Priceline Hotel: Bidding (Buying) Advice for Maui September or October 2008

lougehrig
By lougehrig,
in

I appreciate all the great information in this forum. I am weighing different options and think I can get a resort on Maui for a reasonable price based on what I read here.

I am also weighing another option of buying a "travel certificate" from eBay. Does anybody have any advice about these? Somebody is selling 7 days and 6 nights at the Maui Four Seasons for $1200 (includes a $400 refund), so 6 nights for $800 or $133 a night. They claim to be Square Trade Verified, but I am naturally apprehensive about such deals. Does anybody have any experience with this sort of certificate?

Welcome to BetterBidding!

I'm certainly no Ebay expert, but it doesn't sound right to me (or at least i would question a few things)...

-the certificate is only good for two people... this can't be used if traveling solo (why would such a clause exist, doesn't seem like something a hotel would impose)

-searching the web for the company they exist on only two website (ebay and citysearch)... if such a great deal they would be on a LOT of message boards, imo (to their credit, i didn't see anything negative about them either)

I would call the Four Seasons and ask if they are familiar with this company and/or if they have guests who use 'travel certificates' at check-in... that would be your first course of action and then take it from there.

I'm certainly not saying that it's not legit, but my radar would certainly be up and i would proceed very cautiously, as i am doubtful.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 3 weeks later...

Actually off the subject a bit, but on my last trip to Maui I purchased a some excursions from a hotel concierge that posted them on ebay. Long story short..I got to Maui and all my tickets for the excursions were bad...be very weary on Ebay. Usually if the deal sounds too good to be true,,then watch out.

But check it out you never know...I thought I did my homework on this guy, but he was a professional con artist and covered his tracks very well..he even had bogus referrals , he got many tourist before he skipped the island............ just be careful on ebay sometimes its not worth the savings you think you are getting.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]