Priceline Hotel: HELP Las Vegas Strip Aug. 15-19

forsythia
By forsythia,
in

Thanks for this great web site!

A friend and I are planning a vacation to Las Vegas from Aug. 15-19. We're thinking about making back-up reservations at Mandalay Bay through the hotel's web site for $119 a night. We'd also like to try to bid on the Venetian through Priceline.

From what I've read, we should wait until Aug. 8 to bid on the Venetian. Of course, we'd love to get a $99 rate, but I'm not sure if that's possible since there are a couple of large conventions scheduled during our stay. Any advice on a bidding strategy? I haven't used Priceline in years and I've never been to Las Vegas.

Thank you very much.

Background:

A friend and I are planning a trip to Las Vegas from Aug. 15-19. We're going to bid on the Venetian via Priceline. We will not bid for 4* hotels on Priceline because we do not want to stay at the Westin Casuarina. This is our first trip to Las Vegas and I have never used Hotwire before.

Question:

If we don't get a good rate for the Venetian on Priceline, would it be worthwile to check prices on Hotwire for a 4* or a 4.5* hotel on the strip? Do prices on Hotwire usually go down the week before the dates of your vacation? Right now, the rates on Hotwire are a little high in my opinion: a 4.5* hotel is $155 per night and a 4* hotel is $123 per night. We can get a room at Mandalay Bay (through the hotel's web site) for $119 a night, so in my mind that's the price to beat.

Thank you!

You can keep all posts for this date in this thread (even the Hotwire ones) and if you ultimately purchase on Hotwire i'll move the thread over there... it gets too confusing and too many multiple posts with the same info in them if done the other way.

Check out this thread on HOTEL RATES... Early or Late? as it explains that there is really no set pattern. An exception may be the Venetian... their lowest rates are only available close to check-in. This isn't to say that their rates always go down as check-in approaches, as sometimes the hotel starts to fill up and then their rates either go up or aren't available at all.

You may also be interested in my thoughts in this link: Las Vegas One Exception i Don't Use Priceline as (other than the Venetian) i can usually find better deals than Priceline and Hotwire can offer.

I have often used QUICKBOOK for good rates in Vegas as well as the hotel's own websites. For example, don't know if you have your heart set on MB and/or if you are willingn to split your stay... but Bally's has the last two nites of your stay for $79/nite (first 2 nites for $109). Bally's isn't MB but i would consider splitting my stay just to be in a different part of the strip and save the extra money (cab fares from MB start to add up... and i'm also not into the 'club' and party scene that attracts many to MB). I'm sure other deals will being to appear between know and then... with the most 'serious' deals probably starting right before/after July 4th.

The other thing about Vegas is that rates change quick, so if you see a rate that is available and cancellable... book it as it may not be available the following day (just keep track of everything and make sure you cancel any prior reservations as you make new ones).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you very much for your reply. I appreciate your suggestions and will discuss them with my friend. It's interesting to hear that Mandalay Bay has a club/party atmosphere. I didn't realize that, and I've read many online and printed Las Vegas travel guides. We're not really into partying -- we just want to stay at a reasonably luxurious, but affordable, hotel on the strip and we liked the pool area at Mandalay Bay. The other hotels on the top of our list are Aladdin and Luxor. We hadn't really considered Ballys, but maybe we should give it another look.

Thanks again!

Bally's is not luxurious... but it's nice enough (for me).

More than luxury i personally like mid-strip better than the 4 corners area (Tropicana, Excalibur, MGM, and NYNY) so i prefer to stay mid-strip or closer to the Mirage. On the otherhand some people prefer the 4 corners area, which is why i suggest staying both and this way you'll know for next time (as in Vegas there's always a next time! :) )

MB has a reputation for thier pool area and it is the best on the strip (i've never been). I enjoy the pool at the Mirage as well.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We booked 4 nights at Mandalay Bay on their web site for $119 a night. We will get a full refund of our deposit if we cancel at least 48 hours before our stay.

I talked to my friend about staying at Bally's, but she didn't want to switch hotels. I really appreciate the suggestion, though.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]