pmumy
By pmumy,
in

Have never used priceline and could sure use some help. TIA

I think we've done our homework:

*have not bid anything previously

*Need 4 rooms, 8 adults

*Aug 2 for one night

*Millenium Park area or North Michigan Ave (areas 4 or 5 on Priceline map- actually going to theatre on Whacker)

* 4* checks Hyatt at $239, Palmer House at $215

* 3* checks Marriott MagMIle at $309

* Am willing to go 2, 3, or 4 star

* willing to go to $125

Appreciate the help. Thanks again

There is one considerable issue with this particular date: the Lollapalooza festival is occuring in Grant Park on this particular weekend, and that has traditionally resulted in high room rates and some sold out hotels.

While things don't look too bad at this point in time, keep in mind that rates will likely not be going down due to the fact that there will be people in town for the festival.

The Palmer House Hilton would not be a bad hotel to try and get if you are headed to the theatre district and at $216 per night, it is - at least that I can see - the cheapest 4*. The 2,000+ room Hyatt also may be trying to fill rooms with Priceline, as it usually does.

You do have a fair amount of time, but I would get started now.

I would recommend starting with a bid of $75 for a 4* in the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area in an attempt for either the Palmer or Hyatt. Any of the 4*'s in the Millennium Park/Loop/GP area could possibly come up as a win, but given the pricing I'm seeing, the Hyatt and Palmer would be most likely.

If not accepted, try again in 24 hours for $80. If not accepted, $85 24 hours later, etc.

Not sure where a theatre is on Wacker (?) so it's a little difficult to pinpoint the area you need to be near.

If you have any questions, please ask. Additionally, please use the site's link to PRICELINE (click the PRICELINE) to start your purchase.

AaronJB,

The OP stated that the NMA zone was also acceptable... is there a reason to not include that now based upon their plans? (i figured you didn't see that in the post, but wanted to make sure that zone would still be satisfactory for their needs since you know the area best before adding on to the strategy you presented above)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I appreciate the help! I did try bidding last night as per your suggestions. Started with $75 for a 4* in the Loop, then added NMA as the second bid. Then I added 3* as a third bid, then 2.5 as a fourth. No luck, but will try again tonight and up the price.

I'd stop a moment... i wouldn't be so "freely" lowering your star level as you have been.

Since you're a fair amount away from your maximum budget, what is it that you're looking for? Do you prefer to spend a little more for a 4* hotel or are you looking for the least expensive 2.5* or better rated hotel for this stay?

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Good points, thanks both of you. I retried again tonight, staying with 3 and 4* for $85. And you're right, I do have a ways to go before I reach my $ limit. Would like to stay in a nice hotel, so I'll be more patient. Going to see Wicked at the Ford on Randolph just off Wacker, so the Loop area would be great, but don't mind wandering farther up Michigan either.

Funny, my day job is running a 1200 machine computer network, but have never tried priceline. Go figure. And thanks again for your help.

Got it!

(Used your PRICELINE link)

3rd try's a charm. Bidding history above. This time I:

Started $80 4* Loop (was turned down $85 last night)

Rebid a freebie 4* in Midway for $85 (no 4*)

Accepted.

Cool!

August 2 for one night

Hyatt Regency

4 rooms @ $85.00

Subtotal: $340.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $62.00

Total Charges*: $402.00

Excellent deal for a hotel that is $239 per room on this date! :)

Thank you so much for using the link.

Additionally, while no requests are guaranteed since you used Priceline, you could call Hyatt customer service to see if there's any way you could put in a request for rooms next to one another.

Congratulations on your success!

Glad to hear it worked out well (certainly better than the lower star rated hotels you were previously rejected for) and you got a great deal.

Thanks for sharing your win with the board and for using our PRICELINE link to begin your bidding.

Have a great stay.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]