IL Chicago Omni Ambassador East

antlori
By antlori,
in

Omni Ambassador East was a good hotel. We enjoyed our stay. Staff was pleasant and helpful, neighborhood was "homey" with a lot of people walking their dogs, also lots of restaurant choices nearby, Red Line stop nearby. We were able to check in early, around 10:00 a.m. which was greatly appreciated. Room was good but not as large or new as the Hilton Towers. Bed was huge, bathroom was fine. We would have been totally satisfied if we hadn't stayed at the Hilton first. The Omni is just a little bit worn around the edges, nothing terrible (white curtains a little grey, paint a little chipped, toilet seat broken). Certainly was a good deal for $81 a night.

• 9 months later...

I stayed there two nights... Fri and Sat for the weekend before Christmas 2004. (75$/night)

I was able to find parking on the streets both days, yes it was a pain, but I didn't want to spend 34 or 35 for valet parking, or use the lot (no-in/out) nearby for 29$/day. There surrounding areas are residential and need a residential permit only from 6pm-6am everyday. And there are main streets nearby that are metered that are from either 9a-6pm M-Sat or 9/10a-8pm M-Sat. So you could in theory move your car to one of the meters at 4pm Saturday, and put in 1$ for 2 hours and leave it there overnight and Sunday. To find parking starting on Friday, I would suggest looking in areas near "schools," as I discovered those areas have restriction until Friday afternoon (as opposed to Saturday).

I was optimistic about this hotel, despite its mixed reviews (particularly at tripadvisor). It is located in the Gold Coast and a reasonable (~1 mile walk) to the Mag Mile. The Gold Coast is a very very nice area with the Chicago City proper. It is well within walking distance to some very nice restaurants.

I was given a room on the 6th floor (out of 17), and it was certainly a "priceline" room. The hotel is organized as an "L" and I got the room that is abutting the suite that is located at the corner of the "L". Therefore it is the the smallest room on each floor. I requested a 2 double bed room, but they said it would be a 20$/night upgrade charge, so I just stuck with the non-smoking king.

The amenities, which included a robe, were nice. The room was clean, but like I said previously, I received the smallest room, and I believe the bathroom isn't as spacious as what I imagined. There were other posts saying that the bathroom was spacious, and I think that is what was cut out in the room due the constraints of the location.

Other aspects that were good: Free local and 800 calls, FREE WIRELESS internet.

Bad: no central ac/heat. The temp was controlled digitally in a window heater/ac in the corner of the room. It was difficult to set to the right temp as the bed was in the other side of the room. Plus it was noisy.

I felt the WORST part about my stay was the sheets. I read about problems with the sheets on prior reviews on competitor sites about (e.g. bedbugs). I don't believe it had bedbugs, but the quality of the sheets were deplorable. I couldn't sleep the first night. I didn't understand why, then I looked about the label of the pillow case and it said that is was 50/50 and 180thread count. I was astounded; the sheets/pillow case were scratching on my face. I called the front desk at 230am (that is when I finially noticed), and asked if there were other sheets available. They said that we only have one type of sheet, but they could bring another possibly "softer" set. I just said that I'll tough it out. (in retrospect, many hotels have 50/50 sheets that are either 180 or 200tc, but this was first time that I have ever been bothered enought/cared to look).

Needless to say, I didn't sleep well, but I quickly adapted. the second night was similar, but I think I tolerated it much better.

Next time, I would not want to stay here, because of location/sheets. Location is not horrible, but it is certainly a good walk to the mag mile/center of the action.

P.S. The Pump Room was closed off to a private party on the Saturday night I stayed, so I didn't intrude.

• 3 months later...

We stayed at this hotel June 2 - 4. When we got this hotel, I immediately signed up for their frequent stay program. In the packet, they sent me a free upgrade coupon (to a suite). So, when I got to the hotel with my priceline reservation, I asked to be upgraded to the suite - AND THEY DID!

I was really pleased with this hotel. The staff was very friendly, the room was great and very clean. I also liked the location but it is a bit north of main tourists areas (except of course for Lincoln Park). I would definately recommond the hotel.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]