Hotwire Hotel: 4* NYC (MTW) Marriott Marquis

Michael NOLA
By Michael NOLA,
in

I'm travelling to New York with a friend July 31st and we'll be staying until the 4th of August. Any tips would be greatly appreciated. I've been following the posts on this site and am familiar with the way Hotwire and Priceline work but have never really used them.

I notice on Hotwire a $128 rate on a 3 star hotel in Times Square. Amenities are:

Boutique

Restaurant

Fitness Center

Any idea which hotel this may be?

Thanks.

Welcome to BetterBidding (and thanks for the QuickBook recommendation in the other post).

I don't know the identitity of this hotel but given your options i would avoid it. Boutique hotel, especially in NYC, is often another word for small. This isn't to say that all boutique hotels are small, but buying an opque one (especially at the Hotwire 3* level) is a bit too unknown for my tastes. I'd think otherwise if this was a very inexpensive option relative to other offerings, but given the other hotels/prices i'm seeing thru Hotwire i don't think prices are too bad for your dates (relatively speaking for NYC) and i think you can do better.

You didn't say how 'particular' about a hotel you are, so i don't know if Hotwire is the better option for you as you can often figure out the hotel beforehand or if you're open to saving a little more money and going with Priceline.

Let us know your thoughts, or questions, regarding the above and we'll proceed from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'm actually, kind of particular about a hotel. The only reason I mentioned the Hotwire $128 hotel is because the price looked really good for the Times Square area.

Here is what I really want : a 4 star hotel for under $150 a night with 2 beds preferably. Any locations in Midtown within a block or 2 of a subway station would be great (I'm saying this because I've stayed at the Millenium UN Plaza and it was a wonderful hotel, just a little too far off the beaten path). The closer to Times Square, the better.

Thanks.

What about the Sheraton New York?... it's a 4* on Hotwire but a 3* on Priceline. Location is pretty close to Times Square with it being on 52nd St and 7th Ave.

Are there any 4* hotels on the PRICELINE NEW YORK list in the MTW zone that you don't like? (i already know your thoughts about the MTE zone)

What about something like the Inter-Continental in the MTE zone (48th and Park Ave)... is that close enough to Times Square or is that too far east?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I don't see anything on the 4 star Priceline MTW list that wouldn't be acceptable. In fact everything on the 4 star MTE would be great too (except the UN Millennium). The Sheraton looks good to me and the Intercontinental would be fine too. I'm not (too) choosey. :)

Sorry, don't know how i missed your earlier reply (or maybe i was just blinded by the flash technology of your avitar :) )

You have two RE-BID ZONES at the 4* level... feel free to confirm with the board which ones they are if you have any doubts).

Here's the strategy i would recommend if the UM/CPS zone is acceptable (which i think it is based upon your criteria but check the shaded region of the zone before bidding to be sure)

Select 4* MTW and:

Bid $110, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $130.

If UM/CPS is not acceptabel i would bid as follows:

Select 4* MTW and:

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $130.

Feel free to ask any questions you may have... if none, Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

BTW, my wife just saw Avenue Q this past weekend.

This was kind of a rush...First I bid $110 MTW...no dice....

then I added MTS to MTW for $120...no luck again...

I then went up to $130 and added UES and got The Marriott Marquis, right in Times Square where I wanted to be all along!! I'm really excited. Thanks for the assistance! :)

As for Avenue Q, I haven't seen the show, but I have the cast album and there could be some stuff in there that may be objectionable for children. At 16 though, she's almost ready to see R rated movies alone. I doubt that puppet sex can be that provocative.

Congratulations on your winnng bid!

Rushed or not, i'm glad it worked out well for you and you are happy with the results. I'm sure you're now a 'convert' (like the rest of us) and will have trouble paying retail for hotel rooms again.

Thanks for the follow-up and enjoy your time in the city.

Is Avenue Q too mature for a 16 year old girl...?

I asked my wife last nite and she said that the ticket states: "Not recommended for children under 12"

With that said, she did say that there is a fairly explicit and graphic sex act between puppets, so i would say to use your discretion as you know your daughter best.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]