Hotwire Hotel: Aussies spending a week in NYC....hotels etc= clueless

aussie81
By aussie81,
in

Hi Everyone,

Wow this site is just what i was looking for!

We are spending from the 15th-22nd of September in NYC as part of our honeymoon and wanted to know the best tourist bits/ sites to cover and estimate of time needed at each site? We want to see all the main attractions including-

YALE UNIVERSITY

THE BRONX

RHODE ISLAND

WALL STREET

EMPIRE STATE BUILDING

STATUE OF LIBERTY

YANKEES STADIUM

BROOKLYN

MADISON SQUARE GARDEN

CENTRAL PARK

TIME SQUARE

as well as go to a TV taping, preferably Tyra Banks...if possible? I want to...my husband is not so keen haha!! Also we want to go to Niagara Falls...most cost effective option? What would be the best/most popular tours available to go on in NYC too?

We also realise that Philli, Wash DC and Boston are all not too far away....what would be the main sites to see at each and what would be order of preference to visit?

Would it be most cost effective/easy enough to bus to any of the locations above?

Oh now for the main question....we need a bed!! haha!!!

We are looking for a hotel as close to NYC centre as poss whilst paying max $150 p/night for 2 adults incl fees and taxes if thats possible? A clean bed and a shower is all we need as we will be out for the majority of the time, although if we could score something a bit nicer that would be fab too. We will also need to possibly book 2 hotels for the dates above as we will probably have a night away at Niagara which will break the hotel stay up. What would be the best option?? Suggestions??

Sorry...I'm clueless on America in general but can't wait to come over!!!! Long flight to go yet...ahh!!!

Many thanks in advance and sorry for all the questions!

:)

September is an extremely expensive time in NYC. Unfortunately, I don't think $150 per night is going to be enough. $150 *may* be enough for a low-end establishment, but it is likely going to result in having a shared bath-style situation, and I doubt that is something you want to have on your honeymoon. $150 total per night *including* taxes is really going to be impossible in the city, especially during these dates, where regular rates at most hotels are $350-400+

You can certainly find hotels outside the city in areas such as Newark for $150 or less, but what area depends on what airport you're flying into. Staying outside the city near the airports isn't too much fun, and requires a pretty decent trek into the city (and then back) each day. Doing this for seven days will get tiring physically and will also get tiresome in terms of having to trek into the city and knowing that you're going to have to make the trek out to the hotel again at the end of the day.

Have you already booked plane tickets for these dates? Are you going to be in the US 9/15-22, or are these just the NYC dates and you are then going elsewhere?

While I understand that you are excited about seeing NYC, I feel as if your budget will go further in other cities and you would get a more luxurious honeymoon for the money. NYC hotels are VERY expensive in general and even moreso than usual on these dates. You could potentially split these dates between different cities.

For example, I see the Hotel Madera in Washington DC, which is a 4 star hotel, for $133 per night on Orbitz.com for 9/20-22, plus if you use the coupon code 7DAYSALE2 (the coupon being valid until 8/3) you would get 20% off that price, bringing the per night total (before tax) closer to around $105-110. I can find a 4 star for $129 + tax in Philly for 9/18-20. These are just examples of nice hotels you could stay at in other cities. In Midtown Manhattan, the same amount of money will maybe get a 2 star, but more likely a 1 star hotel.

You can take Amtrak between Philly, DC, NYC, Boston and Niagra. Niagra is a long way from New York City, and requires at least an overnight.

This message is just to throw out some ideas and give you an idea of what you can get in other cities. Again, I definitely understand being excited about NYC - it's a wonderful place; but it is expensive and if you are on a budget, your money can go further elsewhere and, given that this is your honeymoon, you may want to spread out your vacation.

Let us know your thoughts, give us a better idea of your vacation in terms of dates (are you in the country longer than 9/14-22?) and we can go from there.

I do think it would be nice if you could make some use of Amtrak during your stay, as there is definitely some nice scenery on some routes. The route between NYC and Niagra has some gorgeous scenery, especially during the first few hours of the ride.

I definitely think NYC is going to be difficult, though, in terms of figuring out a place to stay on what are extremely expensive dates.

If your plane tickets are not booked yet, you definitely have some flexibility. You could even take an overnight train from from DC or NYC to Miami and then end your trip in Miami and fly out of there.

Hi there,

Thanks so much for all your help. We are in fact booked and paid in terms of flights for the dates 15th-22nd Sept. I have just found a deal at a hotel in Brooklyn on Smith St for $169 per night for a brand new nice looking hotel. Is this a good deal? What is Brooklyn like in terms of being close to act as a base for NYC sightseeing? Any other info in Brooklyn?

Thanks for your help

Bridget

I think you need to go back and figure out what you really want to do for this trip as some of the things you mention above are all day or multi-day trips.

YALE UNIVERSITY (4 hours each way)

THE BRONX (other than the zoo or eating on Arthur Avenue... why??)

RHODE ISLAND (3.5 hours each way)

WALL STREET (dont' think can go inside anymore unless you have a connection... 20 minutes for photos outside)

EMPIRE STATE BUILDING (90 minutes to go up to the observation deck)

STATUE OF LIBERTY (3/4 of a day if you must go to the island... better to just take Staten Island ferry for a 'drive by' imo, if so then 60 minutes)

YANKEES STADIUM (4-5 hours for a game and commuting)

BROOKLYN (depends what you want to do there)

MADISON SQUARE GARDEN (10 minutes for photo opportunities)

CENTRAL PARK (2-4 hours if the weather is nice)

TIME SQUARE (1-2 hours)

NIAGARA FALLS (7 hours ech way)

TV SHOW TAPING (4-5 hours... usually have to bet there a few hours before taping begins)

I've include above the approximate time for each above. So as you can probably see, 7 days won't likely be enough to do everything on your list. If you really want to go to Niagara Falls and see Yale and Rhode Island you can rent a car and make a 3-4 day trip out of that, but obviously then you don't need a hotel room in NYC for those nites.

Since you have so much to do i would try to stay directly in Manhattan and not in Brooklyn, but as AaronJB points out, your budget for Manhattan will likely be an issue for this time of year. What is the Brooklyn hotel and what is the address?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

hi there

thanks for the update and fab info, such a huge help!

The hotel is NU Hotel with the following info from the site- By Train: NU Hotel is located at the Corner of Smith Street and Atlantic Avenue in downtown Brooklyn, a three-minute walk from the Bergen/Smith St. Subway stop and a five-minute walk from the Hoyt-Schermerhorn Streets stop.

The map to the hotel is here- http://www.nuhotelbrooklyn.com/map_and_directions/

any ideas or thoughts on this hotel for NYC sightseeing would be great. How safe would it be to travel on Sunbway to Manhattan at night from this hotel do you think?

Kind Regards,

Bridget

I don't know anything about this hotel, but i can tell that a few of the reviews on the web were written by hotel employee(s) or somebody else with a vested interest.

The G is one of the subway lines near this hotel (doesn't go to Manhattan but heads to Queens) and i wouldn't ride that line at nite.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't know a thing about the hotel, but Brookyn has changed a good bit in recent years. Smith Street, which begins at Atlantic Avenue, and runs south to Hamilton Avenue, has become the new, trendy area of New York City. New York Magazine dubbed Smith Street "the most innovative, exciting restaurant row" in the city.

With funky shops, ethnic food, and collectibles stores, Smith Street is one of the truly, fun areas of the city. he influx of restaurants and bars has brought a new nightlife scene to Smith Street as tourists and Manhattanites brave the trek to Brooklyn. They have discovered the neighborhood with a passion. It seems to be on the way up.

That being said, I am not exactly sure where the hotel is located on Smith Street. You would probably have to have a look at a map.

You may want to see this from the New York Times.

http://www.nytimes.com/2007/07/26/fashion/26COBBLE.html

As far as transportation, I'm sure you can get into Manhattan from within a few blocks of the hotel. At the Hoyt

Hi there,

We are an aussie couple coming to the US as part of our honeymoon. I am wanting details on a great restaurant, a famous one or one that is really unique to take my husband to for a special meal...any suggestions?

He is a sport lover- soccer and cricket if that helps with any cool themed restaurants at all?

many thanks

Bridgte

You should include your budget when asking for restaurant help, especially in NYC where a "special" meal can go for $300+ per couple.

Hardly what i'd call a 'special', but the first thing that came to mind was ESPN Zone in Times Square, and you may want to include that on your itinerary (NOTE: generally speaking "themed restaurants" and "special meal" don't go together... you either pay for the food or you pay for the entertainment experience... seldom both)

Hi everyone,

Am hoping someone can help us as I dont know anything about Priceline or Bidding as we dont have this kinda things for hotels in Australia as far as I know. We are coming to USA for part of our honeymoon and need the following hotels in September 2008-

15TH- HOTEL NEAR JFK AIRPORT WITH EASY ACCESS INTO NYC FOR THE EVENING (2 STAR MINIMUM- $150 max)

16TH- HOTEL IN NIAGARA FALLS WITH FALL VIEWS AND EASILY ACCESSIBLE TO BUFALLO AIRPORT (SHUTTLE TO AIRPORT INCLUSION AT HOTEL WOULD BE PERFECT- UP TO $200)

17TH- HOTEL NEAR BOSTON AIRPORT WITH EASY ACCESS TO HEART OF BOSTON (Up to $150- 2 star minimum)

18TH-22ND- HOTEL IN OR NEAR NYC, DONT HAVE TO BE IN MANHATTAN BUT PERHAPS A MORE REASONABLE ALTERNATIVE WITH DECENT ACCESS TO TRANSPORT TO SEE THE SITES OF NYC ($150-$180 3 STARS MINIMUM)

Would I be best to do some bidding and if so, how do I do it all to get the best deal? Any suggestions on the best areas to include in the bidding would be great.

Thanks heaps.

Bridget

When I add up what you want to pay for all dates, I get $1040 before tax. Trying to work with that as a final total:

1. Niagara Falls: the Oakes Hotel has a fallsview room on sale for $125 on Expedia.com for your dates. According to info online, this hotel also has a top floor observation deck. Please use the site's link to Expedia.com (click the Expedia.com) to start this purchase if this is of interest.

2. Boston/Logan: The Wyndham Chelsea near Logan is $152 via Wyndham.com for these dates. While I'm not entirely familiar with Boston, I do see a MBTA train station a few blocks away - the Chelsea Station - from this hotel. Please use the site's link to Wyndham.com to start this purchase.

Total with Boston & Niagara: $277 before tax.

3. JFK: I would try bidding $90 on Priceline for a 3* in the JFK area on Priceline. If not accepted, try $95 for a 3* 24 hours later and $100 24 hours later if $95 is not accepted. Please click the site's link to PRICELINE.com if this is of interest.

Total with JFK/Boston/Niagara if JFK $100 bid is accepted = $377. $1040 - $377 = $663

$663 divided by 4 = $165.

I would try bidding $165 per night for a 3* in any of the Manhattan areas on PRICELINE - trying Midtown first, then downtown if non of the Midtown areas accept. Please use the site's link to PRICELINE to start this bidding.

If none of the bids for staying in New York City for $165 at 3* or above are accepted, then we can possibly figure how to split your stay so you can have 2 days in Manhattan, 2 days outside (Newark, maybe?)

Overall, this is rather complicated and I think it's going to be a really tight, kind of rushed experience bouncing between JFK to Niagara to Boston and back with a day at each, but hopefully we can find some good hotels. The NYC part is going to be the most difficult.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Everyone,

I have been assisted greatly with all our other hotels that I have now booked....phew! Including $209 Travelzoo specially for the recently renovated Colonnade Hotel in Boston at a 50% saving...yay!

I now have one last booking to make. 3 nights in Manhattan preferably, from the 18-21st Sept 2008 for 2 adults. Being Australian, I have no idea what the best/most central areas to be are to bid on. We are wanting to get round the main tourist parts and would like a hotel with good subway/transport access. I would love The Hudson Hotel but Im not sure what a suitable bid would be for this one and how I could heavily increase my chances of getting this one through my bidding entry on PRICELINE.....any help or suggecstions would be greatly appreciated. Any other great deals for these dates that anyone knows of?

Also, is it best to wait and book really late for a last minute deal or book ASAP?

Thanks in advance

Bridget

Please keep all posts for this stay in this thread.

For "when to bid" please see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ, however, you are only 3 weeks away from your stay.

What is your expected budget (per nite before taxes and fees) for this leg of your trip?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Hi there,

Minimum 3 star really. Would really love the Hudson, any strategies on getting this one or a realistic bid for it?

Not sure of other zones and preferences. We are there as tourists, so we want to see the main sites and would like to be close to a subway no matter where we stay.

Many thanks,

Bridget

You can't bid for a specific property nor increase your chances for a particular property. If you're trying to target a specific hotel HOTWIRE can often be a better option, but if you do a HOTWIRE search i think you'll find that most midtown hotels are (significantly) out of your price range.

Is a 15 minute walk to the subway considered "close enough"?

Thanks for the update! 15 mins would be ok, what did you have in mind?

Also another hotel of interest is the Millenium Hilton, seems to have great reviews and not AS central so maybe a little cheaper. Saw a deal on hotelchatter for $225 but the 1800 number doesnt seem to acknowledge the deal?!

Look forward to your update.

Bridget

I didn't have any particular hotel 15 minute walk to the subway in mind, but at the 3* level there are hotels that begin to get this far from a subway, so i wanted to make sure this was acceptable before including these zones in your bidding.

If you're looking for any mindtown zone, 3* or better, with a $200 maximum bid (before fees and taxes), i would proceed as follows:

At the 3* level you have three re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* MTE, MTW, CPS, TS...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MSG, Chelsea, and ESB...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, TS, MSG...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* Chelsea, CPS, and ESB...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, CPS, TS, MSG, Chelsea...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, CPS, TS, MSG, ESB...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 3* MTE, MTW, CPS, TS, MSG, Chelsea, and ESB...

Bid $185, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]