Hotwire Hotel: 4* Chicago (NMA-Water Tower-Gold Coast) Ambassador East

kanderber
By kanderber,
in

Looking for something under $100 for a stay in Chicago. Either out by O'Hare or somewhere Downtown near an El stop. Location isn't too important; quality of the hotel is. I hope this is the format that it's supposed to be. Any help?

Edited to add: After scanning this forum pretty quickly, I found Club Quarters on Wacker. That looks to be pretty ideal. Any tips to ensure that I get a good deal on that specific hotel for the above date? Thanks!

Unfortunately, "ensure" and "Priceline" aren't two things that go together. When you bid, you have to be willing to accept whatever may come up. There's absolutely no way to ensure a specific hotel.

The CQ Wacker and CQ Loop (there are two locations) are 3* hotels in the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area of the city.

Oddly enough, HOTWIRE has what appears to be both hotels. If you look up your date on HOTWIRE, you will see a:

3.5* Mag Mile/Streeterville fitness, business, restaurant, laundry. $99. Likely CQ Wacker.

3.5* Loop fitness, business, restaurant, laundry. $89 Likely CQ Loop

In terms of PRICELINE, the CQ locations are under the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park zone and both are 3*. If you want to bid for these, a reasonable starting bid would be $80. However, I'd rather recommend bidding for a 4* for $80 instead, as I think you have a chance of the Hyatt potentially accepting for that much.

As for the HOTWIRE listings, I think it's worthwhile to pay $10 more for the CQ Wacker. It's a much better location, in my opinion. It may be a block or two further away from an "L" station than the CQ Loop is (the CQ Loop is maybe 2-3 blocks from a station, the CQ Wacker 4-5), but it's just a far more central location on the river. You would also be near Michigan Ave. and the restaurants of River North.

The area around the CQ Loop will likely be very quiet later in the evening/at night. It's primarily a business area around there, and when everyone goes home for the night, everything (stores and most restaurants) close up.

We would greatly appreciate if you use the site's links to HOTWIRE or PRICELINE to start your purchase, as it helps the site.

Of course, myself or another forum member are also happy to answer any questions.

Aaron, thanks a bunch for the help. I greatly appreciate it. Let me ask you this question, just out of curiosity... as for the Hotwire CQ Wacker one, how confident are you that that's what it is? Would you say 50/50, or more like 90/10? Thanks again.

Also, I just looked on Hotwire and didn't see a $99 hotel...

Unfortunately, I'm not seeing this listing today when I look. They must have had only one or two Hotwire rooms at that rate. However, the 3.5* Mag Mile/Streeterville listing I saw last night did certainly look very likely to be the CQ Wacker. Are you still seeing it today?

Not against it at all. In fact, I'm not picky at all in regards to the hotel.

You seem to be a Chicago resident... let me explain my situation to you and maybe you can help me even more than you already have. I'm flying up on a Thursday morning (into Midway). I intend to take the El to a hotel, drop off my suitcase, and then take the El to Wrigley to go to a Cubs game. The next afternoon, I'll be flying from O'Hare into Minneapolis to spend the weekend up there. I want the hotel to have a bar or be near a bar so I can have a few drinks that Thursday night. So, really, I'm not partial to any hotel so long as it's relatively inexpensive and of good quality. And within a few blocks of an El stop.

One more quick question... when you say the Hyatt, do you mean the Hyatt Regency? I'm trying to look it up on TripAdvisor.

Thanks!

Yep, the Hyatt Regency. That is a bit of a walk from the nearest "L" station, but not too bad - it is a block further than the CQ Wacker (it's about a block further East of that hotel.)

While the Hyatt is a block further from the "L", it does benefit from being near the River North area, which has a wide variety of bars and also legendary former Cub announcer Harry Caray's restaurant, which is walking distance from the Hyatt.

Additionally, no guarantee that the Hyatt will be what you do win if an $80 4* Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area bid is accepted, but the other main possibility would be the Palmer House. If you got that, you'd be right by a few different "L" stations.

Additionally, and this may not be the greatest option, but there is a train from Chicago's downtown Union Station to Minneapolis. Certainly a longer trip, but you wouldn't have to make the long (about 55-60 minute) trip out to ORD from downtown. That would certainly be a more scenic route, but just throwing it out there as an option.

Also, if you were not accepted at $80, you could try again for $85 tomorrow or attempt a 3* bid in the same area for $80. I just tend to think that there's more 4* inventory than 3* inventory, as there's quite a few more 4*'s than 3*'s.

Common 3*'s in the Millennium Park/Loop/Grant Park area are the 2 CQ's. Much rarer lately are the Silversmith and the Allegro (although the Allegro was closed for a while; it may start reappearing now.)

The 3*'s in the River North/NMA area include the Holiday Inn Mart Plaza, the City Centre, the 2 Embassy Suites properties, the Radisson and the Allerton. The Allerton, City Center and Mart Plaza are probably the most common, followed by the ES's and then the Radisson. The Marriott Mag Mile is also a "once-in-a-while" 3*.

Tried a 3* at $85 and was denied again. My impatience got the best of me and I wound up going to HOTWIRE and paying (after taxes) $120 or so for what wound up being the Ambassador East. What are your thoughts on that place? Also, how close is it to an El stop? Thanks again for all your help, Aaron. It's really been a huge help to me.

One more real quick question... does it make more sense to fly into Midway or O'Hare?

I actually really like the Ambassador East. It is not the best hotel in the city, it is not the sleekest hotel in the city (not surprising, given its age), but it is a "Chicago" hotel.

This is a hotel in the Gold Coast area, which is a very nice, upscale area a few minutes walk North of the Michigan Ave. shopping area. While I generally do recommend the River North nightlife area a little more, you are in an area where there are multiple bars - everything from higher end (the Whiskey Bar at the Sutton) to more casual joints. It is one of Chicago's more/most popular nightlife areas.

There are also quite a few restaurant choices nearby. Again, everything from upscale to casual (Chipotle, Corner Bakery.) There's also an Edwardos Pizza a block over on Dearborn (a couple of doors North of the intersection of Dearborn and Division, on Dearborn.) Edwardo's isn't considered the finest of Chicago's Pizza offerings, but I think they make a really good pizza and are really sort of underrated. There is a CVS on the corner of State/Division and a Walgreens on the corner of Division/Dearborn if you need snacks/toiletries. There's a giant Jewel on Clark/Division if you need any groceries.

You are also in a hotel that is a very historic property and I do tend to recommend hotels that are "uniquely Chicago" (the Intercontinental's another) because, while they may not be the very finest hotels the city has to offer, you do get to experience something uniquely historic and very much "Chicago" (I mean, in terms of the Ambassador East, it's even mentioned in the lyrics to "Chicago"). In terms of the Ambassador, "North By Northwest" had a scene filmed there, Zepplin trashed a suite in the 70's, Phil Collins named his debut "No Jacket Required" after he was denied entry to the hotel's Pump Room restaurant and more.

Celebs now put themselves up at the Peninsula or The Park Hyatt, but for a long time - especially in the 50's-80's, the Ambassador East was the place for visiting celebs. There are celeb suites named after those who've stayed there, and there is a wall of signed photos from those who've either visited the restaurant or stayed there. So, again, it's no longer "the place" for celebs, but you're staying in a building that used to be frequented by the likes of Bogart, Bacall, Sinatra, Judy Garland and many others throughout the years. So, that is a neat part of it. Plus, the nice thing - at least in my opinion - is that the hotel is surrounded by a series of beautiful, historic (one of Frank Lloyd Wright's early works is a few blocks away) apartments. So, it's not a hectic area, but the stores, bars and restaurants start 2-3 blocks South. To the North about 15-20 minutes walk (and very nice walk) is the Zoo (free.)

http://www.pumproom.com/history.html - history of the restaurant.

The subway's really easy. It's only a few blocks away on Clark/Division, which is only no more than a 3-4 minute walk. This is better in terms of being close to the subway than the Hyatt or CQ options were.

It makes way more sense to fly into Midway. Not as long a trip from Midway to downtown.

What you're going to do from Midway is take the Orange Line "L" from Midway to Roosevelt. Switch there to the Red Line and continue heading Northbound to Clark/Division. At Clark/Division, walk 3 blocks East on Division to State, then a couple blocks North on State. Can't miss the hotel.

In terms of getting from the hotel to the game, take the Red Line Northbound from Clark/Division to Addison, then Wrigley's literally 2 blocks West of that station.

In terms of going out to O'hare, you will take the Red Line Southbound from Clark/Division to Jackson. Switch there to the Blue Line and take that O'Hare-bound. That will be a longer trip, so do plan to make time for that journey.

Very happy to help, and please feel free to ask if you have any additional questions.

It is probably 7-15 minutes (depending on how long you have to wait for a train) from the Clark/Division stop to the Jackson stop, then another 55-60 minutes on the Blue Line from Jackson to ORD.

I was going to say take Southwest Airlines from Midway to Minneapolis, but - surprisingly - they don't go to Minneapolis.

You could take Northwest or Airtran out of Midway for $49 bucks from Midway to Minneapolis.

Just suggesting Midway because the trip from there downtown isn't as bad as from downtown to ORD. But, if you have to go out of ORD, then it will probably take 60-70 minutes to get there.

And if you are doing all that commuting on the EL don't forget to buy a visitor's transit pass before you leave the airport or order one off the CTA website before leaving home. At $5 - 1 day, $9 - 2 day, $12 - 3 day... It saves money because you have to pay for every transfer in Chicago. The visitor pass is only available at the airport or main CTA building, must be purchased from a special machine (not the regular ones), runs for 24 hours from first use and allows you to hop on and off buses or trains at will.

All this makes it sound hard to get a Visitors Transit Pass. It's amazing how seldom they are used by tourists, how much money it saves and how helpful it is to hop on a bus in bad weather or when lost for free (prepaid actually). Just ask the CTA folks at the airport station and they will point you to the correct machine. Exact change needed.

P.S. When using the pass on a bus always, always ask the driver which slot to put the VISITORS pass in. There are 3 choices and 2 are the wrong choice. The right slot changes positions on each bus. Put it in the wrong slot and your pass will be eaten and not returned. Why CTA does not fix that mess I'll never know. Fortunately we kept our receipts and CTA refunded our money for the one we lost. This is not a problem on the El because all passes are returned.

• 1 month later...
The visitor pass is only available at the airport or main CTA building, must be purchased from a special machine (not the regular ones)

I order my visitor passes off the CTA website. Five of us in my family go to Chicago for vacation every year along with Cubs games. CTA will just mail them to you, and they don't start untill the first day you use them. They are great. No fishing for change and can save you lots of money.

Need help with your own trip?

Register now, we have a huge community of travel enthusiasts to answer any questions you might have.

Create an account

Register a new account
Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
EXCLUSIVELY at BetterBidding:
$15 OFF

PRICELINE COUPON

(click here) and use

promo code

: EXPLORER15

(Hotel Express Deals in USD $150+ purchase... expires 05/05/2024)
QUICKQUOTE [X]
PRICELINE & HOTWIRE on one screen!
NOTE: Priceline searches for
DOUBLE OCCUPANCY ONLY
Room %roomN%:
Age of child:
FINDFAST[X]