Priceline Hotel: 2.5* San Francisco (South) Residence Inn Oyster Point Waterfront

sfbound
By sfbound,
in

Hi all. I'm new to Priceline & this board, so I'm hoping that someone can tell me if my Priceline strategy makes sense or if I am all screwed up in how I'm going about this.

I read the sticky notes & some posts in this forum and *THINK* that I understand what is going on. I'm looking for basic accomodations in the South SF or Airport area for Aug 10 - Aug 15th. Based on the hotel reviews, I'd have a strong preference to be in the SF South zone, rather than Airport as you seem to get more for your money. I'll have a car, don't mind driving 10 minutes to most places & having an in-room fridge (as most of the SF South rooms seem to have) would be a real plus.

Anyway, am I on the right track if I follow the forum link to PRICELINE & start bidding low, say $50 for a 2.5* SF South property? This is almost an arbritrary price point as there doesn't seem to be a lot of people bidding in this zone on the forum. And if priceline counters that I have to bid say "at least $18 more".. bid perhaps 50-ish % more than that, ie. $10, rather than $18. And in particular, do you think that I will probably be safe rebidding by adding zones that I definately don't want, as long as I check priceline just before & confirm that Priceline doesn't have anything more than 2* in that zone? I'm a bit worried that 2.5* is a "half-step" rating and that priceline might stick me into a 2* property. Sorry for all of the stupid questions, I did read the strategy posts, I'm just trying to confirm that I understand them to reduce the chances of being booked into an area of the city that I don't really want to be in. Thanks for any advice that anyone would care to give me.

These are the rack rates for the properties in SF south. Does the % of the rack rate where you start your bidding vary by area for Priceline?

I suppose I am looking for a deal. Hoping to stay under $125/night max & don't want to be farther from downtown than this zone. Zones closer to downtown would be fine, but I'm noting that parking downtown adds $30 or so to most prices, while parking is free in the SF south zone. Also seems to be nice properties in SF South at this price point.

$199 2.5* Marriott Courtyard Oyster Point

$149 2.5* Hilton Garden Inn Airport North

$159 2.5* Hilton Homewood Suites

$139 2.5* Larkspur Landing South

$219 2.5* Marriott Residence Inn Oyster Point

Generally speaking your strategy appears sound...

I'd have a strong preference to be in the SF South zone, rather than Airport...
Are you willing to pay more to be in the South zone vs. the Airprot or are you looking for the least expensive 2.5* or better property in eaither zone?
do you think that I will probably be safe rebidding by adding zones that I definately don't want, as long as I check priceline just before & confirm that Priceline doesn't have anything more than 2* in that zone?
I'm comfortable with this strategy but it's your bid so you need to be comfortable with it if you're going to use re-bidding as a strategy. You actually have ONE such re-bid zone available when bidding 2.5* in San Francisco, we strongly recommend you confirm your re-bid zones with the board before bidding.
if priceline counters...
If you get a counter-offer post to the details to the board and we'll advise accordingly based upon the info provided.
Zones closer to downtown would be fine...
If you're willing to bid zones other than the South and Airport zones, please let us know specifically which ones you're willing to accept. If you're trying to be close to Downtown, what about USE and USW themselves? What about the Fishermans Wharf zone?... or are these zones closer to downtown but you don't like the 2.5* and higher rated hotels there? Givne your budget of $125 i think you have a pretty good shot at getting a 4* hotel in the USE or USW zone, but given your information above, i'm not really sure if this is what you're seeking.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know the above, or feel free to ask any additional questions, and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your advice. I'll be sure to bid through the forum links & let you know if Priceline makes a counter offer.

I'd pay more to be in the South area rather than Airport based on what seems to be better property reviews for the South Area & being a bit closer to downtown. While I'm willing to spend $125 if I have too, I'd rather find something for $80-ish if I can. I'd be looking at USW, USE, etc too if it wasn't for the $30 or more parking surcharge that being downtown entails, which effectively means that I can bid $30 more in zones where parking is probably inclusive. Driving 10 minutes to get somewhere is not a big deal to me & on this particular trip I have to rent a car to do some specific side trips & will have to park it somewhere each night.

So, I'm thinking of bidding tomorrow, starting low, along the lines of:

Follow forum link & bid:

$50 2.5* SF South,

$55 SF South + Lombard (free rebid zone, Lombard has no 2.5*)

If rejected, close browser & try again as above @ $60/$65

Since my trip is two months away, I should have lots of time to just bid every few days if I didn't understand how the closing browser trick works. Until prices (hopefully) fall or more inventory becomes available. And if the bidding range goes up quite a bit, I can start bidding on 3* rooms, instead of 2.5*. Feel free to point out any flaws or mistakes that I'm making. Your help is appreciated.

Or rather, as I think about it, I suppose I should be bidding 3* to start with & then move to 2.5*. I'm just thinking out loud as I am new to this. I'm not really expecting an answer unless there are flaws in my thinking & someone is kind enough to point that out.

So, I'm thinking that it would make more sense to bid from the forum link to PRICELINE..

(Aiming for a 2.5* or better, with a preference to be in SF South)

$50 3* SF South

$55 3* SF South + Lombard (free rebid as Lombard is all <2.5 stars)

$60 2.5* SF South + Lombard (free rebid if changing 3* to 2.5* i.e. lower)

If rejected close browser and see if Priceline will let me bid again at $65/70/75 without having to wait 24 hrs.

If not then wait a day or two & try again.

Won $63 bid for 2.5* SF South 8/10 - 8/15, Marriott Residence Inn Oyster Point Waterfront

Rack rate is $219. Expedia $179.

Bid

$61 3* SF South, rejected

$63 3* SF South + Lombard, rejected

$63 2.5* SF South + Lombard, won (2.5* SF South)

Works for me. So thanks for your help & feel free to point out anything that I did wrong for next time.

I think you did great, sfbound, and especially for a five night stay. This is one of the best hotels in the zone and it comes with lots of freebies----free parking, free breakfast, free internet. You've also got a suite with full kitchen. If you don't want to drive Downtown the hotel's shuttle will deliver you to the Airport BART and you can take the train from there.

It's interesting that of the five 2.5* hotels in South SF zone you got the one with the highest rack rate. Have a good trip!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]