PA Pittsburgh Marriott City Centre Downtown

cober6711
By cober6711,
in

I got turned away by this hotel because I'm not 21...this seems to be the only hotel in the 3* category that has the 21+ rule; I called all the others and was told 18. Mind you, I was supposed to have been staying with someone who was over 21 but they fell ill.

I had to call Priceline and speak to 3 different people before they'd do anything about it. In the end, my 2 bookings at the Marriott were refunded (in full) and I was told to re-bid under 4* so as to avoid this hotel (mind you only after I told them I called all the 4* hotels and they all said 18 as long as there was no alcohol in the room).

Did so and got the Omni William Penn (for almost double the price), which in fact I was staying at the next night, and I was welcomed with open arms at the Omni.

This hotel is NOT friendly with those under 21. The only thing I was told is that it was because of problems in the past, and that I couldn't check in even though I had a credit card (and would have let them put a hold for 10 grand on it).

It truly is sad that these ageist places exist...I could understand if people pay cash, as there is little recourse if they pay cash.

The minimum age to rent a room in PA is 18.

Well...in exactly 2 months I won't have this problem!

• 3 months later...
It truly is sad that these ageist places exist...

Disgusting. :)

Just because younger people in the past have caused "problems", they're enforcing a blanket indictment of everyone who happens to have been born after a certain date?

As if no one over 21 ever trashed a hotel room.

What if they would have told you that people of your color had caused "problems in the past"? This hotel doesn't deserve your business --- or mine.

• 5 weeks later...

Agreed...

This seems to be the ONLY place in downtown Pittsburgh that doesn't allow anyone under 21 to check in.

I had no problems at any of the 4* places (Westin, Renaissance, Omni), just with the Westin and Renaissance you have to request a 'dry room' in advance.

Thankfully I don't need to worry about this rule anymore; I've finally broken the age barrier!

Oh yes, and mind you I sure didn't bid 3* on my next visit to Pittsburgh...nor will I ever. It will always be 4* unless nothings working...

• 9 months later...

The Pittsburgh Marriott City Centre is located in the heart of downtown Pittsburgh, extremely close and convenient (walk distance) to restaurants, bars, clubs and attractions.

It was quite easy to find and check in was a breeze. They offer 2 parking rates, hourly (up to $16.25 for 24 hrs) or valet ($24) if you have to go in and out. We found the hourly rate suited us best since we would go in and out 1-2 times and walk around most of the times.

The front desk is extremely polite, although the front lobby had several drunk people, since there was a bar inside the hotel on the first floor. Not much of a deal, but surprising.

The room was extremely large. We got a 1 king size bdrm along with a side day bed/couch and a pull out bed/couch as well. It was more than enough space for the 4 of us.

The TV's weren't the greatest, and old 26" CRT but we weren't there to watch TV anyways.

The front desk concierge was extremely polite and provided us a lot of help finding certain places in the city as well as giving us cards with driving information and what to look out for.

The gym was quite nice for a 3.5* hotel. Their weight rooms were good and their treadmills all had built in TVs. There was a sauna/steam room as well, along with a weight scale and height measurement tool.

Overall the experience there was very good. I would definitely go back especially at the amazing priceline price!

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Matt

• 2 years later...

We stayed for a couple of nights at the downtown Marriott and are really pleased with the room we got. Getting to the hotel was a bit of a pain. The hotel was surrounded by road and bridge construction and their attendant detours. I've never been to Pittsburgh before so it took some dumb luck and dead reckoning to get to the hotel as the GPS just kept telling me it was recalculating as I took the detours. Parking at the Marriott is not run by the hotel, but by an independent parking operator. It was $18 per day to park. If you need in-out privileges, you can take the parking slip to the hotel desk and upgrade it for $4.

We were originally given a room with two queens but when got to the floor, it smelled of cigarette smoke. Entering the room, everything smelled fine. We called the desk and asked if we had been placed on a smoking floor, and were told that there is no smoking on any floors of the hotel (city ordinance). We asked to be moved, and to be placed in a room with a king bed. It was no problem, and they sent somebody to investigate the cigarette smell. We saw her as we were moving rooms. She looked like she was hotel security, but knocked on doors proclaiming "housekeeping" as she went in to investigate.

The second room was wonderful. Opening the door, it didn't look like much as you saw a narrow corridor leading to a space where the bed is. However, it was an L-shaped room and turning the corner reveals a desk and with a comfortable desk chair as well as two armchairs and a large leather ottoman. The wi-fi worked fine, but in case it doesn't, the desk drawer had an ethernet cable to connect to the wired connection in the wall. It also had a USB-mini-usb cable, and a monitor cable. We loaded our vacation pics on to our netbook and used the monitor cable to connect to the large flat screen TV and watched it as a slide show.

There's a lot of window along the leg of the L with the desk. Lots of light and we had a great view. About the only negative is that the bathroom was tiny. But really, I'm not spending a lot of my time lounging in the bathroom so it isn't a big deal.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]