What to expect at a "Resort"?

dougieieie
By dougieieie,
in

Hi all,

My wife and i have never stayed in a "Resort" and are bidding on one in San Antonio this month. If that doesn't work we may try again in the fall.

I was wondering if anyone could give me a short description of thier experiences.

My worry is that there might be a lot of families and kids (nothing wrong with kids, i've got 8 nieces and nephews).

However, this trip we are looking for a bit of peace and quiet and if we might encounter running, screaming rugrats, we may reconsider and just focus on a 4* hotel instead.

Any info and help would be appreciated.

thanks,

doug

I can't comment for this specific area, but if you'd rather not be near kids then you probably shouldn't go away in July... pick a non-summer month when kids are still in school and it's not a 'recess' weak.

Oh, it's not THAT big of a concern. I'm just wondering what to expect.

Obviously, a 2-star like La Quinta or Days Inn is VERY likely to have plenty of families and kids taking over the pool,

whereas a 4-star is less likely.

I'm just curious where a resort falls between the two.

We're going SOMEWHERE next week one way or another :)

thanks,

dougieieie

Most of the resort properties at which I've stayed appeal to families, but there is frequently a quieter spot that is designated for adults. It'll be the pool that doesn't have the waterslides and timed fountains, and it'll be the restaurant that doesn't have a kid's menu. I've seen hot tubs that were age restricted, etc. Lots of resorts have spas on property that have quiet and relaxing amenities and you'll rarely see kids (although there is an increased effort to market to little girls), but you'll pay extra. Also consider timing . . . if you make use of the pool really early, or during dinner hours, or if you eat much later at night, you'll see calmer conditions. In my opinion, the resorts have more to see and do on property and that makes up for the increase in family traffic, but Jason's Storm is dead right about the extra fees!

Oh, it's not THAT big of a concern. I'm just wondering what to expect.

Obviously, a 2-star like La Quinta or Days Inn is VERY likely to have plenty of families and kids taking over the pool,

whereas a 4-star is less likely.

I'm just curious where a resort falls between the two.

We're going SOMEWHERE next week one way or another :)

thanks,

dougieieie

I have been at 5* properties where the kids have taken over the pool (Four Seasons Resort Dallas: BTW wonderful property and pet friendly). I have been at 2* properties where no one was using the pool.

In the time frame that you

Thanks to everyone for their replies. It gives me a better idea of what to expect.

Obivously, you can't completely predict any property on any given date (like the time the High School gymnastic finals had taken over the Courtyard near the Austin Airport), but it sounds like the resort is still worth trying for.

thanks again,

dougieieie

• 2 months later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
10% OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EASTEREGG

(Hotel and Car Express Deals max $60 discount... expires 03/31/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]