Priceline Hotel: 4* NYC (MTE) Grand Hyatt

flyaway
By flyaway,
in

Hi there... this is my first post, so forgive me if I don't have the hang of the right format.

There are two of us, and we'll be in New York for two nights in October. It's a surprise birthday trip for my fiance. We'd like to stay in the typical tourist area, I suppose. I wouldn't mind lower Manhattan if it saved us a bunch of money. I'd love to stay under $150 for something in midtown, but would rather pay less for something in lower Manhattan... I'm not sure it's possible to make that kind of distinction, though.

I see a hotel, which I believe is the Embassy Suites in Lower Manhattan, available for $140 on Hotwire. It seems like a good deal, though I don't have a good sense of whether that would be too far out of the way for such a short trip, with it being his first time to New York.

Any advice you can give would be helpful!

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I took a look and the 4* hotel that i presume you are seeing on Hotwire is most likely the Embassy Suites. However, at $140 i don't think it represents such a fantastic value that i would feel compelled to 'settle' for that this early before your arrival date. If you intend to do 'tourisy' things it is indeed a bit out of the way (not terribly so, but you won't get the true "NYC" experience if you stay down there... especially on a weekend). I'd sooner try for one of the midtown locations, with the idea that i'd have to save about $40-$50/nite in order to stay downtown.

If your plans are 'firm' (they won't change) and you are ready to bid this know i'll be happy to supply a bidding strategy to follow, just let me know if you have read and understand the concept of RE-BIDDING (if not just ask questions and we'll get you up to speed :) )

My guess is that it will most likely take a bid between $140-$160 for a 4* in midtown. I can certainly provide something that doesn't go above $150 at this point, but let me know if you are willing to go as high as $160 in your bidding and i'll advise accordingly.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thanks for your response!

Our plans are firm, as I've already got our plane tickets and some great seats for Beauty and the Beast!

I think I understand the re-bidding. The only thing I'm a little foggy on is the re-bid zones after you've already added the prime zones... I think that's when you pick a zone knowing it doesn't have any four star hotels in it, so you're re-bidding without truly adding any zones.

I'm fine with going up to $160. Closer to the date, I'd go into the 200's, but this far out I'd like to see if I can get a better deal. :)

Well i would try to lowball first (never hurts to try and you certainly have time on your hands).

At the 4* level you have 2 re-bid zones available, feel free to confirm them with us before bidding if you're unsure of which ones they are.

Select 4* MTW and...

Bid $100, if rejected add MTE and...

Bid $110, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $120, if rejected add MTS and...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid#1 and...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid#2 and...

Bid $135.

if that's rejected wait 72 hours and....

Select 4* MTW and...

Bid $100, if rejected add MTE and...

Bid $120, if rejected add UM/CPS and...

Bid $130, if rejected add MTS and...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid#1 and...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid#2 and...

Bid $160.

Good Luck and let us know how you make out with the first strategy and then again after the second strategy.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Excellent!!

Congratulations on your win.

This hotel recently went thru renovations and the location is very good... a short 10 minute walk to Times Square and direct access to numerous subway lines.

I highly recommend, as i do to everyone staying in this area, to have breakfast at Ess-A-Bagel one morning. It makes for an inexpensive breakfast and has some of the best bagels NYC has to offer (on Third Ave at 51st St).

Let us know if we can be of any further help with your NYC plans as i'm local to the area as are a few others on the board.

Enjoy your stay.

PS- nice surprise/present for your fiance... i bet it will be hard to keep it a secret until October now that more of your plans are taking hold

LOL... yeah, it will be hard to keep it a surprise. However, I'm really determined, as we keep trying to surprise one another, and neither of us has succeeded yet! My plan is to give him a wrapped present the morning of his birthday (the day we leave!), and when he opens the box, it will be all of the information on the trip. I need to let his work know beforehand.

Let me ask... what's the best way to get from Newark into town? I've gone to the Airtrain website, but it seems really complicated... something about Airtrain and Amtrak and then transferring to a bus or subway.

Have you seen this post: GETTING FROM AIRPORT TO HOTEL

If not give it a read and then if you have additional questions about any particular option feel free to ask. Given your hotel is at Grand Central, my first choice would probably be the bus to Port Authority, but if coming in during peak traffic times i would probably choose the AirLink.

As i said, feel free to ask any questions regarding any of the options (and include the time of day you'll be traveling).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]