New York City Hotel Deal- On the cheap

spankytoes
By spankytoes,
in

Just passing on some info I've researched...

I'm staying in New York City with my son July 9 - 11, 2008. I've gone the Priceline route and my bids up to $200 per night were not accepted. So, as I am trying to take my son for the first time on a budget, I looked into other options endlessly...

On my second week of pricewatching I saw the Best Western City View on my radar. It is in Long Island City, approx. 2 miles out of Manhattan. It's rated anywhere between 2-3 stars and the reviews on it are about an 8 out of 10 from various sites. They offer free shuttle transportation to and from Laguardia and will also shuttle you to the nearest subway stop (40th/Lowery) on demand. (Provided you don't want to walk the 6 blocks or are coming back late at night and want the extra security blanket) They also offer a complimentary continental breakfast with eggs, sausage, waffles, juice, cereal, etc. and free Wi-Fi internet. (Also FREE parking if you are renting a car...which is unheard of in NY)

When the price came up on their website, it showed as $149 per night + taxes. Not bad, but I thought that they could do better. So, I researched around a bit. I found that Orbitz had the same hotel on the same nights and the same type of room (Double bed) for $134.05 per night. According to their website, BW will not only match the competiting price but give you a 10% discount on the lower price to book directly through them. So, I booked on their website and submitted my claim. I got an email response back that I will be paying $119 per night + taxes for each night of my stay. To put this into perspective, the no-frills Portland Square Hotel just outside of Times Square gave me a rate of $99 per night for a double bed, a room the size of a jail cell and a shared bath. Plus, I would have to take a hired car into the city from the airport for about $40 each way and splurge on breakfast each morning. When all is said and done, I am saving myself roughly $100 for a quiet neighborhood, larger room and our OWN bathroom. The tradeoff? It will take us 15 minutes via the #7 train to get to Times Square instead of a 10 minute walk.

I have plugged in dates as late as August and found that Orbitz has a cheaper price on this hotel on almost every day. The best part is that I have until the day before to cancel my reservation should I strike gold with a Priceline bid. At worst, I get to stay a few miles outside the city on the cheap as a backup plan.

If you have any questions on how to manipulate the data post them here. The following is the crux of the email I received after submitting my claim:

ATTN: Mr. X

COMPANY:

26 June 2008

BEST WESTERN INTERNATIONAL RESERVATION CONFIRMATION

RESERVATION NUMBER: XXXXXXX

GUEST NAME: Mr. X

DATE OF ARRIVAL: 09 July 2008

NUMBER OF NIGHTS: 2

HOTEL NAME: B/W City View Inn

ADDRESS: 3317 Greenpoint Ave

Long Island City (Ny Airport)

New York 11101-2011

TELEPHONE: 7183928400

FAX: 7183922110

NUMBER OF ROOMS: 1

PARTY OF: 2

ROOM RATE PER NIGHT: 118.84 U.S. Dollars

ROOM TYPE: 1 Double Bed,-

ADVISEMENTS:

RATE BOOKED: BEST AVAILABLE RATE

MEALS: Full Breakfast

TAX: 14.3%

CHECK IN TIME: 3:00 p.m.

PRODUCTS:

GUARANTEE: MasterCard

CANCELLATION POLICY: If you should need to change or cancel, please

do so by 4pm hotel time on 08 July 2008 or your

credit card will be charged.

Best Western City View Inn

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Thank you for sharing your deal with the board.

While the above is a very good rate for those on a budget, i'll add that it's not panacea, but could serve a need for those looking for an alternative to high NYC prices and just looking for a place to sleep.

If anyone does book this please note that we're an affiliate of the Best Western and please use our link to book.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]