Hotwire Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) InterContinental The Barclay

Bellers
By Bellers,
in

I've been reading the forum for a few days and have tried a few of the tips regarding rebidding within time but have still had no joy getting what I want.

I'm looking for either 3* or 4* TS/MTW ideally. 4* would be preferable with maximum bid of $165, with 3* maximum bid of $140.

I've noted that there are some references to bid splitting. Will this help getting a better price? I have spoken to my girlfriend and she is not bothered if we have to move hotel once whilst in Manhatten. Obviously if it can be avoided it would be best, but I understand the risk involved in splitting.

I've also read that October is a busier time (?), and noted in a post yesterday that Madonna is playing MSG during these dates. Would either have a factor on prices that may be accepted?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I'm looking for either 3* or 4* TS/MTW ideally. 4* would be preferable with maximum bid of $165, with 3* maximum bid of $140... I've also read that October is a busier time (?), and noted in a post yesterday that Madonna is playing MSG during these dates. Would either have a factor on prices that may be accepted?.

October yes... Madonna probably not.

We can suggest a strategy for you to follow but...

I don't think your chance of success are very high as your maximum bid is probably too low for this time of year. In this light, i would consider adding more zones than just TS and MTW... NYC is compact enough and and mass transit relatively inexpensive that just about any midtown zone works fine for the average visitor. Increasing the zones you include in your bidding increases the number of hotels which can accept your bid, which in turn increases you chances of success. Would adding other zone(s) besides TS and MTW work for your needs?

Let us know and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I've been a few times to NYC and find it's easier to go up and down rather than across, if that makes sense? It's my girlfriends first visit and we'd rather stay central if we can. I tend to want to go back to the hotel during the day to refresh and break the day.

MTE and CPS would work as I know we will end up going to Grand Central and the UN at some point, as well at the park. I've stayed in what is classed as ESB so that could work also. DS doesn't appeal as we'll likely to be spending the majority of our time in midtown.

At the 4* level you have SIX re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

(NOTE: 're-bid zone1' is not the same as priceline's Zone1, 're-bid zone2' is not the same as priceline's Zone2, etc, etc)

Select 4* MTE, MTW, CPS, TS, and ESB...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* MTE, MTW, CPS, TS, and ESB and re-bid zone6...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $165

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

My speculation is that you're budget isn't going to be enough, split or otherwise (although i'd love for you to be able to prove me wrong) It's possible you could win one nite (Sunday) or maybe two, but i'm not very optimistic.

Since SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID is less desirable, why not try the complete stay first as per the above, and then resort to seeing if you're able to pick up 2-3-4 consecutive nites?

My speculation is that you're budget isn't going to be enough, split or otherwise (although i'd love for you to be able to prove me wrong) It's possible you could win one nite (Sunday) or maybe two, but i'm not very optimistic.

Thanks for the advice. I think I may stick to the week at the moment and if nothing comes up then I might think about trying a split.

Up to $165 for 4* has been rejected tonight. I think I may have to review the budget. It may be possible to go to $191 but I'm done for today and will have another go tomorrow.

Keep us updated and let us know how we can be of further help.

Up to $192 for 4* still rejected.

Is it possible that as the dates get nearer the accepted bid threshold could reduce? Or is it a case of the bid being rejected now at that value it always will be?

Rates can, and do, change all the time, so it's entirely possible that you're successful at these prices at a later date... but rates could also go up while you continue to try; this is an expensive time of year in NYC.

Do you have a cancellable back-up in place? What is the best rate you're able to find thru conventional means? (use our BetterChecker to assist in your rate search as well as Quickbook which often has good rates, the majority of which are cancellable)

At what point would you want to consider SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID

Hello

I've been bidding for 6 Oct - 9 Oct up to $215 per night for 4 star (zones - Times Square, Midtown East, Midtown West, Downtown, & Empire). I've not been successful so far but if I get anything I'll post here to let you know (& put it in the calendar).

Good luck!

Do you have a cancellable back-up in place? What is the best rate you're able to find thru conventional means?
I do, and although it's only a 2* at $289 a night (average) it's one I've stayed in previously. I like the location in midtown near MSG and ESB. It may only be a few blocks from TS but I'd rather be higher if I can find something.
At what point would you want to consider SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID
Knowing that I have a cancellable back-up is giving me options. It's allowing me to watch the Priceline figures and see if there's any movement before bidding again. That doesn't mean I won't any time soon, I can just hold on a bit before doing so.

Looking at the room rates any split would probably be 10/06/08 and 10/07/08 for two days with the other as 10/08/08 to 10/13/08 as rates seem to be higher on Monday and Tuesday. If we go for a split then it may be 2* for the first couple of days if need be, with the remainder at 4*.

If you split there is a 4* hotel on HOTWIRE in the MTE zone for 10/9-10/13 for $252/nite (best guess i the Inter-Continental The Barclay)... if you extend this leg of your stay to 10/8-10/13 the price goes up to $275/nite; both of which are less than your current 2* back-up. (but i'm not sure of the rate of your back-up for 10/6-10/8... if it still averages to $289/nite)

Your thoughts?

eniled,

Thank you for sharing your win with the board. I'm going to leave your post here as it directly helps the OP of this thread, but you could please start a NEW TOPIC with the details of your purchase... this will allow others to see the win when scanning the topic titles of the board as well as enable it to appear in our Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

Thanks, enjoy your stay.

I've just had my first real look at HOTWIRE and it appears the same hotel has reduced slightly since your post. The 2* back-up for 10/06 to 10/07 or 10/06 to 10/07 comes in at $309 for both.

Using HOTWIRE for both parts of a split I calculate I could get 4* MTE for $290 average for 10/6 to 10/13, working with 10/6 to 10/9 and 10/9 and 10/13. The question would be what are the chances they are the same hotel?

Given the price on Hotwire could it be got cheaper by bidding on PRICELINE?

On my own HOTWIRE search for your split dates above, the TripAdvisor ratings for each leg of the stay are the same, with the same nubmer of reviews and same "last reviewed" data... so it would be very likely (still no guarantees though) that it's the same property.

You could try to do better via PRICELINE by bidding for the complete stay up to the average HOTWIRE price, but if you split the stay and bid for each leg via PRICELINE, you run the risk of receiving different hotels for each leg of your stay.

Let us know what you decide and how it goes or if we can be of further help.

PS- if you do split the purchase, please use our links for each leg of the stay (ie- return here after the first purchase and click our link again to begin the second purchase)

Having decided to try a split, concentrating on MTE for 10/09 to 10/13 on the basis I (hopefully) end up with Inter-Continental The Barclay, I had rejected bids for various amounts from $175 up to $235, with steps of $5 up to $210, before reducing the increments to either $3, $2 or $1 depending on the amount I was up to.

Knowing that I could get the same dates on HOTWIRE for $246 if I wanted them I stopped at $235. I may try the whole week over the next couple of days, or even 10/06 to 10/09 first to see how much I can get it below the $349 average currently on HOTWIRE.

I know it'll be worth the time in the long run, it's just taking a little bit longer than I thought it might. I suppose at least I have time on my side at the moment.

I have stayed concentrating on MTE and have had bids up to $289 rejected tonight when bidding for 10/06 to 10/13. The price on HOTWIRE has gone up by a couple of dollars for 10/09 to 10/13 but nothing to worry about.

I'll have another go over the weekend expanding the zones but sticking to the week. If that doesn't work I may just end up taking the splits on HOTWIRE.

I'll have another go over the weekend expanding the zones but sticking to the week. If that doesn't work I may just end up taking the splits on HOTWIRE.

I expanded my search on Priceline this morning to MTE, MTW, CPS, TS and ESB up to $289. Unfortunately ALL bids were rejected.

I then went to Hotwire and grabbed two splits 10/06 to 10/09 at $349 and 10/09 to 10/13 at $249 with BOTH being for Inter-Continental The Barclay. I will post separate threads in the Hotwire forum for each win.

The average of the wins over 7 days works out at just under $292, so I'm paying just under $3 a night more for a 4* compared to my cancellable 2* back-up I had booked whilst searching Priceline and Hotwire. The rack rate on the hotel website is $437 average for the week, so a hefty saving of $145 a night, or $1015 for the week, compared to going direct to the hotel.

Thanks for the tips on here, and I hope the commission comes in handy with both booked via your HOTWIRE links.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]