Priceline Hotel: 4* Orange County (Newport-Huntington Beach) Hyatt

cruisin Lisa
By cruisin Lisa,
in

Just discovered this forum tonight. Thought I'd post my recent hotel bid. Think I'll spend more time here because I like the atmosphere over here better than at TOBB ( I kind of got scolded by the administrator for not using their link).

Anyway, wanted a 4* for a hotel stay in the Newport Beach/Huntintington Beach area for a one night stay with my honey for a short 20th anniversary get-away (we're going on our major vacation on the Caribbean Princess later this August) .

Started my bid at $64 and increased by $1 amounts using the free rebidding zones (fountain valley, etc) until it was accepted for $69/night for June 26-27th.

there uare,

I have a question for you. In this area of Newport Beach/Huntington beach where I was interested in getting a hotel, as far as I know by researching the TOBB board (because at the time I didn't know yours existed) before making the above bid, there are only 2 "4 *" hotels available. . . either the Newport Hyatt which had been going for about $50-52/night or the Huntington Beach Hyatt that has been going for about $69-72/night.

I bid the above bid starting at $64 assuming that I would end up with the HB Hyatt since my bid was closer to the "going rate" for the HB Hyatt (eg substantially higher that what the Newport Hyatt ws going for).

Could there been a possibility that I could have gotten stuck with the Newport Hyatt instead with my $64 bid (eg whcih would've been about $14 over what other bidders had gotten it for)?

I was bidding under the impression that bids in the mid $60 range would automatically be geared towards the higher bid property, and if I had bid in the mid $40 ranges and go up, I would automatically be geared towards the property that usually sold for $50. I would've been an unhappy camper if I had ended up paying $64 for a property that usualy sold for $50.

Your bid will get accepted at the property whose rate is closest to but lower than your bid. The rates the hotels load into the system are the minimum they are willing to accept, so assuming your prices above for the HB Hyatt are correct you wouldn't have received this hotel (and bidding the way you did is somewhat risky since, as you point out, it could easily result in an overbid). If the rate the HB Hyatt loaded into the system was $69, they would not have accepted your $64 bid.

Here is a thread on the subject that you may be interested in: DON"T BID HIGHER FOR A SPECIFIC HOTEL.

Hope the above answers your questions, but if not feel free to continue the discusssion.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]