings near the Holiday Inn GG and you can see EVERYTHING.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]