Hotwire Hotel: 3* NYC (MTC) Holiday Inn Midtown

j-sto
By j-sto,
in

Hi all

Am going to New York on 16th May for 6 nights and will be hoping to book something on Priceline, having discovered it recently and having browsed this fantastic site! However, having read some of the posts, there does not seem to be any straightforward way to book for 2 or more people.

There will be three of us going - however we're all arriving and leaving at different times so will need a room for 2 on the first night (16th May), for 3 on the next 4 nights, then again for 2 on the last night (21st May). As such, I planned to book a room for 2 for the entire period and then contact the hotel directly for a rollaway for 4 nights. However this is obviously a bit risky in case the hotel can't do this!

Hence I was just after anyone's views on my idea! I was going to be looking for a 4* hotel in a decent area of Manhattan for the usual tourist sites and going out hotspots. Are there any areas that I am more likely to find success than others? Perhaps I should contact each of the hotels on the forum list to see if they can accommodate 3 people?

Many thanks

Jonny

Thanks!

Hadn't thought about splitting my bid, but would consider it if it saved a lot, however I would be quite keen to stay in the same place. Would splitting the bed help with the "3 people" problem?

My max budget would be $300 per night, though would hope to get for less than that if possible!

Thanks

Jonny

What is the minimum star rating you're willing to accept?

If your answer above is less than 4*, are you willing to pay more for a higher rated hotel or is the least expensive hotel at your minimum star rating the ultimate goal?

What is the best deal you've been able to find thru conventional methods which can accomodate all three in your group?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

there seems to be little out there for that time period for 3 of us - generally $400 a night, but that usually isn't including taxes.

ultimately, I wanted to stay at the best possible place within our bedget - would be happy to stay at a lower star rating, though would be willing to pay more for a better star rating - eg maybe $250 for a 3* vs $300ish for a 4* - though if I thought I would be getting a good 3* that could accommodate all of us, then I should be willing to pay $300!

hope that makes sense!

My thought(s) were as follows:

The Hyatt on the Hudson in Jersey City appears to be available for the first and last nites of your stay... this hotel is in Jersey City (NJ) but is litterally 50ft from a PATH station which will have you in downtown Manhattan in 8 minutes. For these two nites, you could probably land this property for between $85-$125/nite, which would still give you easy access to Manhattan as well as save some money for doing things in the city and for the other nites of your stay (which i suspect will be near the upper bounds of your limit). It's a very nice hotel, built on a pier over the Hudson River, and the rooms have great views of the NYC Skyline... with that said, it is in Jersey City, not NYC, and you do lose most of the 'nyc vibe' of being in the city.

While getting to this property from JFK is easy enough, it will be a bit more of a hassle than if you stayed in Manhattan. If this is an option i'll review your transportation options before you make your purchase so that you know what will be involved (cost, time, etc).

If this isn't an option, i would still consider splitting the first and last nite (if you're willing to change hotels twice during your stay) since booking triple occupancy is going to inflate the price of the room, and you don't really need to pay this 'surcharge' for the nites you'll only be double ocupancy.

Again, it comes down to cost vs. convenience.

Thoughts?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thanks for your continued help!

do you know if that hotel can accommodate 3 in a room as if so, I would be tempted to stay there for the entire time! in fact more so than having to switch out and in again! what "strategy" would should I use to book it if this is the case?

if not, what would be the best way to go about booking a room for three people? I think I may phone around a number of hotels this evening to see if they can accommodate an extra bed once I have booked a room for 2 and find the areas where all/majority of hotels can!

do you know if that hotel can accommodate 3 in a room
It's not a question of a hotel has rooms which can accomodate three people, it's more so do their standard rooms accomodate that many, and if they do... will you be able get such a room. The hotels may be booked and only be able to give you a room with one bed OR a room with two beds may be considered an upgrade (which they may or may not be willing to let you pay to upgrade to)
I would be tempted to stay there for the entire time
No, the Hyatt isn't available at that rate for your complete stay (upwards of $300+ when searching for all/most of your dates)
I think I may phone around a number of hotels this evening to see if they can accommodate an extra bed once I have booked a room for 2 and find the areas where all/majority of hotels can!
You can try... but personally i don't see much value in doing so. Your budget is going to be tight for this complete stay that i don't belive you're going to be able to 'pick and choose' as much as you think.

thanks yeah would agree its prob too much of a risk booking a room and then hoping they can upgrade / add in an extra bed, especially given the size of most hotel rooms in NYC.

As such, I guess HOTWIRE may be a better bid than PRICELINE. Do you have any recommendations for this (apologies if this isn't the right forum!). The three of us could probably pay $350 per night between us - could we get something decent for this amount?

right, think i'm almost there!

have found the following available on hotwire:

4-star hotel in Midtown East - $309 (+ taxes) per night

with fitness centre, restaurant, business centre, high speed internet and tennis nearby

tripadvisor rating is 3.5/5, with 440+ reviews

sounds like the Grand Hyatt New York (though possibly the intercontinental barclay)

would you agree with me there or might it be somewhere else? almost there i think!!

I partially agree...

It's a match for both the Grand Hyatt and the Inter-Continental so either of those would be our best guess, but of the two i think this is more likely the Inter-Continental than the Grand Hyatt.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

you're right, it does look like the intercontinental... who can't guarantee a rollaway in the rooms :), so no good for 3!

may book what looks like the Omni Bershire for 3 for $359 instead

however was wondering what the following could be: any ideas?

3-star hotel in Central Park Area -

boutique, restaurant and high speed internet, no tripadvisor "clues"

also, do you preferred links to use for easyclicktravel - grand central fitzpatrick is an option!

No guess on the Central Park property and i'll "warn" that a lot of that area goes pretty far north... not necessarily where you'd want to be (some of the zone is fine, but some areas within the zone are not where you want to be).

All done and dusted finally!

booked the holiday inn midtown/57th on hotwire for $314 for 5 nights for the 3 of us, then the Hyatt in the centre of new york for 2 of us through priceline for the last night!

cheers for your help with this.

J

Congratulations on your success!

Can you please add the amenities shown before your HOTWIRE purchase for the Holiday Inn... you can still view these by going to HOTWIRE and clicking the MY ACCOUNT link near the top right of their home page.

Then please start a NEW TOPIC to reflect the PRICELINE win of the Hyatt. This will enable both to be reflected in the topic title of their respective threads as well as allow each win to appear in the Priceline and Hotwire Calendar of Wins.

Enjoy your stay(s).

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]