Priceline Hotel: 3* Newark (Jersey City) Hyatt on the Hudson

copper04
By copper04,
in

I am not too familiar Priceline , I used it once for Munich Germany about 5 years ago.

However my wife and I are flying into Newark airport mid April and we would like to stay in Jersey City for easy access to New York. I like the reviews of the Hyatt regency on the Hudson and Doubletree Club Suites. If we bid for Jersey City 3* will we get one off these or is there a danger of be given a hotel that is not in Jersey City. ?

Am I correct in assuming that in Map 2 (Jersey City) on Priceline there are really only two 3* hotels as below and one 2.5*

(Courtyard by Marriot).

Would I be reasonably safe in bidding as follows in order to have a chance of getting Hyatt or Doubletree.

Any suggestions of what to bid would be of great help.

Jersey City (Priceline Map 2)

3* Upscale

3 nights

2 persons.

Jersey City Price line Map 2.

3* Doubletree Club Suites REVIEW / tripadvisor review

3* Hyatt Regency On The Hudson REVIEW / tripadvisor review

2.5* Courtyard by Marriott REVIEW / tripadvisor review

Thanks for your assistance

Would like to stay in Jersey City at either Doubletree Suites or Hyatt on the Hudson.

Country Inn & suites also would be good.

Dates 15, 16, 17 April 2008.

Two persons.

Arriving at Newark from Europe/ Ireland.

Bidding on Priceline for 3* upscale on their Map area 2 wopuld seem to confine bid

to either of above with 2.5* to include Country Inn and Suites.

Any advice greatfull received

Thank You

I have been bidding for a 3* upscale hotel in Jersey City with the hope on winning the Hyatt on the Hudson.

I am trying for 3 nighs commencing 15th April 2008. (Ngihts 15/16/17th April)

On reading the very informative postings I started off as follows

Day1 bid $95 ... Refused

Day 2 Bid $109 ... Refused

Day3 Bid $129 ... Refused

Day4. Tried various cominations of the dates to get in 3 bids of $139... Refused

I note from two recent posts that the Hyatt was won for much less than amounts above.

Is bidding for three nights as one bid a poor strategy. ??

Would it be better to bid for two nights and then make a seperate bid in for the remaining night.?

Should I drop the hotel rating to 2.5* and hope for an upgrade from Priceline.

I note the last poster on the New Jersey Forum did just that.

Winning the Courtyard Marriot would not be a disaster. !

The current rate for the Hyatt is $339 per night. I have followed your advice to others and

have booked the Courtyard Marriot (2.5*) in Jersey City for the 3 nigths as a backup.

I have the option to cancel up until day of arrival.

If you can offer any advice on my bidding method I would be obliged.

I realise that now that I have had time to read most of the Tips that I should have finished

off my last posting. As I did not end up using Priceline I did not realise it was necessary.

In future I will comply with the rules.

Thank you for any advice you can offer on a better bidding stragedy.

Regards from the Emerald Isle.

The more experienced members can help you with a bidding/re-bidding strategy that may be more effective. But in the interim: HOTWIRE is showing a property that could be a match for the Jersey City Hyyatt at $305/night for your dates. That looked quite high to me, so I wonder if this is part of the problem. In comparison: when I got the $95/night rate on PRICELINE, it looked like HOTWIRE had the JC Hyatt at only $172 or $179 (don't remember exactly). Your dates may coincide with a more heavily booked period with fewer anticipated surplus rooms and higher prices.

I don't know how to link in a message to Better Biddings' PRICELINE and HOTWIRE links, but you can access both via the Support Links tab, above, which will help fund this site :)

Bidding on Priceline for 3* upscale on their Map area 2 wopuld seem to confine bid

to either of above with 2.5* to include Country Inn and Suites.

See the comments at the top of the Priceline Hotel List... you could be the first to report a new hotel (or an 'old' hotel at a new star rating)

The Hyatt and Doubletree are in a different zone than the Country Inn and Suites... by the name PRICELINE uses for the zone, what area area you refering to as "Map area 2"?

Please use this HOTWIRE and these PRICELINE LINKS: HOTELS, CAR RENTALS, and AIRFARE to begin your travel purchases

Thank you "Jenga" for the reply and also adminstrator. I note when you won the Hyatt for Mrach it was approx. two weeks

prior to arrival date. I tried again today going up to €159 but refused. I will give it a rest for a few days and try nearer the arrival date. Maybe keeping a watch on Hotwire may give an indication of when rooms are being sold.

We can get a €309 rate for the Hyatt from their own site as we are seniors.

Thanks again.

I note there is an error in my previous post regarding area 2.

The reference to the Country Inn and Suites 2.5* should have been Courtyard By Marriot.

That is the one I have booked as a back up.

From the maps there would appear to be just 3 hotels in Jersey City zone 2.

3* Hyatt/Doubletree + 2.5* courtyard.

I understand there is always a chance a new one can be added that is not currently listed.

Thank you for the help, I will post on any progress over the next few weeks.

Is it possible to get to a Wallmart via public transport from Jersey City and what is the most convient one. ?

Thanks for the info., Target is good enough for my requirements.

Another thought came to me today regarding my refusals so far for Jersey City 3* Upscale.

Its a number of years since I used my credit card on Priceline to buy a hotel in Munich, Germany.

Probably 5/6 years ago at least. When I sign in to Priceline it is automatically bringing up my credit card number ( coded except for last four digits) Is it possible that for instance the "expire date &&/@@ is still the original one from years

ago and this would cause the credit card to be rejected.

If a credit card is rejected does the Priceline system tell one that rejection is due invalid credit card

or is it just the standard refusal. ???

I would be very interested if anyone can comment on this possibility.

Thanks again

it looks like the Hyatt is available on HOTWIRE for $159 for your dates of travel when I entered 2 adults. You may be able to get this for a cheaper bid by going with PRICELINE.

according to the BetterBidding hotel list for the Newark (Hoboken - Jersey City) zone

4* Hyatt Regency Jersey City on the Hudson

Amenities: Restaurant, Pool, Fitness, Hi-Speed Internet, Business

if you proceed with a PRICELINE bid, you must be willing to accept any 3* in that zone.

Thank you, I will bid they this link on PRICELINE and see what happens. We would be happy even at $159 for The Hyatt on HOTWIRE as it has very good review.

The only thing put me off Hotwire is the distance given from Newark airport to the Hyatt on the HOTWIRE site is 7.8 miles

and it does not corrospond with distances on Trip Advisor.

Does the administrator have any comment on that or are we reasonable sure the 4* customer favourite in Hoboken - Jersey City) zone E is the 4* Hyatt Regency Jersey City on the Hudson. ?

The amenities seem to corrospond ok

Thanks again for help.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]