Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) Palmer House Hilton

dippy943
By dippy943,
in

Hello -

My wife and I are planning a trip to Chicago over 4th of July weekend (3 nights...Thursday through Sunday). Neither of us have been to the city before and don't really know a whole lot about the different areas, where to stay, where to go, etc. I have used Priceline in the past for trips to San Francisco, New York and Boston and have always been happy with the results. What areas of town would you suggest? It sounds like North Michigan Ave. is the "place to stay," if possible, but the Priceline map looks like the Loop and Lincoln Park aren't that far away. Of course, the cheaper I can get it, the better, but quality is more important than price.

My wife and I are both 30 and will probably want to partake in some of the good eating/night life, though we're both pretty calm and would prefer a more casual dinner spot or a quieter bar rather than a fancy place where "all the action is."

Any advice would be appreciated - I'll be sure to use the links!

Thanks.

The NMA area is where the 'action'... bars, clubs, restaurants, etc are located. The Loop is home to museums, aquarium, etc, and gets a bit quiet after business hours, but it fairly easily walkable to the NMA zone (or if you don't like to walk a cheap cab ride or hop on the bus which runs up/down Michigan Ave)

These are the two main zones which most users bid on, with some who want to be "in the heart of it all" only bidding the NMA zone... others don't care and bid both, frequently ending up in the Loop zone as it's usually (but not always) a little cheaper than the NMA zone.

AaronJB, hopefully you trained me well :), but feel free to correct or add anything to the above.

It sounds as if you're looking for a 4* hotel? If so, let us know which zone(s) you're willing to bid as well as your maximum bid and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I wouldn't stay in Lincoln Park - it's a nice area and I'd recommend visiting it, but there's next-to-no hotels there and the hotels that are there aren't great.

To provide a summary of the NMA and Loop areas:

Loop: Closer to museums and there is a smaller shopping area on State St. The theatre district is also here. However, the downside is that if you stay here, you there's really very little going on here later into the evening - while this may differ during more popular Summer evenings, the Loop area of downtown is generally empty (or at least feels empty) later in the evening (in other words, once it starts hitting around 8pm or so.)

North Michigan Ave and River North - Two areas right next to one another North of the River. These areas have a considerably larger amount of shopping, as well as a wider variety of restaurants. You are further away from museums, but you can certainly still take public transit or even walk if you're up for a pleasant - if longer - walk.

I generally recommend for tourists to stay in the River North/NMA area, but if you get a very good deal on a Loop hotel, that's fine too.

Thanks for your suggestions. Sounds like I'll go for "North Michigan Ave - River North Area" first, with "Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area" as a second choice. I really don't have a maximum bid, but looking at Hotwire, it looks like 4.5/4-stars in those areas ("Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville", "North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast" and "Chicago Loop") are running anywhere from $89 to $135 per night...so I guess I come in under that on Priceline. Any suggestions for a bidding strategy?

FYI, the Hotwire hotels are as follows:

4-star hotel in Chicago Loop - $89 (guessing the The Palmer House Hilton)

Traveler Rating - 3.5 out of 5, 440+ customer reviews

Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-speed Internet Access

4.5-star hotel in Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville --- $135 (guessing the InterContinental Chicago)

Traveler Rating - 3.5 out of 5, 200+ customer reviews

Fitness Center, Restaurant(s), Business Center, High-speed Internet Access, Pool(s)

4-star hotel in Magnificent Mile Area - Streeterville --- $129 (maybe the Hard Rock, Conrad Chicago, Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers)

Traveler Rating - 3.5 out of 5, 180+ customer reviews

4-star hotel in North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast --- $129 (guessing the Drake)

Traveler Rating - 4.0 out of 5, 200+ customer reviews

Thanks again for your help,

Michael

Sounds like I'll go for "North Michigan Ave - River North Area" first, with "Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area" as a second choice

Do you want to bid up to your limite first for the NMA zone and then try for the Loop zone... or are you interested in the least expensive 4* or better hotel in either zone?

Based upon the HOTWIRE rates... how high are you willing to bid?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I'd rather go for the cheapest 4* in either zone, probably starting with the NMA zone.

I guess I'd like to try to get the room for less than the $89/night that Hotwire has for the Palmer House Hilton (??). Does that sound reasonable?

I'm surprised rates are so low for the 4th of July weekend.

I'll be sure to use your links - thanks again.

At the 4* level you have two re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* NMA...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* Loop...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected close browser and use our link to re-access PRICELINE

Select 4* NMA and Loop...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $88

Any questions freel free to ask.

Thanks for using our PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]