Priceline Hotel: 5* Las Vegas (North Strip)

DavidAUM
By DavidAUM,
in

Hello,

This is my first time posting and my first attempt at using Priceline. I have tried to review everything I could find on this site that would aid in this, so your patience in anything I may have missed is apprecaited. I hope I didn't miss something.

I am trying to book a 5* room on the Las Vegas Stip checking in on 4/18/08 (Friday) and checking out on 4/20/08 (Sunday). All reports tend to lean toward the North Strip (Venetian / Palazzo) as the best bets.

The property reservation sites with no discounts showed the rooms for $259/night.

I took a whack at it and it went like this:

I set off using the BetterBidding.com PRICELINE link.

I started my initial bid at $165/night (Too high of a start? Namby-pamby bid?) for a 5* Las Vegas (North Strip). I received a counter-offered at $226.

Added a re-bid zone (Convention Center). Re-bid at $171. I received a counter-offered at $226.

Added a re-bid zone (Airport LAS). Re-bid at $175. I received a counter-offered at $226.

Added a re-bid zone (Nelis). Re-bid at $175. I received a counter-offered at $226.

Added a re-bid zone (Fremont) Re-bid at $178. I received a counter-offered at $226.

Added a re-bid zone (West of Strip). Re-bid at $182. I received a counter-offered at $226.

I began to think I was doing something wrong. Either that or $226 was what I should expect.

So - I stopped. And now I seek the advice of those with greater experience.

Am I doomed to $226/night?

Please set me on a course with a strong plan of action.

I thank you in advance.

-David

Must be a busy weekend. you can probably get it around 212 to 214 if offer is 226. However, that seems really high, but it might be peak season now. Make reservation at 259, is that with all the promotions, if not google and look for promotions, make your reservation and you can bid once a day till then...well, until the last day to cancel...

At the 5* level you have seven re-bid zones. If you're not familiar with re-bidding please read Priceline Re-Bidding Explained and feel free to ask questions and/or confirm your re-bid zones with the board before proceeding.

Select 5* North Strip...

Bid $120, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $125, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $130, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $135, if rejected add re-bid zone4...

Bid $140, if rejected add re-bid zone5...

Bid $145, if rejected add re-bid zone6...

Bid $150, if rejected close browser and re-access priceline however you did previously...

Select 5* North Strip and re-bid zone7...

Bid $155, if rejected add re-bid zone1...

Bid $160, if rejected add re-bid zone2...

Bid $165, if rejected add re-bid zone3...

Bid $170

Any questions feel free to ask. I stopped at $170 since after PRICELINE's fee any higher would bring you above your $179 back-up rate.

Please use these PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links to begin your travel purchases.

Keep us updated as to your progress.

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

I tried tonight. I (mostly) followed the plan:

Select 5* North Strip...

Bid $120, rejected but received a counter for $177...much better than the counter yesterday

re-Bid $125, same counter

re-Bid $130, same counter

re-Bid $135, same counter

re-Bid $140, same counter

re-Bid $145, same counter

re-Bid $150 and then I received this message:

Try Again Right Now

We searched hundreds of options to find your hotel room, however we can't accept your offer of $150 per room, per night. Your credit card has not been charged for Request Number ###-###-###-##. If you are willing to raise your price by $25, you can try the same request again right now.

Normally you are required to change additional items (add zones, star level, or dates) in order to try your request again. However we are able to extend this one-time opportunity to you because of the zone, quality level and dates you requested.

I didn't bother given the $177 counters and the $179 I currently have booked.

Given the size of the counter drop in the last 30 hours, I am going to wait until tomorrow and start again before venturing higher than $150.

I will keep you posted.

-David

• 2 weeks later...

I tried again:

Select 5* North Strip...

Bid $120, rejected but received a counter for $226...sliding backwards

re-Bid $125, same counter

re-Bid $130, same counter

re-Bid $135, same counter

re-Bid $140, same counter

re-Bid $145, same counter

re-Bid $150, same counter

re-Bid $155, same counter

re-Bid $160, flat rejection - no counter

I'll try again some other day.

-David

• 3 weeks later...
Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]