Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTW) Hilton New York

inthezone
By inthezone,
in

Hi,

I've never used Priceline or Hotwire before. I'm looking to book a 3-night stay at a 4* hotel during the week of July 19th - 23rd. The three nights must be consecutive during the week (M-F). I would like to stay in Midtown West, willing to pay $190 but looking for a better deal if possible.

Thanks,

Dean

P.S. What does "guaranteed late-night check-in" mean? Does it mean you will not be able to check in earlier than late in the evening or does it mean your room will be saved regardless of how late you check in?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Just to clarify your dates, it's 3 nites/4 days so you really have two possible choices: 7/19-7/22 or 7/20-7/23.

I'm fairly confident you can do better than $190/nite (before taxes and fees) in the MTW area, but is zone more important than price? Would you be willing to stay in UpperMidtown/Central Park South or Midtown East if you could save money doing so? Don't know what your plans are but my opinion is that in NYC any midtown locations if good simply because transportation is extremely easy to comeby, fairly inexpensive (especially mass transit), and convenient. If you haven't seen it yet i have written a guide to the PRICELINE NYC ZONE DESCRIPTIONS.

Let us know regarding the above (zone and dates) and we'll supply a recommended strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Go to Priceline Hotels, then select New York City, and MTW(Mid Town West) as the area you want to stay. Select 4 star, and a bid of $99. I am fairly confident you can get a hotel for that rate. Check the list of four star hotels in that area, but they are all pretty good. If you don't get it, add UM/CPS, and keep the star level at 4, and go to $110.

I am sure that will take care of it. Enjoy. I have a trip to NYC in September that I am looking forward to.

Hi again,

Haven't made a bid yet. Played around with options and found that there is a 5* hotel in Midtown East. Anyone have an idea which one it is or how much to bid for it? I would probably be willing to stay in Midtown East if it was a 5* hotel. The suggested retail price they provide is $273, which seems low to me.

Thanks,

Dean

You have 2 re-bid zones available at the 4* level in NYC. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read this link: RE-BIDDING EXPLAINED and feel free to ask any questions you have and/or confirm which two zones qualify as your re-bid zones (we encourage confirming the zones with the board to avoid any potential mistakes).

I don't know the criteria that Mr. Drew used to determine his bidding approach (although i'm willing to listen as i'm always willing to learn something new) but i'm not as optimistic about rates being so low. This is how i would proceed:

Select the date you prefer first (7/19-7/22 or 7/20-7/23... i think you have a slightly better chance with the 7/20-7/23 dates) and 4* MTW....

Bid $115, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone#1 and...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone#2 and...

Bid $140.

If the above is rejected close that browser and start new accessing Priceline however you did the first time.

Repeat the above bidding sequence but selecting the dates you didn't choose the first time.

Let us know how the above bidding works out. If it ends up being too low we'll suggest a follow-up strategy to try again in 72 hours.

Good Luck and feel free to ask any questions regarding any of the above.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm interested in trying for the 5* hotel in Midtown East first, before I try for the 4*. It doesn't really make a difference for me whether it's 4* or 5*, but hey if I can upgrade, why not? I'm willing to pay the same amount as before (around 200) but then again I don't mind bidding low first and working my way up to the magic number.

Thanks,

Dean

At the 5* level you have 6 re-bids (given you a total of 7 bidding opportunities)

So try this before the previous strategy suggested above....

Select 5* MTE and whichever dates you prefer...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $200

If rejected with the above start over, re-accessing Priceline by whatever means you did previously, and try the alternate dates.

I'm assuming the $200 you mention is bid amount (before taxes and fees, if not just adjust the strategy in the last few bids to increase by $5 instead of $10, ending up at your bidding limit).

Any questions just ask.

Yes, good luck with that, let us know how that 5 star bid works out. Thereuare has many answers to your questions, should any arise.

The figure I gave you to try was based upon recent prices accepted by Priceline very recently, so I would start low and work up. Of course, after you try for that elusive 5 star... Heck, midweek at near $200 might get it.(Waldorf Towers)

Good luck, and have fun on your trip!

While NYC rates have come down quite a bit for the summer, it's not widespread for every date. Rates are determined by more than just seasonality factors (conventions, special events in town, Madison Square Garden, etc) and the reason why i'm not as optimistic that rates will be so low can be seen by looking at conventional rates on the dates of some 'low-priced wins' and comparing them to the dates for this stay.

The Westin was recently won at around $100 when hotel direct rates were $239/nite... the Westin's rate for this stay is $289.

The Sheraton New York was recently won at around $100 when the hotel direct rate was $189... the Sheraton appears to be sold-out for these dates.

Higher conventional rates often means higher Priceline rates.

This is why i think a higher bid than $110 will be required.

Congratulations on your win!

Was $130 your first bid in the zone for these dates (not the 3 nitesyou tired earlier) or were you rejected at lower levels?

I'm sure you're going to have a great time (and an even better time not paying retail for hotels anymore!)

Enjoy your trip.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]