Priceline Hotel: Bid Assistance....NYC

Gdogg6
By Gdogg6,
in

Hello all, I would like some advice on trying to land a good deal for three nights in NY. I am traveling there with my wife, my brother and his wife, and my dad (5 people) on Wednesday June 4th. We will be staying until Saturday, June 7th. I am starting to freak out a little bit...the last three times I or someone from my family has went to NY we were able to get rooms in the Times Square area (4*) for $125-$150 a night. I tried a few different bids last night...everywhere from $100 all the way up to $150 and all of them got denied. I even tried a 2.5* today for $130 in several different locations and it was denied.

Could some of you experts give me some advice on what to try next? I don't really care what area we stay in, we are going to see the main attractions that New York has to offer (Times Square, Central Park, Statue of Liberty, Grand Central Station, Empire State Building, etc.).

I have been locked out for trying to bid again for 24 hours...I think that is up this evening. I'm not sure the best method to going back and trying again. We were hoping to get two rooms for those nights at around $150.00 a room....I would hate to go over $170.00 a night...but obviously we will if we have to.

Any suggestions will help....thank you so much!

Grant

Thought I would throw this interesting tidbit out as well. I just called the Hudson Hotel direct becuase I've seen that they have accepted a lot of Priceline offers and I was concerned because of how small people are saying the rooms are. We have a group of five people going...one bed in one of the rooms is fine but we really need two beds in the second room. The guy I talked to said that a rollaway or cot would not fit in their standard single rooms. I asked him if I received two rooms and they were both singles if I could call back in and get a room with two beds...he said there is a price difference between single rooms and the larger rooms with two beds, I asked him if I could pay to uprade one of them if this situation arises. He said that we would have to do any upgrades through Priceline...he went onto say that he knows Priceline says that all changes need to be handled directly with the hotel but he said that was not the case. Does anyone have any information on this?

Thanks,

Grant

Ok, tried again tonight but didn't come up with much. I tried 4* and 3*. Either one is fine with me, I would like to start with 4 star and see if I can get anything. I have yet to bid anything over $155.00 but have come to the conclusion that its time to start doing so.

My next goal is to try and find something in the $150-$200 range. Can someone help me with a strategy on this one? Thank you very much, I look forward to your response.

G

Welcome to BetterBidding!

When using PRICELINE in NYC and looking for more than double occupancy in a room you run a real risk of getting a hotel with only one bed and no room for a rollaway (The Hudson is not the only hotel in which this risk exists... there are quite a few others).

For starters, is this a risk you're willing to accept?

To confirm/summarize, you have already bid all NYC zone (within the island of Manhattan) up to $150 for a 3 star or higher rated hotel?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

thereuare...thanks again for help on the Boston leg of my trip. I'm ready to try for the NY side of the trip.

I would like to try and get a good deal now in the Manhattan area...all except the upper west and east sides I think. I would prefer to be in the Times Square or Theater district. But I would take a 4* or 3* anywhere around there. I would prefer to try for a 4* first. You had some good advice for me about the Waterfront. I will go wherever you think I can get the best deal. My cap for now is $200.00. I am a little more concerned about the smaller rooms and maybe not getting a room with two beds..but that is a risk we are willing to take. It really depends on the hotel on how they handle that, I have had some change it for me right away and the one today in Boston told me to call Priceline. I did and Priceline was very helpful in putting that request in for me. I'm hopeful that I don't get the Hudson Hotel...as I've heard they have very small rooms...but we'll take what we can get.

Thanks,

Grant

At the 4* level you have four re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* MTE and UM-CPS...

Bid $110, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $115, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $125, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline...

Select 4* MTW and Times Square...

Select 4* MTS and MTE...

Select 4* MTE and MTW...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $145, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline...

Select 4* Times Square and UM-CPS...

Select 4* MTS and MTW...

Select 4* MTE and Times Square...

Bid $150, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $165, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline...

Select 4* MTW and UM-CPS...

Select 4* MTS and UM-CPS...

Select 4* MTE and MTS and UM-CPS...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline...

Select 4* MTE and MTW and Times Square...

Bid $170, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $175, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $180, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $185, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline...

Select 4* MTE and MTW and UM-CPS and Times Square and MTS...

Bid $190, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $195, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $200, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $205 (if you decide you want to try the extra $5)

Any questions feel free to ask.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Good luck and let us know how it goes.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I still haven't tried this strategy yet. I was looking at a possible rental apartment but from what I've read you have to be real careful especially when the person requires you to wire money to hold your reservation.

Anyway, I think I am turning to Priceline again. thereuare, you nailed it for my Boston trip on your recommendation. I want to stay in Manhattan if at all possible....we want to avoid the upper west and east sides...4* is preference but we would do a 3* as well. I was hoping for $150 to $200 originally. It looks like that may be too low. What do you think? Do you think we could get into something in the $200 to $230 range? We do have 5 people so we do understand that one of the rooms may be very tight....but at this point that is a risk we are willing to assume.

If you were me, when would you start bidding?

Thanks,

Grant

...when would you start bidding?

I would be bidding now, but for a more detailed discussion, see the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.

I'm guessing you're going to have to at least go up to (or over) your current limit to find success at a 4* or 3* property.

Let us know when you're ready to begin bidding and your current maximum bid and we'll update the strategy above for you to follow.

pricelnie.hotwire

If I am looking for two rooms on Hotwire...at the very beginning when I put in two rooms and then it asks for how many adults, do I put in 5 which will be the total number or do I put in 3 since that will be the most in one room?

I don't want to put in five and have them think that I need five per room.

Please help because I see a great deal right now but I am not sure if I should snag it up or not.

Thanks...

you should put the total number of guests as 5

after you're successful, can you share your good fortune with the board? :)

PS, you may want to put in 6 or 8 and see if this affects the final price, this way it could help you get both rooms with two double beds. With 4 per room, the minimum accomodation is one bed and a sofa bed or cot.

Let me ask a couple of you this....tell me your thoughts. I'm thinking about using both HOTWIRE and PRICELINE.

How about I go through hotwire and look for one room in Manhattan that will accomodate four people...that way I'm guaranteed two beds. Next, once that is booked and I know the location I can get real aggressive on a Priceline hotel room and not have to worry about not getting a room that won't accomodate more than two people. I can then try to get a hotel as close to the Hotwire hotel as possible. Afterall, we don't necessarily have to sleep in the same hotel rooms...we will all be together during the day and night....

What do you guys think?

You won't be able to target a hotel close the one you receive on HOTWIRE... other than "in the zone".

If that is acceptable, your plan would be 'ok', although i woudn't think it's worthwhile (imo). When traveling with another group (or family) i prefer to be at the same hotel, as it makes coordinating plans, meeting up in the morning, later in the day for dinner, etc, etc much easier. As well, what if the men want to go have a drink while the wives each go back to the room to 'freshen up' (or take a nap)... impromptu 'hanging out' is more difficult with the group at different hotels and woudln't likely be worth the savings (to me at least... others may think differently).

On the other hand... if you're trying to get away from your family... :)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Thank you guys for all your help...theruare, thanks for the boston help. I went ahead and booked directly through a hotel today, the Roger Smith Hotel. I called them directly and explained my situation, told them that I was a AAA member...they gave me two rooms with two beds in each. This way we can be for sure that we are all in the same hotel and everyone has a bed. It did cost a little more...but in my mind it was worth it. It is in a good area and we got it for $279.00 per room per night.....they are also fully cancelable if we find something better.

Thank you guys so much...I will be back on here soon to try and find rooms in San Antonio for a business trip that I'm going on the week of May 12th. I will use your links and see if you guys can help me out with a strategy.

Thanks,

Grant

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]