Priceline Hotel: 4* Chicago (Millenium-Loop-Grant Park) Palmer House Hilton

amyinmonty
By amyinmonty,
in

Two of my friends and I are staying in Chicago June 11-14. We want to be near shopping and restaurants, so I've been bidding between $50 and $75 for a 4-star in Zone 5 on Priceline. All have been rejected. After reviewing the list of 3-star hotels on this forum, I've been contemplating changing my bid to include 3-star hotels as well. I'm also considering adding Zone 4 to my bid, but we want to make sure we're in the midst of the activity - and won't have to take a cab everywhere we want to go. We plan to share one room, and although we'd like a pool and fitness center, we are flexible. More than anything, we want a good location and a clean room. For backup, I currently have a room at the Sheraton Chicago Hotel and Towers booked for $188 and have been contemplating booking a room at the Chicago City Centre Hotel at a rate for $170 instead. I'd like to keep my bid on PRICELINE under $100. Any advice for this PL newbie is appreciated!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

To begin, are you aware that PRICELINE only guarantees double occupany and you could be assigned a room with only one bed? Is a risk you're willing to take? (many are willing to take this risk, just making sure that you're aware)

If so...

Please list the zones by PRICELINE name and not zone number. I'm assuming Zone5=NMA-River North and Zone4=The Loop?

The Loop area gets quiet at night and is a not really in the 'heart' of the nightlife, but easy enough to get to the nightlife. It's really one of personal preference if you're willing to stay in the Loop zone to save some money.

Lastly, if you're back up is $188 (or even $170) i would be bidding higher than your current $75 limit... is the 'unknown' factor only worth it to you if you can save $100/nite? If you were told that you could be successful at $125 would the savings not be worth it to you??

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know your thoughts regarding the above and we'll take it from there.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

You were correct on the zones. My preference is NMA-River North. I understand the double occupancy risk, hence my reluctance to go much higher than $100. I'm also wondering about bidding for a 3-star and whether I would be sacrificing much to get in the zone I want at a price that I want. From more experienced Priceliners, I'm wondering if I will notice a big difference between a 3* and a 4* in the NMA-River North area.

There are a few good or very good 3* hotels in the River North/NMA area on PRICELINE. However, they unfortunately are not ones that come up as wins very often. The more common 3*'s are simply average - not great, not terrible.

There are more 4*'s in this area & it generally seems as if there's more desirable 4* inventory. The only undesirable 4* - in my opinion - in the River North/NMA would be the Millennium Knickerbocker (although that is currently undergoing a remodel from top-to-bottom.) The Sheraton Towers isn't great either, but is passable enough. Other 4*'s in the River North/NMA are good-to-great.

I wouldn't recommend bidding for a 3* in the Loop, as you could wind up at one of the Club Quarters locations, which has terribly small rooms. The 4* Loop hotels are fine, but if you're primarily interested in shopping, I'd consider focusing your bidding in the River North/NMA area.

HOTWIRE has a 3* in the Mag Mile/Streeterville area for your dates for $96. It appears to be the City Centre Hotel (which is slated to be "rebranded" as a Doubletree in July). The City Centre is a basic hotel, but it's in a very nice area just a few blocks East of Michigan Ave. and a couple blocks West of the lake/Navy Pier (not that I'd recommend Navy Pier, but just to give an idea of location.)

I'd recommend bidding $100 for a 4* and at least considering going a little higher than that. If that doesn't work, the HOTWIRE option is an option.

It will last unitl the rooms the hotel has offered HOTWIRE are purchases OR another hotel at the same rating in the zone offers HOTWIRE inventory at a lower price than the current hotel.

Let us konw how you'd like to proceed and we'll advise accordingly.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If it's the one in the NMA/GC/WT area w/ Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business, Spa it's very possibly the W Lakeshore. If you're looking for a hip hotel, that's perfect. It is a bit of a walk (about 5-7 minutes) from Michigan Ave. shopping, but it's in a really nice area across from the lake. Not that I particularly recommend visiting it, but Navy Pier is a couple of blocks away. There's also a very nice beach right there & quite a few nice restaurants nearby.

Additionally, if this Hotwire listing is in fact the W Lakeshore, there is a Bliss Spa in the hotel.

However, if location is what's most important, if you search for 4 people instead of two on HOTWIRE for your dates, there should be a 3.5* in the NMA/WT/GC area with the amenities: fitness, restaurant, business, internet, golf, tennis, spa for $169. This would appear to be either the Radisson (which is half a block from Michigan Ave.) or an upgraded (from 3* to 3.5*) Hotel Indigo. If it's the Indigo, that would be a fantastic "girl's weekend" hotel about a 5-7 minute walk North of the Michigan Ave. area in the Gold Coast neighborhood.

Please include the complete list of amenities that HOTWIRE associates with the property and we'll have a look.

I have a couple that came up when I searched for occupancy of 3 for June 11-14:

4* NMA/WT/GC

$175 (You save $61.33)

Amenities

Fitness

Pool

Restaurant

Business Center

High Speed Internet

Listed as "Best Value"

3.5* NMA/WT/GC

$154 (You save $65)

Amenities:

Fitness

Restaurant

Business Center

High Speed Internet

Golf

Tennis

Spa

Listed as "Best Value"

3* Magnificent Mile

$149 (You save $50)

Amenities:

Fitness

Pool

Restaurant

Business Center

High Speed Internet

Laundry

Many more options came up when I searched under occupancy of 2. Are the additional options hotels that only have one bed in the room? Thanks!

After your help and constant monitoring of both HOTWIRE and PRICELINE, I had decided to bid on Priceline first for the NMA zone and then at a lower price by adding the Loop/Grant Park/ area. After several attempts over the last week, I was successfull today.

$75 NMA - rejected. Added Loop and rebid for $65 - rejected.

$90 NMA - rejected. Added Loop and rebid for $75 - rejected.

$100 NMA - rejected.

$110 NMA - rejected.

Then today:

First bid $120 for 4* NMA. Rejected counter offer for $144.

Added Loop to rebid for 4*, and lowered price to $90.

The Palmer House Hilton 4-star

Millennium Park, Loop & Grant Park Area

17 East Monroe Street

Chicago, Illinois 60603

312-726-7500

Check-In Date: Wed. June 11/ After 03:00 PM

Check-Out Date:

Saturday, June 14, 2008 / 11:00 AM

Amenities: Remote control TV w/ premium channels Telephone w/ voicemail Radio Alarm Clock Iron and ironing board Hairdryer Business services 24 hour front desk Restaurant Room service Bellman Concierge Fitness center access

Your Offer Price Per Room, Per Night: $90.00

Subtotal: $270.00

Taxes & Service Fees: $50.51

Total Charges*: $335.51

Best Rate at the Hotel's web site - $233.10 per night

I immediately called and requested two double beds, which she added to the computer. I forgot to mention that I am a HH member, though. Will call back tomorrow. Used the PRICELINE link on this site. Reviews rate this hotel all over the board, so hopefully our experience will be a good one!

Thank you!

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]