Priceline Hotel: 4* Downtown Toronto - Strategy needed

Bal Singh
By Bal Singh,
in

Hi,

It my first post here so please be nice to me :)

I've used Priceline before when going away with the other half. Now we have a little one and are planning a trip to Toronto & NY in June. She will be 6 months at that point.

My main query is that if we use Priceline to get a decent 4* hotel in both places, are they likely to have any issues with the baby as an extra occupant? OR should we not use Priceline anymore???

Anyone on here had the same dilemma??

Bear in mind that the little will probably end up sleeping with us so there wont be the issue of needed a cot (unless the hotel dont mind providing one).

Thanks in advance.

Welcome ot BetterBidding!

I have traveled with my 3 1/2 yeard old since birth (now have another baby, currently 7 months, who we have not traveled with yet) and have not had any problems... able to get a crib (pak n play usually) in all hotels so far. HOWEVER, we did not use when we went to Paris given the difference in star quality of US vs. European hotels. I generally bid the higher star levels (3* and above... more often 4* when offered).

If you need a crib for your Manhattan stay i would think otherwise, but since you don't, i would bid it... but would try for a 4* if your budget allowed to hopefully not get a shoebox of a room and a larger bed.

If you are uncomfortable with it, HOTWIRE is always an option and will allow you to select up to triple occupancy on your search (although not really required thru HOTWIRE since they ask for the number of adults, defined as 18+, and the number of children, defined as 2-17)

If you need help with bidding for either stay please post the details (dates, zone, minimum star rating, maximum bid, etc) in the appropriate state/country category and we'll try to help.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Should you win a room, I would call the hotel and see what their policy is on infants in regard to their room occupancy and rates. If up to a certain age, it doesn't matter, I would then ask about a crib or such. If you can't get two beds or a crib, hopefully you get a larger bed. It's best not to sleep with an infant if you can avoid it - adults can roll over on them an smother them. It's not worth the risk if you can avoid it.

• 3 weeks later...

Hi,

I'll be looking to book a 4* hotel in Downtown Toronto using the advice from this site on re-bid zones etc.

The dates are June 17th - June 21st (4 nights).

First question, does it matter how low I start the bidding (or is it a case that the lower I start, the longer it will take to get myself up to a sensible price)? Is there a guide price as I havent got one in mind other than getting the best deal.

Also, is now the right time to do it or should I wait till closer to June to book?

I have used PRICELINE before but never HOTWIRE ... is there any reason why HOTWIRE may be better for Toronto based on user experience??

Any help appreciated,

Bal.

I have used PRICELINE before but never HOTWIRE ... is there any reason why HOTWIRE may be better for Toronto based on user experience??
HOTWIRE splits the Downtown zone into East and West, while PRICELINE uses one larger zone. If you have a desire to narrow the possible geographic area of your hotel, or target a specific property, then HOTWIRE may be a better option. If you're simply looking for the lowest price then PRICELINE is likey a better option.
Also, is now the right time to do it or should I wait till closer to June to book?
See the related link in our PRICELINE FAQ.
Is there a guide price as I havent got one in mind other than getting the best deal.
Based upon our comments above, let us know if you prefer to use PRICELINE or HOTWIRE. If priceline, and you're ready to bid now, let us know your maximum bid and we'll suggest a strategy for you to follow.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

At the 4* level you have eight re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 4* Downtown...

Bid $55, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $60, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $65, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $70, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $75, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $80, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $85, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $90, if rejected add re-bid zone...

Bid $95.

Any questions feel free to ask.

Good Luck and let us know how it goes.

no luck here with PRICELINE. went from $60 all the way up to $98 and NOTHING!! WIth HOTWIRE showing at $99, I'll give it another shot tomorrow other wise I may have to go for the Hotwire deal.

Unless someone here can advise somethign alternative? Maybe a particualr day of the week? Maybe wait a week? Any suggestions?

My feeling is that late bidding works better when booking 1 night as hotels are more likely to have free rooms for odd nights. As we want 4 nights, leavign it late might mean we might miss out on a good hotel/location.

By the way ... thanks for all the advise so far!!

Looking at the winning bids, $98 seems more than most ...

I'll be the first to admit i don't know if rates will go down... or up, between now and your stay.

However, i will add that it's not always a good idea to expect the same winning bid amounts that somebody else has received for dates which are different than your own. Hardly a scientific study, but as an example, i found the last winning pricelne bid for the Sheraton, and for these dates the winning bid was $58 while the Sheraton Website currently shows $199(CAD) for these dates. Checking your own dates the Sheraton website shows $256(CAD), which would imply it will take a higher bid than the previous example.

Keep us udpated as to your progress.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$10 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: SAVEMORE

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $100+ purchase... expires 05/19/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]