Hotwire Hotel: Help Identifying 4.5* NMA-Gold Coast

gigzter9
By gigzter9,
in

hiya...

I've reviewed the "Packages" and helpful tips section of this board, and still can't figrure this one out:

North Michigan Avenue - Water Tower - Gold Coast

"Best Value!" - $128

Boutique, Restaurant, Fitness, Business

4.5 stars

Any help would be greatly appreciated! Thx

*additional note*

The closest I could find was the Burnham Hotel, as listed in the tips, perhaps hotwire just added the "business" designation?

Check in : July 2

Check out: July 5

I tried to book with Burnham directly via online (just now), and was told those dates are not available.

Went back to Hotwire immediately, did the NMA search, and the "mystery" hotel (with identical immenities) is still available, however, now the price is listed as $127 (two hours later).

Now I'm getting even more confused as to who this is....hehe...

thanks!

Not sure of this hotel's identity, but the price fluctuation is entirely normal. Hotwire changes the price like that in order to help 'hide' a hotel's identity... so that the "3.5* hotel at $45 in the zone is always the Hilton, the 3.5* hotel at $52 in the zone is always the Hyatt, etc"

One possibility (i'm not saying a probability, but a possibility) is that the Sutton has been upgraded from 4* to 4.5*. The 4* i see for your search seems to match the Drake... does that work out well for your plans or do you have any thoughts on that property?

Priceline uses a larger zone than Hotwire so if you need a specific location that may not be a better option, but if you simply need a place to stay at a good price in a general area, i would also consider Priceline.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Admittedly, the Sutton doesn't seem that appealing or much of a bargain. If your notion is correct, that would reflect a 20% discount or $32 per night via HW versus Sutton's best rates posted on their website. Yes, the Drake would seem better suited vs. Sutton.

Comparing HW to PL, do these sites categorize "boutiques" equally?Meaning, if I placed a bid on PL for a boutique, would it probably be listed on HW as a boutique also? Or is this difficult to determine?

I guess the best explanation that I can give is, finding the "best deal" downtown, or as close to downtown as possible...

thanks!

Sorry for the delayed response. After further review at other sites, I would agree that PL is probably my best bet. I would like a 4* NMA for $80 or less, July2 thru July5. What do you think my chances are? And yes, a bidding strategy would be greatly appreciated - thx!

You have 4 RE-BIDS available at the 4* level... if you're not sure what they are feel free to confirm them with the board before bidding.

This is how i would proceed:

Select 4* NMA and...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $80.

I think that your chances are pretty good as another user recently won for these dates at under $80/nite.

Feel free to ask any questions you have.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

One of the biggest industry problems (IMO) is that there is no universal rating system... and that makes purchasing a true opaque product so difficult for many people.

I think the Saturday nite is the nite that's causing a problem getting your bid accepted.

Do you have a back-up reservation at this time? (if so, where?)

I would give it 3 days and then take another shot at this as follows:

Select 4* NMA and...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone and...

Bid $85.

I would, however, avoid indiscriminately adding zones and lowering your star level as you did above. If you fail with a given strategy you should still have a methodical plan to follow for the next round of bidding.

So that you have a plan if the above fails, think about what you would like to do if the above doesn't work... lower your star quality, add additional zones, or raise your bid.

At this point, I'm beginning to believe that I'll most likely not be able to stay downtown at the price and star level that I want. And yes, I would suspect that your Sat. night theory is correct. Due to economics, I'm now considering abandonment of downtown and staying in a 'burb, just to save $. Last question of the night, I'm looking at HW and they have listed:

Schaumburg - Arlington Heights & Vicinity (Western Suburbs)

4*, Best Value! $51

Restaurant, Pool, Fitness

(for 7/2 - 7/5)

Since their "packages" section won't allow Schaumburg, what would be your best guess of identifying this property? I'm guessing Hyatt Regency Woodfield, that has been purchased via PL for $28.

thanks so much for all your help! :)

I wouldn't have a guess as to the 4* property... the amenities are just too generic to make any type of educated guess. It could be the Hyatt (i havn't looked to see if they have a pool), but i think making that assumption simply because it has come up on Priceline is a big leap of faith.

I'd book a cancellable back-up at a price you are willing to pay (in the suburbs is fine if you're willing to stay there) and continue to bid Priceline as suggested above as well as continue to check rates on Hotwire.

I wouldn't give up hope on the NMA area just yet.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]