Hotwire Hotel: Please help identify 4* Times Sq/Theatre 08/07/08-08/09/08 (2nights) &

mattlacroix1983
By mattlacroix1983,
in

A suggestion...

It is waaaay too early to be booking a non-refundable hotel at $200+ for the summer months, which is typically low season in NYC. (there may be something in particular driving up rates for this particular stay, but nothing that i'm aware of at the moment). As well, the above rates dont' represent a significant discount to (what i believe to be) good alternatives for these dates, which you could (and should) book as cancellable reservations:

All thru Quickbook (please use this link):

Gild Hall $209/nite - hotel is located downtown and is going thru a 'soft opening' so some amenities/services are not available (no restaurant, room service, lobby is temporary, etc) but some of these may be available by the time of your stay. Even with the soft opening it's been getting some great reviews.

Time Hotel $225/nite (Queen bed, stay away from the $216 Full bed unless you're travling solo) - gets some mixed reviews but is generally 4* rated and could serve your needs if you need a midtown location and inline wiht the prices above

Fitzpatrick Grand Central $245/nite - inline with a previous requests above and gives you location and excellent reviews. Alternately their sister property, Fitzpatrick Manhattan is available fro $249/nite and equally gets positive reviews. If you need a midtown location either would be a good choice as a back-up.

All of the above are "Book Now Pay Later" rates and are cancellable up until a few days before your stay (always doublecheck cancellation policy on your own, which at Quickbook is viewable by clicking the Hotel Name in the search offerings and you can then see a link to the cancellation terms... usually no penalty on 'book now pay later' rates if cancelled w/n 2-4 days of arrival)

Pending anything BIG happening in Manhattan during your dates i suspect you'll likely be able to get a 4* hotel for under $200/nite thru PRICELINE or HOTWIRE, but you should book a cancellable back-up now to protect yourself in case there is something happening which causes rates to go higher from here.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Do any of the above work for your needs and are you able to hold-off booking your 'final' hotel?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Brilliant suggestions thanks.

Booking a backup is a great Idea.

I am tossing up between Time hotel for its great midtown location.

And Gild Hall Hotel for its coolness factor!

I will hold off a few months before trying hotwire again. I got a great deal for Washington DC using priceline(same week). Tried the same in NY and wasn't so successful but if it's not high season then I will wait - plus, as you say having a backup is a great plan.

Im also quite impressed that they are the same rates as the Paramount and Milford plaza hotels which I have stayed in before which seem far inferior to them!

Ill keep you posted.

When it tells you that you're getting e.g. 22% off the price published - where does it get these from? It's not from the hotel websites as I have been checking some winning bids against this... it's close but not.

Any ideas Thereuare?

Also, do you know in the list of hotels hotwire uses on this site it says sometimes

e.g. 'VP not showing laundry now' - what is VP by the way???

THanks

I've seen the prices come from different sources, but a warning that this shouldn't be used to identify properties since the retail rate is NOT for that particular hotel, but rather a hotel of that quality in the area... so the rate can be correct, but often is not.

VP = vacation package

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Special events can cause high demand and therefore higher hotel prices, but generally speaking, summer months in NYC can usually be had for $125-$175/nite... but as noted, there are certainly exceptions to this range.

Ok ... I guess its not a special event since the 2 weeks before and 2 weeks after are all around this price! So I will wait and then use the links provided and post my bids! :) thanks again

Just make sure you DO book a refundable back-up (Quickbook is usually great for this purpose) if you haven't already.

Too often users fail to do so and while they're waiting for prices to drop they search one day and all of a sudden everything is more expensive than it was just a few days before... a refundable back-up protects you from this happening and gives you a concrete number of what it is you're trying to beat.

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I'm looking at exact same situation 4* Times Sq/Theatre 07/09/08-07/14/08 (5nights)

Getting a price of $203

Amenities:

Boutique, Fitness Center, High-Speed Internet Access

Tripadvisor 160+ as of March 2008

Seems to match the Hotel Mela

only thing is the price says its 33% savings with a Retail of $302.40 = $99.40 savings.

If u check Expedia.com it shows the Millenium Broadway with an exact price of $302.40, and the mela has a price of $305.

so that is the only thing throwing me off as I know Expedia owns Hotwire.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]