Priceline Hotel: first family vacation in over 10 years!

binabina
By binabina,
in

hi.. my family of four (58,50,25,23 year old) is taking a trip to new york, the first family vacation in over ten years...!!

so, since I'm planning most of it, I just wanted to ask everyone for advice on where to stay and what to do, where to eat...etc.

i was thinking about getting the hop on and off bus thing since my parents probably won't like the subway.

we'll be there from june 22-25. i am bidding on priceline for hotel somewhere around midtown west... 4 star for 120? is that too little?

thanks so much. any help will be appreciated =)

Few things...

Is MTW the only acceptable zone for you? I'd also recommend (as i do to many on the board) to also consider MTE and UM/CPS.... both are also centrally located (except maybe for the Millenium UN which is still fine although a bit far east) and gives you many more options and bidding opportunities. Have you seen this thread yet: PRICELINE NYC ZONE DESCRIPTIONS.

Personally i'm not a fan of hop-on/hop-off tours in any city that offers an unlimited mass transportation option (which NYC does). It requires some work and research, but i usually try to talk to locals from the area to find things to do (trying to focus on things i wouldn't read in a tourist book) and create my own hop-on/hop-off tour using the city's mass transit. This saves some money, let's me be surrounded by 'locals' instead of tourists which gives a better feel for an area, and also let's me set my own schedule. I would REALLY try to convince you're parents to use the subway as it is the quickest way anywhere (when you see our traffic you'll understand). Remember we have an extensive bus system also, so the unlimited day passes to create your own hop-on/hop-off tour can still be done above ground (but again, i recommend using both the subway and the bus.... same pass for both!). Here's info regarding NYC mass transit pay system: METROCARD.

I have also posted my LOCAL THINGS TO DO IN NYC and board member lwitchel has done the same HERE.

Are you bidding for two rooms (or one?) Where are you coming in from and how will you get here?

Let us know the answers to the above questions (zones, where you're coming from, etc) and i'll recommend a bidding strategy for you to follow. Also, make sure you understand RE-BIDDING as any strategy will include that 'technique', so if you have any questions regarding re-bidding post them also.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

wow thanks for the quick response

yes i will consider MTE too but my parents tire out pretty easily, and i dont want them to have to walk around everywhere... so i probably don't want to go any farther out from the touristy areas than that.

and as for the hotel.. well.. i'm bidding for one room but at a four star so that we can ask for two double beds. that's ok right? my friends and i do that all the time at places like vegas. but not too sure if it's ok in ny too... hm. if worst comes to worst, my bro and i can sleep on the floor...

so we'll be arriving in ny next tuesday morning, june 22, and leaving friday around 6PM. so we'll need a hotel for three nights. i have a tentative booking at grand hyatt for 218/night with tax included that'll be automatically canceled tomorrow if i dont act fast.

please tell me what to do. haha.

Rates for your dates are not cheap... I don't think $120 will be enough. I think it will likely take a bid closer to $140-$160, maybe even a bit more.

What is the highest that you are willing to bid. Do you understand re-bidding? At the 4* level you have two re-bids available... you can feel free to confirm them with the board if you're unsure of which ones they are. Is the UM/CPS zone also acceptable... it's still considered part of the 'tourist' area... how about MTS?

You can certainly request 2 beds as you do in Vegas, but keep in mind that rooms in NYC are notoriously small and therefore there are likely a greater number of rooms with one bid than two (which reduces your chances of getting one of them).

Are you flying or driving in?

Let me know about the other zones, if you understand re-bidding, and what your maximim bid is... i'll then be able to suggest an appropriate strategy.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thanks so much for your reply

and uh.. no i dont know what rebidding is..

i'm flying in around noon on tuesday and around 6pm on friday

and i think i really really want to stay in midtown

should i just book hilton times sqaure for 217/night tax included? that huge hotel must have double bed rooms available. right?

my max bid would probably be around 150, since it doesn't include tax, and for a little more, i have more control over where i stay.

thanks =)

I'm can't assure you that you'll get a double bed, given that you'll be checking in early in the day i think you have a better chance. You may also want to sign up for a Hilton Honors card as having one certainly couldn't hurt your bedding request.

This PRICELINE RE-BIDDING link explains the concept and in this area will allow you to make a few extra bids without waiting the usually required 72 hours. If you want me to suggest a strategy to try to beat your back-up rate... you have two re-bid zones available so you should try to figure them out and confirm them with the board before proceeding. If you're unsure or confused ask questions and we'll explain re-bidding to youin further detail.

To give you an idea of how rates have increased since you reserved that $217/nite rate... the Hilton Times Square is now showing sold-out for your dates and other hotels i've looked at are $300+.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]