Cheapest Airfare from Raleigh, NC to Porto, Portugal

RDU
By RDU,
in

Hi,

I would like advice on obtaining the cheapest fare on a plane ticket from Raleigh-Durham, NC to Porto, Portugal leaving the 5th of September and returning the 19th of September. The lowest fare I can find at this point is $1081 r/t (airfare $772 + $309 taxes) on Cheaptickets. I would like to get a 40% discount by going the PRICELINE/HOTWIRE bidding route. Any suggestions?

Thanks,

RDU

Are your dates fixed? Do you have any interest in seeing some other places on the way there or back?

I would mention that Porto is a RyanAir destination. I have taken a number of flights around Europe with them that cost as low as 30 bucks out the door each way. Right now about the cheapest I see is 105 r/t to Porto from Paris. But they have sales all the time and you might be able to get to Porto from some city in Europe for half that if you keep a lookout.

Air India is flying from NY to Paris around those dates for just over 600 out the door.

There is a non-stop flight from Newark to Porto on air Portugal. Under 7 hours - tempting even though it costs more.

I wouldn't be optimistic that Air Portugal participates, but if PRICELINE guarantees max one stopover that might be the only flight that would qualify. Would be nice to get that non-stop for the price of some horrifying 20 hour travel day...

Right now, it is 740 from NY to Porto and you can spend as much time in NY or paris as you like along the way. Just have to get to NY.

FYI - be aware Ryanair has some pretty stringent baggage rules.

Hi Thereuare,

I was looking for the 40% discount on the base fare of $772, which I thought was the basis of determining a bid price on Priceline. My bids so far on Priceline have been way too low apparently, at $350 and $375. I am looking for a way to get a good price on the Air Portugal EWR-OPO route, since excessive stopovers are extremely tiring on a trans-Atlantic flight.

Hi Mrxow,

My dates are somewhat flexible, though I didn't think I had any interests of seeing anything else on the way over. I am travelling alone on the way over there to meet and stay with a friend. I am familiar with Ryanair, as I have flown them within the UK and from Germany to the UK. I was thinking about using them from Porto to Barcelona or Madrid once I arrive in Portugal. Great idea, though, thanks! I didn't think about the NY to Porto option for $740. Getting to NY (JFK or LGA) should not be a major problem. Again, great idea! Thank you, again. This is why joining/using a forum like this is such an advantage. Another perspective can sometimes be very helpful. I will let you know what happens.

Regards,

RDU

You have an 'almost infinite' amount of re-bids when bidding on airfare by following the techniques discussed in this Priceline Airfare Bidding thread... in particular the second post.

From there you can add city names near the RDU airport as your 'starting location' and should be able to select RDU each time, so you can start where you left off and increase $10, $20, $25 each time.

Please use this Priceline Airfare link to begin your bidding (also found in my signature of any posts on the board).

Let us know how it goes or if we can be of further help.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

If you make your trip to Barcelona or Madrid at the beginning or end of your trip, you can roll the cost of going there into the cost of getting to Porto. There are nonstops to both places from the states. Madrid, especially, might work well. The prices are lower and I think I saw US Airways with a route. You would leave RDU, stop somewhere (philadelphia?) then head straight to Madrid. I think the direct price was about 970 for that. You might be able to win it on PL for less. I'd be more optimistic than on the Air Portugal route, but of course it is worth tryting to get the Air Portugal route - just you have some other options.

The Ryanair flights from Madrid to Porto are 40+ dollars less than the ones from Barcelona. You might be able to get the Barcelona trip pretty cheap later on when they have a sale, though. Right now, Madrid to Barcelona on Ryanair is 80 bucks, plus maybe some fees if you check any bag(s). You could arrange to go to Madrid on the way over or back, then wait for a sale price that falls within your stay in Porto and grab that and go to both Madrid and Barcelona. :)

I am not sure bidding for Fridays has the best possibility of success. Often tuesdays, wednesdays and maybe saturdays are less crowded and maybe more open to deals. Make sure the routes you want are operating on the days you bid, though. I know Air India does not fly all its transatlantic flights every day.

It's a little nerve wracking to wait, but looking at the Iberia page, they are offering flights from the US to Madrid or Barcelona for as low as $505 from Boston or $574 from DC for flights by the end of April - not sure when that sale was first offered. Eventually there might be prices like that offered near your dates of travel. Your leave date is a little close to the summer rush. I saw, for instance, a price drop of over $100 on some flights between September 5 and the 8th, for instance...

• 2 weeks later...

Update--

After unsuccessfully bidding $600 on PRICELINE, I decided to play with the dates after September 5th per Mrxow's suggestion. I found a fare for $887 r/t on United that connects through Frankfurt, Germany on Sept 8th and decided to take it. I hate the inconvenience of going all the way to Germany, but it saves me $360 off the direct route and only delays me by a few hours (I hope and pray :) )! With the rise in price of jet fuel, I feel that ticket prices are only going to go up in the near future.

Thank you both for all your help,

RDU

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]