Hotwire Hotel: 3.5* DC (White House-Capitol Hill) Embassy Suites Convention Center

nmyankee
By nmyankee,
in

We have decided to take a trip to DC for the 4th of July - we will be using mass transportation and my son wants to spend time @ Smithsonian. We hope to attend July 4th evening activities. We enjoy walking, but we don't know this city at all. Any suggestions for Priceline hotel areas?

(while I am asking, any advice about best airport? I've guessed this order - DCA, BWI, IAD)

Thank you!

We have decided to take a trip to DC for the 4th of July - we will be using mass transportation and my son wants to spend time @ Smithsonian.

Smithsonian means different things to different people. For example the National Zoo, at 3001 Connecticut, NW, and the Renwick, 17th & Penn, NW, are part of the Smithsonian. On the other hand the National Gallery of Art, which is on the Mall, is not a part of the Smithsonian.

The geographic area covered by the Smithsonian is quite large. You may want to narrow which of the Smithsonian museums you plan to visit. Rather than looking at Smithsonian/non-Smithsonian, the biggies for DC tourists are the National Gallery of Art, the Smithsonian National Air and Space Museum and Smithsonian National Museum of Natural History. There are lots of others, and some of the popular museums are the Spy Museum and the Newseum. You will need advance tickets for these museums at any time.

When visiting DC, my current favorites are the Renwick Gallery and the National Portait Gallery.

We hope to attend July 4th evening activities.

The week leading up to July 4 hosts the Smithsonian Institution Folk Life Festival on the Mall. On July 4, the Metro is so crowded, that it is very difficult to use the subway. If you are leaving the events, avoid the Smithsonian and Metro Center subway stops, and walk to Capitol South or directly back to your hotel.

We enjoy walking, but we don't know this city at all. Any suggestions for Priceline hotel areas?

I'm a fan of Dupont because most of the 3* hotels are close to the Metro, and there are lots of activities in the area. A pleasant way to spend a warm summer evening, is visiting Dupont Circle and walking from Dupont to Adams Morgan. Lots to see. Don't forget a few blocks of 17th Street, NW from N to Q for good local restaurants. As part of a DC visit, you will probably want to see Georgetown, however I would avoid lodging there because the closest Metro is Foggy Bottom (Blue Line), because it is a walk from Gtown to the metro, and Foggy bottom is not on the Red Line.

(while I am asking, any advice about best airport? I've guessed this order - DCA, BWI, IAD)

I prefer DCA because you can take the Metro directly from the Airport to downtown. IAD is too cumbersome to get from the Airport to downtown, and the rental car facility feels like it is in West Virgina. I think BWI has a Marc train to Union Station, but it will be a hassle.

Suggestions. Don't rent a car. Don't bring a car. Don't think about using a car, except a taxi. If you have to have a car, sign up for Zipcar, which can be found all over NW DC.

Some suggestions for while you are in DC.

Take in a Free Concert at Tiger Hill in the National Zoo.

Take a bike ride or Rollerblade on Rock Creek Park on Saturday or Sunday when the Parkway is closed.

Take in a free event at the Kennedy Center.

Catch a free concert on the West Lawn of the Capitol.

For theater, check out Woolly Mammoth and the Studio Theater

Can't comment what will work best for your specific needs, but the most popular areas bid are the Dupont Circle-Woodley Park, White House-Downtown, and Capital Hill-Convention Center zones.

I'd suggest look at our own Priceline Map of this area and seeing which zones work out best for your needs. If you zoom in on our own maps, at a certain level, metro stations are shown on the map, so you can get a guage for how many stops are in the area and how close they are to the hotel(s) reported in the zone.

Once you decide upon zones let us know your maximum budget per nite and minimum star rating and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you SWA - Great help!

We are still working on flights...

I was hoping to stay in the Dupont Circle or Capitol Hill sections, and perhaps White House area. (When in NYC I stick with 4 and possibly 3 )- I looked up PL occasional wins for 2.5 hotels in DC and saw great reviews. Then I started peeking at 4 and 3 star wins, and some of those hotels had some pretty awful write ups on Trip Advisor. It seems White House area had more complaints...I haven't done the usual amount of research, so I will gladly take direction.

I will probably start out with $85 as my limit for 4*, Dupont Circle and Capital Hill areas.

I wouldn't mind trying a 2.5*, staying at $55 limit...haven't seen many wins like this.

Thanks for the help!

Are you waiting to confirm your flghts before bidding on PRICELINE?

Yes - we got our tickets yesterday, changing our DC dates to 7/4 - 7/7.

I won a great room through your site on Hotwire for the 5-7th - (should I post it here or as a Hotwire win?)

We still need a room for the 4th - we get in to DCA about 5 pm and after a long travel day we would like to stay in Arlington or Alexandria, maybe the airport area or we could venture into DC that night with the crowds....any comments or advice? We will be going to stay in DC the next day... thanks for any help.

We would stay in 2.5 - 4*...

Thank you!

Congratulations on your success... you sound both happy and excited with your HOTWIRE purchase so looking forward to hearing about it.

Please post the details of your 7/4-7/7 in this thread and then start a NEW TOPIC for the remaining nite of your stay.

Thanks for uisng our HOTWIRE link for your purchase.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Hotel - 1 room, 2 nights

Embassy Suites DC Convention Center

900 10th St. NW

Washington, District of Columbia 20001

(202) 739-2001

Complimentary Breakfast

Fitness Center

Pool(s)

Restaurant(s)

Business Center

Laundry Facilities

High-speed Internet Access

Trip Advisor Traveler Rating (4.0 out of 5)

Hotel

1 room(s) @ $83.00 per night x 2 night(s) $166.00

Tax recovery charge and feesHotel subtotal $29.89

$195.89

I went through your HOTWIRE link to get this room - the great breakfast and snacks/drinks at night make this a great place for my family at a great price - Thanks again BB!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]