Priceline Hotel: 4* DC (Woodley Park- Dupont Circle) Omni Shoreham

emwitt17
By emwitt17,
in

Hi -

I'm relatively new to your boards and not 100% sure how to beat the system with Priceline. My mother and sister are coming to Washington DC for a baby shower on the first of August. They need a hotel from July 29th - August 3rd. Both of them insist they need to have an outdoor pool and that the hotel be "nice." Right. They also want to pay $100 or less each night.

The baby shower is in Olde Town Alexandria, VA.

I know the Wardman Park Marriott and Omni Shoreham in Woodley Park, Washington DC meet both of those requirements. If I have such narrow search criteria - can I really get a deal with PL? And are either of these hotels in their system? If anyone can help me figure out how to (if it is an option) bid to get one of these during that period I would most appreciate it.

Thanks in advance -

Emily

Welcome to BetterBidding!

Well with the Omni over $175/nite and the Wardman Park Marriott at $259/nite i think both miss on the third (and most important) part of your criteria... price!

When you take all three factors into consideration i don't think you're going to find something under $100, with an outdoor pool, and nice.

I would have a chat with your mother and sister and explain that if they want to 'pick and choose' than they need to book direct... but that will cost them more money than they want to spend.

An alternative is to look at some zones via Hotwire and if you stick with the higher star ratings (3.5* or above) the hotel should be nice. You can then find the hotels within your price range that show a pool icon... but it may or may not be an outdoor pool. You can than take the next step and try to figure out the actual hotel... but there are no guarantees.

The price can come down quite a bit if they want to stay outside of DC (say in Alexandria itself), but then you still have a question mark about the pool being outdoors.

Bottom line is that i think your mother and sister are going to need to compromise in at least one of their 3 criteria. Let us know where they want to 'bend' and we'll try to be of further assistance (even if it's not with priceline/hotwire we'll try to help find the best rate possible for whatever hotel they decide)

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I must be feeling ornery today because I'm going to suggest something different from the great thereuare for the second time in one day. :)

I would be surprised if you don't get the Shoreham, and for no more than $85. Here's why: 1. There are only two 4* hotels in the Dupont/Woodley Park zone, the other being the Westin Embassy Row. 2. The Shoreham comes up regularly, whereas the Westin hardly at all. 3. The omnihotels.com rate for your dates is $188, and I've seen a recent winning bid of $80 when the lowest prevailing rate was also $188. (I myself have gotten the Shoreham at $80 with an omnihotels.com lowest rate of $199.)

So I would definately go with PL, starting at $80, adding $5 with each free rebid.

Good luck!

Please feel free to question my thinking anytime you disagree... open dialogue is what makes message boards great and in the process usually enables everyone to learn something.

We actually may be on the same page here, as i too think the $100 price tag can be achieved... but if somebody insists that there be an outdoor pool, then Priceline may not be the best option unless you explain to them the risks involved and they agree to accept them. Here's a POST with a similar situation.

You know the DC area much better than i do, but even if there is a 90% chance of landing the Shoreham and 10% chance of some other hotel coming up, i think it's only right for the user of the room to make the ultimate decision and have an understanding that there is a 10% chance (or whatever the number is) that the hotel might not have an outdoor pool. If they're willing to take that risk then fine, but if they're not, than i don't think that Priceline is the best option.

The main point i was trying to make above is that Priceline is not the best venue for somebody that needs certain amenities. It's certainly fine to want certain amenities and to try to develop ways to get them... but you must be open to the idea that it may not work out as you plan (no matter how confident you are in that plan).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Yes, I would agree that of course it's not absolutely 100% certain that the Shoreham will come up. I believe I at least included the possibility by saying that I would be "surprised" if it doesn't (so it might not, but I would be surprised) and mentioning that there is one other reported hotel in that zone.

However, I do think that conditions are so favorable that it's about as good as it gets on PL. Here we have only one other hotel in the zone with a higher rate for the dates ($197). In the very unlikely event that the Westin Embassy Row should come up - I don't believe it has in over 2 years - that is a very swanky place. Although they don't have a pool themselves, I just called and found out that guests there have pool privileges at the Westin Embassy Grand's outdoor pool at 23rd and M streets, which is very close.

In the even more unlikely event that a new 4* should come up, I think it's highly likely that any 4* in that zone would be excellent, and very possibly have summer outdoor pool privileges somewhere, if not an actual pool.

If it were me with the very same criteria, I would bid this with just about complete confidence.

I got the Wardman Park Marriott last February on Priceline for $75/night for five nights but that was during a relatively slow season. They even upgraded me to the club level. It's a very nice hotel, with the Metro stop right at the end of their driveway.

Alaska MVP Gold/AA Platinum/HHonors Gold/Marriott Silver/Priority Club Gold/Priceline Addict

Hi again everyone -

I think I want to try and get the Omni Shoreham for under $100. Thanks for all of the feedback on whether it will/won't work. If it doesn't, I'll keep looking. If it does - GREAT. Now how do I do it and get the best chance of winning it?

Emily

I think I want to try and get the Omni Shoreham for under $100. Thanks for all of the feedback on whether it will/won't work. If it doesn't, I'll keep looking

You do understand that once a Priceline bid is accepted (or a Hotwire purchase is made) and the hotel is revealed it is non-refundable, non-cancellable, non-changable, etc.

If it "doesn't work" would you be willing to lose the money for the reservation?

So if you win a bid for 5 nites at $80/nite ($400 total) and it's not the Shoreham you'll book someplace else and accept the $400 loss?

I don't think that's sensible/prudent... but if you feel lucky you're certainly free to go for it.

Above Travelguy recommended:

...starting at $80, adding $5 with each free rebid

He knows the area better than i so i will defer to his bidding strategy. If you need help understanding re-bids, that i can help with :)

Good Luck.

No, that's not what I mean at all. I am only bidding for the Woodley/Dupont Circle area for hotels with 4*. I believe there are only 2 properties that fit that criteria. The Omni and the Westin Embassy Row. The earlier poster suggested that PL users rarely get the WER, but can get the Omni. I am going to try and get the Omni at $80 and $85 - if I get the Omni, I win. If I get the Westin, well, it isn't what I wanted, but it is a good deal - minus a pool. Or, I don't get a hotel with any of the bids I enter and then I will forget PL and try to get a hotel elsewhere.

Isn't that the way it works? If it doesn't, can someone explain my faulty reasoning before I take the plunge?

Thanks - and sorry if I totally am misunderstanding the process.

Emily

No, you are correctly up to speed.

Given that you favor one hotel but would 'settle' for the other is good and the point i was trying to make all along. As long as you could still 'lve with' another hotel in that zone (should it happen) then go for it.

If you need help figuring out your RE-BID ZONES (so that you can make the $85 bid if the $80 bid is rejected) than feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

1st bid - $80 Woodley Park/Dupont Circle, accepted

Omni Shoreham Hotel

2500 Calvert Street Northwest

Washington, District of Columbia

202-234-0700

Check-In Date: Thursday, July 29, 2004

Check-Out Date: Tuesday, August 3, 2004

Your Offer Price: $80.00

Number of Rooms: 1

Number of Nights: 5

Subtotal: $400.00

Taxes and Service Fees: $64.70

Total Charges: $464.70

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]