CA San Diego Manchester Grand Hyatt

bbbb
By bbbb,
in

Check-in was a little slow as I came in late and there was only two desk clerks working the desk.Once it was my turn it went fast with no mention of priceline.There were no regency floor rooms available and as a diamond I asked for access to the Regency Club and was told it was full,I had to insist I recieve it and involve a manager before it was over.Hotel has a very nice lobby and two very nice pools,both with spas.The room was nice with a honor bar,desk and a very nice view of the marina and Coronado bridge.We could also look down on the small pool.This is a great hotel for priceline @ $70 but for full price,I stay somewhere else,as there are a lot of great hotels in this area.My vote for this area is the W hotel,too bad they dont come up on priceline.This hotel is in a great place for food,theres lots of restaurants all with in walking distance.$10 dollar ride from the airport as they dont have a free shuttle.

Self parking is $16 per night and is very easy.Theres street parking in the area but you can only park for two hours unless its a sunday or holday.Theres a street two blocks behind the Embassy Suites hotel that looked like you can park without restrictions but it could have been for the condo owners only,I didnt see any signs.Theres a nice seafood place a short 15 min walk down the water front called Anthonys fish grotto,its a little pricey but you can use the walk up window on the sidewalk thats a lot cheaper and has some outside seating.Theres a Ralphs grocery store about 4 blocks away with a great deli.Gaslamp is about a 15 min walk away and has a ton of restaurants that are a little cheaper then the ones at seaport village.You can catch a shuttle boat ($4 round trip)a short walk from the hotel that will take you over to Coronado Island where theres a nice shoping area with some more restaurants.Petco Park is about a 10 or 15 min walk away.You can catch the San Deigo trolley about four blocks from the hotel,that will take you to Mission Valley mall or Tijuana Mexico for about $5 round trip.Don"t walk in the small park two blks behind the Embassy Suites hotel,its full of home less people sleeping and might not be that safe,day or night.

• 5 months later...

I arrived well before check in time and asked the new tower. I was given a room in the new tower and allowed to check in a few hours early! The hotel was beautiful and the room was also very nice, staff was helpful and friendly. Very good location. Only minor complaint the Hotel was very busy and there was always a long wait to get the car from the valet and they would not let me call down for the car. I would stay here again.

• 1 year later...

I stayed here 4/29 - 30 2006. I checked in late (about 1am) and the checkin was easy and smooth. I got a 2 double bed room in the Seaport Tower. The common areas of the hotel were amazing. The rooms were nice, but a little small compared to the Hyatts in Anaheim and Jersey City. I was also woken up by a train whistle at night which I definately was not expecting. Overall I was happy with the hotel, but wasnt floored due to the small room and the train whistles at night.

• 4 months later...

I stayed at this hotel and I can definitely say that this is a nice hotel. The pool deck was nice and breezy as well. There are towels available at the pool deck. It has a nice workout facility in which you have to pay. I was put up there for 4 nights on 8/9-13/2006 for my company's sales annual conference. We had the conference on property the entire time. The rooms are plain looking but clean. The bathroom is very spacious, although the tub was a little low to take a bath in. You probably don't want to open your window at night because of the train. As far as transportation goes, you can get onto the trolley across the street. It is $1.50 one way if you are only traveling within downtown.

I called Ace Parking Management, Inc. at 619.233.6624 and talked to customer service. Ace owns or operates most of the parking lots and structures in SD. They gave me some pointers on parking. On non-Padres game days, you can park at a lot near PETCO Park for $3/day. You have to buy as many parking tickets for however many days you need. However, there are no in and out privileges, so you might want to take note. The parking privilege ends at 6 AM the next day from whenever you started. For me, I didn't need to go anywhere, so I parked there the entire time without any problems. I dropped off our luggage there and drove to the parking lot. I then took the trolley back to the hotel and got off at the Seaport Village trolley stop. It cost me $1.50.

The bed is not pillowtop like Marriott or Ritz Carlton, but it wasn't uncomfortable either. Any questions, please feel free to ask.

Phoenix, AZ

• 1 month later...

Even on Padres game days you can park in the Convention Center parking lot for $8-10/day. It's a very reasonable walk from the Hyatt or the Marriott -- 5-10 minutes or so. You can walk on the Bay side for a lovely view of the bay and the yachts, etc. Park in the far south end of the basement garage. From the garage upper level walk to the south, and look for an obscure door with an Exit sign on it. Don't be scared to walk down a long winding tunnel, out a door, and then up some stairs, and out more doors to the outside. Then head out toward the west, then the north, and you'll see a well-traveled walkway that takes you to the convention hotels.....

Alternatively, you can walk up the east stairs from the garage, and once outside look for the immense stairway that goes up and over the convention center, and back to the bay walkway I mentioned above. Sometimes its glass elevator is operating that can take you up. There is another elevator that can take you part way down if you head to the right and down after you've reached the top west plaza.

FYI, as you can tell, the Convention Center is not very pedestrian friendly, and certainly not disabled friendly. Their elevators only work about half the time....

• 4 years later...

It appears no one has reviewed this hotel in about 3 years.

Arrived before Easter 2011. Very nice Hotel. Parking was $26 (Yikes!) and on the last day one of the garage elevators broke. (only 1 working). Internet was $9.95 for personal and $12.95 for high speed but if you sign up as a Gold Member at the desk you get the internet for free.

Interior is incredible. Like in a museum. Most of the staff were friendly, I did encounter a front desk person who was a little out of it (out of the 5 times I went there).

My tower (There were 2 ) had 6 elevators. No waiting for up! (Down was another story..hehe)

Pros

Room was incredibly huge. Asked for a rollaway bed and it fit neatly between bed and wall and did not reduce the space available (Made getting into that side of the bed a bit of a leap).

Nice view of pool and Seaport village.

Nice set of channels on TV (24 I think)

Cons

(Note: Even though there are cons, the hidden 'pros' outweigh it).

Neighbors LOVED to party. Each night I had a different 'noisy' neighbor roaming the halls and the door bottom does not seal out the noise.

Bathroom does not have an internal fan. (I will not go into more detail as most of you know what I mean).

Housekeeping staff was a bit lazy. Forgot to give new soaps on day 2, and didn't even clean the room at 5:30PM (Had to call in). We NEVER had our coffee cups (Which are served in a surprising paper version)

Noteable Things Nearby

Is next to Seaport Village. Closest hotel to it.

Richard Walkers Pancake house - $20 per person 3 blocks away. 20 Minute wait in line.

Ralphs Supermarket - 4 Blocks away

Busters Restaurant - next door in Seaport village.

Kansas City BBQ - Home of a scene of Top Gun.

Trolley Stop - Every 20 mins and for $5 you can go around most of SD like Old Town, Both Stadiums and SDSU. Note it does not stop at the Zoo , Sea World, or Wild Animal park.

So all in all 4* solid. If they soundproofed the rooms and fix the housekeeping staff, it would've been a 5*

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]