Priceline Hotel: Bid Assist - Jersey City/NYC

WPBdiver
By WPBdiver,
in

Hello -

Looking for a 2 night stay in the Jersey City area. Have friends in Times Square this weekend and would like to meet up. Like the JC hotels near the PATH (Hyatt, Courtyard, etc.). Budget is $150 max per night. Called Courtyard Newport only rate available was a King suite at $279. Other nearby hotels appear sold out. Star ratings would be 3* to 2*. Thanks for any help!

Would also consider Brooklyn. Price and convenience to subway/rail are the primary concerns. Booking would be for me and my wife.

Didn't win, but learned PL accepts same day booking up to 11 PM. Wife wanted to stay at $150, but after research I'd need to be lucky. Hoping to get a break here's what happened....

Submitted a series of bids:

Tried for Jersey City 3* at $150, rejected. Added Elizabeth (2.5* zone) at $175, rejected.

Moved to NYC:

Tried 4* Times Square at $150 with 5 rebids as follows (all rejected):

Brooklyn $160

Chelsea $170

Madison Square Garden $180

Upper East Side $190

Upper West Side $200

Stopped at $200. Considering the Candlewood Suites in Jersey City. Internet rate is $182/night. Just wondering about proximity to rail into NYC (web site says 0.5 mile to Exchange Place PATH station, but a reviewer on this site says that station is 100 yds away). Anyone know for sure?

I did submit all inquiries through the BetterBidding PRICELINE link. May try to pin down the Candlewood either through PL (apparently only 2* property in Jersey City for Priceline or maybe go through Hotwire).

Just wondering about proximity to rail into NYC (web site says 0.5 mile to Exchange Place PATH station, but a reviewer on this site says that station is 100 yds away). Anyone know for sure?

the Candlewood is much further than 100 yards, the Hotel shuttle bus can take you to Exchange Place or Newport stations, but this is walkable. I seem to recall that the Newport station is closer. Even though the only 2* reported to BetterBidding is the Candlewood, you could always be the first to report a new property.

One thing that did affect our stay was the NJ PATH. I had previously stayed at Hyatt near Exchange Place station and loved the quick one stop ride over to the WTC. Since we were at Doubletree, we took the Newport/Pavonia Station being a bit closer (5 minute walk). But on the weekends, holidays, and weekdays from 11 PM to 6 AM, to get to 33rd street in NYC, one has to go to Hoboken, wait for several minutes, and then the train reverses to 33rd street. Took 40 minutes. There are 5 to 6 stations between Newport/Pavonia and 33rd street whereas Exchange Place is 1 stop into the city. Will definitely seek out the Exchange Place station on the weekends when in the NYC area again even if the walk is further.

Very pleasant and safe area all in all.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]