Priceline Hotel: Jersey City NJ/NYC Advice - Labor Day Weekend

ukpooh
By ukpooh,
in

I haven't bid yet - I'm using the boards to figure out what makes the most sense.

I'm trying to book a Labor Day weekend room for my husband and son. They have tickets to see the Yankees and will be flying into Newark. From everything I've read, it appears that Jersey City might be my best option in order to keep the hotel cost down and yet be able to reach NYC easily since they won't have a car. Would you agree with my thinking? I'll of course use the links from this website to book.

Are there any watch outs before I start bidding? I'm hoping for a 3* under $100.

Thanks for any help you can provide.

Friday, September 29 for 3 nights (check out Sept 1).
I'm assuming the correct dates are August 29-Sept 1 (3 nites)

At the 3* level you have one re-bid zone. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 3* Jersey City...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $100

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

So then does staying in Jersey City seem to make sense for what I'm looking for? I saw some postings on the Meadowlands area but public transport look more painful in that area.

Ok, I viewed the rebid strategy.

I would bit 3* and Jersey City for $85.

Then if that failed, I would add Elizabeth and rebid for $100 because Elizabeth doesn't have any 3* hotels. If that failed, I would then need to wait 24 hrs. Am I understanding that correctly?

The waterfront area of Jersey City should work out would be a better choice than the Secaucus/Meadowlands area for ease of commute into Manhattan.

You appear to have the bidding strategy down pat and correct... just always doublecheck before each bidding cycle that no hotels have been added to the Elizabeth zone which are higher rated than 2.5 stars.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

I'm not having any luck. I've been going up to $110 without winning. What do you think? I was hoping I wouldn't have to pay that much. I've been trying to track the prices on HOTWIRE as I've seen other people suggest, but I can't seem to pull up any Jersey City hotels on their site. PRICELINE is showing $179 (Doubletree) and $279 (Hyatt) rates for those dates.

I don't believe the Doubletree participates with HOTWIRE (at least it's never been reported here), and with rates at the Hyatt at $279, the hotel may not be ready/willing to offer a deeply discounted rate to the opaque suppliers at this time.

Why not book the refundable rate of $179/nite at the Doubletree (please use this link if you do) so that you know what your "price to beat is" and you can then continue to try PRICELINE and HOTWIRE up until a few days before your arrival.

Or better yet, for a similar amount book the Desmond Tutu Center for $183/nite. The hotel is a 'bit west' but it puts you in Manhattan, includes breakfast, and is fully cancellable so you can continue to watch for a better deal. Thsi rate is thru Quickbook.

Thoughts?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (or Quickbook link if you go that route)

How easy would it be to get to this hotel from Newark? They have a late flight (I think it is after 9 or 10pm). Is a shuttle the best option? How easy would it be to get from this hotel to Yankee Stadium? I'm assuming taking the subway wouldn't sent them through any "bad areas?". It looks like a nice hotel, maybe the little bit extra would end up being better in the long run since they plan on doing some sightseeing between games. As you can tell, I've never been to NYC.

It would be easy enough to get to from Newark as well as get to Yankee Stadium.

They could either take the train to Penn Station and then take a cab to the hotel (i'm guessing about $5-6) or take a bus to the Port Authority and then a cab to the hotel (~$10).

To give an idea of how 'conenient' NYC is, this hotel is considered "a little out of the way" as it is probably about a 10 minute walk to the subway... but once at the subway they can head to Yankee Stadium (would require one transfer)... or they could walk to 14th St, take the crosstown bus to the 4 train and then take that train straight up to Yankee Stadium.

Given the current options, i would take this "risk free" since it's cancellable... then you can always try to improve upon it in the days/weeks ahead.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases. (or Quikbook)

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]