Priceline Car rental FAQs?

dougieieie
By dougieieie,
in

Hi there,

Is there a post with Priceline Car FAQs?

I have some questions, but don't want to waste time if there's already a place to read up first.

I'll ask my main overall question before getting into specifics if needed later.

We want to rent a SUV for 4 people to travel for a week.

How does the rental company handle the smaller details, like # of drivers, or changing models if the SUV isn't right for us (too small for all our baggage?)

thanks in advance,

dougieieie

We'll just answer your questions here and if any of them are answered elsewhere we'll just provide links to those posts (or repeat the answer if it's short)

Most rental companies charge a fee for additional drivers, so you would be subject to the fee that the rental company charges (this would be the same for those who used PRICELINE or HOTWIRE as well as those who booked direct). This fee can be expensive, so it's something you have to consider when using the opaque providers since the policy, and fee, differs from company to company. There is a thread written by me just about 2 years ago here: Car Rental Additional Driver Fee

....or changing models if the SUV isn't right for us (too small for all our baggage?)
This one gets a little trickier, but i'll start by saying that all you are guaranteed is the size you rented or larger (if they are out of SUVs). If the car given ends up being too small for your needs, a LOT will depend upon availability... it is possible that they just won't have any larger cars available. If there is availability, you will need to work out some sort of arrangement with the car rental company... they could charge you a nominal fee OR charge you almost the full price of the larger car, although what would be "fair" to everyone in my opinion would be to pay the difference between the current rate for the larger car and the SUV you rented (so if the current rate of the car you need is $75/day and the current rate of the SUV is $60/day, it would seem fair for you to pay an additional $15/day for the larger car... but again, this is all dependent upon availability and hopefully the car rental company is willing to work with you on it).

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

We want to rent a SUV for 4 people to travel for a week.

skip the SUV and go for a Minivan, unless you are skiing in Tahoe or Colorado and need 4wd. You will have plenty of room for your gear and you will be more comfortable. That said, we rented an GMC Acadia as my Luxury car was not available; this was pretty big, handled great, and had plenty of room for 4.

Thanks for the replies.

Both answers are about what i expected.

i'm sure we will be fine with the SUV, but wondered how Priceline affected your ability to upgrade just in case.

I also wanted to make sure you could add extra drivers at pickup since there is not a spot on Priceline's site about that.

We will be willing to pay for at least one extra driver.

The other person "in charge" of the trip was going to book straight thru National and i thought we could save about $100 off the basic costs thru Priceline. These both seem "low risk" issues and worth using PL.

those were my two most important questions. If i think of any others, i'll post again.

thanks,

dougie

• 2 months later...

Hihi. I figured I should just add to this thread instead of making a new one.

First/ I am 23 years old. Most companies charge extra for under 25 (and outright will not accept anyone under 21). Will this charge be incorporated into the priceline bid already? As priceline does ask for your age IIRC.

Second/ Insurance. I understand liability insurance follows the driver, so I'm alright in that respect. There is also comprehensive and collision, just in case I get into a little accident on the way. How does priceline deal with these charges?

Cheers

TIA!

-k

When you bid on PRICELINE you would indicate that you're under 25 years old and the 'underage surcharge' should be added to the amount you choose to bid.

PRICELINE only books the car for you... if you were to have an accident it would be handled by the car rental company, not PRICELINE. At the counter you'll usually be offered to purchase various types of insurance directly from the car rental company, and it's usually a good idea to call your insurance agent beforehand to find out what's covered under your policy (and what coverage will/won't follow you to a rental vehicle)

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

• 4 weeks later...

Others have found their credit card company does 'pass thru' and conver their PRICELINE rentals, but as all credit card agreements differ, you should doublecheck with the issuer of your own card.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]