Priceline Hotel: 4* Hotel in NYC 08/16/08-08/23/08

simonkey
By simonkey,
in

I'll be visiting NYC next month (08/16-08/23) for the first time. I'm fairly comfortable with the Priceline process...for California hotels, that is.

I would very much appreciate any bidding advice for a 4* hotel within the 'usual suspect' areas in New York. Specifically, is $150 an unreasonable amount to expect to pay for a 4* hotel? Would a 3* hotel be more reasonable for my max price? Suggestions for starting prices/neighborhoods? My usual method is to view Priceline's regular hotel prices and then start at somewhere around 50% off those rates as my starting bid...is this a good strategy for NYC as well?

Also, any advice regarding a good sports bar/grill/restaurant to catch some ballgames would be appreciated. (I'll be traveling alone as a female so I'm looking for a laidback place without a meat market feel :) ...

I apologize in advance if I've posted these questions in the wrong area.

Thanks!!

I'm fairly comfortable with the Priceline process... My usual method is...
Assuming this isn't your second PRICELINE purchase in the last 2 years it would be appreciated if you began to share your results with the board. :)
to view Priceline's regular hotel prices and then start at somewhere around 50% off those rates as my starting bid...is this a good strategy for NYC as well?
Personally i don't like this strategy in any zone. There are some zones that discount much more than 50% and following this approach can easily result in an overbid... other zones never discount this much and this would result in wasted bidding opportunities.

Based upon current prices i'm doubtful that $150 will be enough for this entire stay, is SPLITTING YOUR PRICELINE BID an option? If you want to start with bidding for a 4*, do you want to bid MTE, MTW, TS, and CPS? What about ESB?

Let us know exactly which zones you're willing to accept and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, I've been pretty remiss in not posting previous wins...will definitely be better about that in the future, starting with this stay. :)

Any of those 5 areas (MTE, MTW, TS, CPS, ESB) seems acceptable. I've been told that SoHo-Downtown may not be the most preferable area so that's the only area I'd like to avoid. My only qualifications are easy access to subway (prob pretty easy to fulfill), and a neighborhood that's empty in the evening)

Splitting the stay into two is fine by me.

Thank you! :)

and a neighborhood that's empty in the evening

Do you mean you want the area to be quiet at nite? (this may not be as easy to fufill given you can't choose the exact location within the zone, but i can offer some suggestions if this requirement is more important than price)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

OK, i see we cross posted regarding the neighborhood...

Just how much 'action' do you need in the neighborhood at nite? MTE can get a little quiet in the evening vs. during the day (as a lot of the area is office buildings)... but there are still PLENTY of restaurants, bars, etc, to choose from at nite... and if it does happen to be too quiet there are livelier areas a short subway, taxi ride, or short walk away.

Well as i noted, MTE can get fairly quiet, but i you're on a main street (going east/west), or just about any Avenue (north/south) i would think you'd seldom be the only one around and there will certainly be cars driving on the road at all hours of the nite.

If you do travel late at nite, it's a good idea to stick to the main cross streets (those with traffic in both directions) as they are more frequently traveled, by both cars and people, in the wee hours of the nite.

Just how late do you think you'll be out? (2am, 3am, 4am??)... if you start to be out at those hours, and especially if you've had a few drinks, just take a taxi back to the hotel; it's relative inexpensive and will take you directly to the front door of the hotel.

Let us know if you'd like to include MTE in your bidding or not and we'll suggest a strategy to follow.

At the 4* level you have six re-bid zones available. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTW, TS, CPS, ESB, and MTE...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $150.

Any questions freel free to ask.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Just stumbled across this board and have been realizing what a treasure trove of information it is. I've had some experience with PL NYC in the past - two stays at the Intercontinental for $120 a night (booked the morning of the stay). I need to book a room for this weekend (F&Sat) and was planning on using the same strategy of attempting to book in the morning, however I'm not sure if that's the best plan. In any case, this thread seems extraordinarily helpful, but would you mind clarifying what the six rebid zones are for this area?

Thanks SO much!

Hi again,

My stay in NYC has been shortened to 08/16-08/21. I used the strategy you've given and had no luck with 4* or 3* hotels up to $155 in those five areas (if it's helpful, I can post my actual bidding history).

I would be willing to split my stay into two but need suggestions on when to split the date (i.e., 08/16-08/18 and 08/18-08/21). I may reevaluate my budget for this trip to see how much more I can pay for lodging those days (say $175/night).

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Not sure if splitting is going to help, and you porbably stand the best chance at the 8/16-8/18, but i would try to get as many days as you can, and try the following date combinations:

8/16/-8/21

8/16/-8/20

8/17/-8/21

8/16/-8/19

8/18/-8/21

8/16/-8/18 (NOTE: see caution below)

8/19/-8/21 (NOTE: see caution below)

It's often not recommended to split your stay and purchase less than half your stay as the first purchase since the balance of your stay could still be very expensive and require yet another split, making 3 hotels... so it's up to you whether you want to bid the last two date combinations above (but i included them since you mentioned a 2 day stay combination above)

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Wow, this is the most difficult stay I've ever had to book through PRICELINE. I tried splitting the dates as per your recommendation as I realized what you meant by the possibility of having to split my stay into 3.

I tried bidding up to $165 for a 3*/4* for the entire stay and then by splitting. (I understand this is a far, far reach anyhow)

I tried bidding up to $155 for a 2.5* for the entire stay and then by splitting. (I did add Chelsea for this level) There are less rebidding zones for 2.5* so I've had to wait the 24 hours before starting my bidding process again. I plan on rebidding here in the next few days up to $180/night.

I did just book a cancellable hotel in Jersey City at $161/night but seeing as this is my first time in NYC, I'm really striving to stay in the city. I'll check out your Quikbook link for anything there too.

Exactly which zones are you bidding now and at what star level and maximum bid? (you can probably still do all your bidding in one cycle if you choose)

What hotel did you book as a back-up in Jersey City (and how much)

• 2 weeks later...

Well, I bid quite a bit without any luck. I bid up to $170 for a 3* room by keeping all my days together (08/16-08/21) and breaking it up into two stays (08/16-08/20 and 08/17-08/21). I can try to reconstruct my bidding history through Priceline and my rejection emails but there's quite a bit to wade through.

My hotel that I booked as a backup (which now is my firm hotel choice) was the Hyatt Regency in Jersey City. I booked directly through their website and used a AAA discount to get a room for $161/night from 08/17-08/21. They are sold out of rooms through their website (and quite a few others) for Saturday the 16th. I have a friend who stayed here before who really liked it; the PATH train, for the most part, looks pretty convenient to get to WTC and onto the subway station. Just a little concerned about the WTC area at 1 am since I've read it's pretty deserted at night. Otherwise, I'm pretty happy with the hotel.

For the 16th, I just booked a hotel through PRICELINE (using your link) in the JFK area. I bid $95 for a 3* and got rejected. Added a rebidding zone and rebid $97 and was accepted for the Sheraton JFK. The two TripAdvisor reviews seem so-so but it's only for a night so I'm not too concerned. I hate that I have to pay for a room just to sleep in but my flight was free and I didn't have much choice in picking the time to fly in. So, I fly in late at night on Saturday, sleep at the Sheraton, and change hotels early Sunday morning. It works, I guess.

I will post the win for the 16th as a separate topic so it's easier for others to view.

Thanks for all of your help. I will be booking another hotel here in the next couple of days for the LA area. I think I'm going to have a lot easier time with that!!

:)

Thanks for the follow-up and letting us know of your ultimate plans.

The Hyatt is a great hotel with very easy access via Path train into the city. The PATH entrance is litterally 50-100 ft from the hotel entrance (see pics at Real Hotel Photos.com) and all rooms at this hotel have a view of Manhattan.

Since you're in the area for a full week, you should try to make it to Hoboken one day as there are a lot of bars and restaurants to choose from (short hop on PATH or LightRail... if you need suggestions let me know).

Have a great trip and enjoy your stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]